Unique Wiring?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Binx, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,
    I was wondering what unique wiring you guys have seen on different guitars?

Just kind of looking for some passive ideas for future projects, not onboard effects. I have done a few builds and really the only non standard wiring I have done is a coil split in a tele neck humbucker to switch between the bucker and a single coil.

Seeing some of these old harmony guitars with all the knobs, or neil Young's gretsch with tons of switches just kind of makes me curious of what other people have tried for fun

guitarmoron likes this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

I just posted a reply to the 3 different pickup threads, did a couple of custom lashups for a guy who loves JagStangs

IMG_5093.JPG

And I know you talked about passive stuff, but this was the guitar from hell

IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3200.JPG

3. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

On your jag style guitar are the slider switches phase switches?
    Also that humbucker cover is awesome, where did you find that??

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I did 3 humbucker guitar, all picked 4 wire pickups, 12(?) position rotary, 3-pole switch. Also had 3 toggle switches, for something...
    I was sort of copying a BC Rich.
    Wiring nightmare.

In the end, most positions didn't sound too different and when I found something I liked I could never find it again.
    These days I don't do much more than a Telecaster 4-way switch.
    If I want a different sound I grab a different guitar.
    (Not being negative, just saying I went a little OCD)

hellopike likes this.
  5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Here's the circuit for wiring I have used a few times which I think gives a good variety of different sounds. Involves two humbuckers and a 5-way fender switch.

DC rgcustomwiring 5 way switching.jpg

6. Freeman Keller

My notes indicate that the neck pickup is series-off-coil split, the bridge is series-off-out of phase. The three position switch is a pretty normal LP style - neck-both-bridge. The pots are volume, treble cut and bass cut. My friend told me what he wanted, I asked if he had a schematic, he said no, I said the clock was running, he didn't blink.

Which humbucker cover are you asking about? The Vee has a pretty standard EMG in the bridge and the sustainer at the neck - both have stock covers. I had the pickguard made by a local trophy engraver for the various switches for the sustainer. The back is the two 9 volt battery compartments and a little voltmeter to check their status before a gig.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

While some want to try out all the possible combinations (head over to the guitarnutz2 forum for 'truly nutzoid schemes'), in the end you'll realize you want simple switching for gigs and for remembering what is what six months later after soldering.

What I tend to use over and over, and I've tried and rejected a lot of the fancy mods:
    -Strat: Armstrong Blender mod (classic SSS blends into HSH with only a wiring change)
    -Tele: 4-way switch ($11 switch gives extra position in classic SS Tele for series humbucker)

Here are the ones to look for:
    -7-tone switch/Gilmour mod
    -Physical swap of a pair of Strat pickups in the pickguard (no soldering required) to get Tele 3-way (bridge and neck parallel) plus the middle options, gives up one of the quack options.
    -Ibanez RG series wiring, like the previous post in this thread
    -Brent Mason Tele he used for years until he got some signature model sponsors
    -Steve Morse's Tele and the two Music Man signature models
    -St Vincent bow-tie Music Man signature model
    -the 400 different tones Strat on guitarnuts2 forum
    -Tonefiend PTB youtube video and article, basically best of G&L S-500 and Reverend Bass Contour circuits.

8. Freeman Keller

I'll add one to jvin's list. If you do dual humbuckers with individual pots (LP, 335), consider the wiring mod that allows you to turn one volume all the way off without killing the other pickup. Its shown at StewMac's site

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Though I probably don't need all its features, I'm going to do the Jimmy Page wiring set-up for some future HH build - I already got all the components in the "build queue."
    It is externally the same as normal HH Les Paul/335 wiring, but all 4 pots are push-pulls and it does most everything...
    jp_style.jpg

11. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Single "unique-est" writing I've done was to put in push pull pots for phase and series/ parallel plus a 6 position today stitch with 5 different cap values, an inductor and two mini toggles that allowed me to do high pass, low pass, band pass, or notch filters with variable sweeps ,all in a tele control cavity. Talk about a nightmare. But I got the idea and couldn't leave it alone.

I have done other crazy writing schemes as well, but I have landed on a master volume and master passive treble/ bass tone control as my standard. I feel that gives me the most bang for my wiring buck.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I used to be into wiring up all kinds of weird. If its there i appreciate it and will use it very occasionally but I'll typically find one or two settings i like and spend 95% of the time in them.

I usually stick a bass contour on my guitars especially if they have humbuckers. I have a guitar with all the pickup config options you could wish for, series, parallel, in and out of phase and a diverse shs pickup configuration.

I've done some other electronics stuff, I designed a variable capacitor which shifts a pickups reaonant peak down to a lower frequency.

13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

20160215_154710 (1).jpg

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I set up a strat w 28 combos. I ended up using 3 mainly w 2 more on occasion. I do recommend, for Strats any way , putting 2 p-ups in parallel then in series w the third . That gives a full, clear , powerful ,best of both worlds tone w sparkle and beef.

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

BTW , just for fun I did a schematic w all 156 Strat p-up combos using 2, 5 ways and , I think 3 , 4 pole center off toggles. It requires 120+ soldering points.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I forgot to add this one, Gibson's additional attempt at a Fender Fighter.
    The back story on this guitar is at http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/L6S.htm
    The neck is carved like a skinny Strat (closest is to a Squier Strat that didn't exist back then), and the body is just a little off, too big yet too thin. Easy to see why it didn't catch on just for the chassis -- it wouldn't have fans in either Gibson or Fender camps.
    It does hit the Strat and Tele tones and the coil in it seems like an early 'Q-filter' idea, or at least a test for Bill to use that system, or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You want unique? Try a Gibson L6 lol. The Gibson faithful hated it which made me love it.They have three pots,volume,treble roll off,bass roll off and a six way switch giving a bewildering set of options,all good.You don't have to have a Gibson for the wiring,just two humbuckers.You can't do the old components, ut thanks to Bill Lawrence who designed it there are newer options.It's a deep rabbit hole,let me know if you're interested

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  18. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

Don't forget Gibby's S-1. It has 3 single-coils (tho Bill Lawrence described it as "a single pickup with three coils, rather than three pickups.")

The S-1 had one 2 way toggle switch and a "chicken head" 4 position rotary switch. This 4 way rotary switch made it possible to use the pick-ups in 4 different ways: 1) neck + middle, 2), middle pick-up + bridge pick-up, 3) all three together, and 4) the neck and bridge out of phase. In the down position the 2 way toggle switch bypassed the entire 4 position rotary switch circuit and made one straight connection to the bridge pick-up...

19. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

For you guys who have used the rotary switch to change cap values (which I think is similar to the gibson varitone but without the inductor) how do you like it?

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I set up a friends Strat w a choice of: .1, .047, .022, .01, .005 and I forget what the remaining value is, I think it was 1.0 for trad jazz tone. He's found it quite useful...
    I did just a toggle w .022 and .005 for a Strat; and that was great for normal or just ice-pick removal...
    My current main Strat is set up w a linear 1 meg pot that acts as a V-T combo. One end is grounded directly , the other thru a .022 cap. Moving from off on the non-cap side the sound changes subtlely do to loading changes, then a ways past midway it sounds like a normal tone control, but better to my ears. Next string change I m adding a 50K resistor to the other end so it won t go off and a rotary w cap choices to where the cap is. After I do it I plan on doing a demo thread w sound samples, but that will be a while. It sounds different enough for anyone to give it a try since its very few componets and little soldering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.