Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unfinished guitars...Let's see 'em!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by goldguitarguy, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I'd leave the body as it is assuming it's stable, it's definitely a conversation piece and looks cool in its own way. I'd put a custom decal on the headstock and name it something like a trashcaster ;)

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    [​IMG]

Mustang_Build_Brainy_Ebony.png

It will get there one day, as soon as I've finished paying off the finance on that orange amp.

Barncaster likes this.
  3. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    I have 5 builds (no pics of flying v) , the amplifier in background, and a es335 kit. After I bought our House (with 16x24 shop) I had to unretire to get tools for it. What a vicious circle! 1510357764989.jpg 1510357778104.jpg 1510357792218.jpg 1510357832583.jpg

bender66 likes this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    It is tempting, I used to have a source of see-through scratchplates, if I could find one I might do it.

Asmith likes this.
  5. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

May 3, 2007
    Ocean View near Bris Aust
    Hoop Pine.

[​IMG]

Camphor Laurel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then this cap.

[​IMG]

Should look like this when done.

[​IMG]

Rain Tree.

[​IMG]

Paulownia Esquire.

[​IMG]

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Curly Maple on White Walnut IMG_5383.JPG IMG_5382.JPG

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow. There's some nice looking guitars and wood creeping up in here!

DrASATele likes this.
  8. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    That's really nice doc! Never too much blue.

DrASATele likes this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yes. It's certainly a very striking looking burst.

DrASATele likes this.
  10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Thanks guys, inspired by St. Mary. Those 2 color are the ones most associated with her and since this is for St. Mary's School, my sons school, I'm pretty happy with it. It's the first odd color combo where I was able to get my own vision to actually flesh out. I had tried a white wash between the 2 colors on some scrap and that did not work well. I also thought of bleaching the maple but ultimately stuck with the natural beauty and it worked.
    That is just the shellac layers in the pic. I stained the edges blue by spraying and using a template. I then stained the center with a rag. I sanded it back about 4 times. I used various strengths of Amber to help give it depth. I stained the back blue and only sanded that back once. Then I coated the whole thing in clear shellac. I then tinted some clear shellac blue and used an air brush to shoot it on front and back to brighten the burst. I used amber shellac to highlight the center and add depth. Then one last round of clear. Next I'll shoot a layer of clear lacquer followed by more toner coats of blue for the edges and amber for the center.

Barncaster and coonhollow greg like this.
  11. Manny012

Manny012 Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Still going on this one....

IMG_20170904_213500_829.jpg IMG_20170728_142943_796.jpg

Zepfan and DrASATele like this.
  12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    You should post with date and time sign on the next build challenge.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Get some clear on that and wire it up!

Barncaster likes this.
  14. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    [​IMG]ion

All I need to finish is motivation and a clean garage!

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I picked up a NOS Gretsch Corvette body, Honduran mahogany from the 1960s. A so-called “Nashville body”, from the old Sho-Bud facility. I plan on making it into a Covette Jr., single P-90 with a Gibson scale length, in Pelham Blue, naturally (someday).

464619D8-3540-49F1-9A7E-E13FABCC3980.jpeg C55E99FF-6A13-47CA-A422-C0A30F46C881.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  16. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Had this puppy sitting up for ages. Keep telling myself I'll do it soon. I promise I really really REALLY will do it soon :D

A 70's Epiphone EA-250. Previous owner decided to strip it and attempted to sand back the finish and quite obviously gave up (why I do not know). The neck is in a really bad state, frets are chewed, gouges in the board, nut needs to be replaced. The body itself is ok. Looks like they took off the tailpiece with a hacksaw! The screws are still in there!

Haven't decided fully what I'm gonna do with this but the main issue is the neck, thankfully I've been in touch wth a guy who says it's an easy job, frets and nut can easily be replaced and he can fill the gouges and level the board so it's smooth. I'll drop it to him eventually when I get some spare cash.

EA250 1.JPG EA250 2.JPG EA250 3.JPG EA250 4.JPG

17. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    The one with the walnut top is fully hallow with a 1/8in top, less after sanding. The maple top is a semi hollow. IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7228.JPG

18. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Gawd, that figuring in the maple. I'd have a problem not drooling all over that and ruining it.

Barncaster likes this.
  19. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Samuelmorrissey, check out that EA-250 body very carefully. I had one that disassembled itself from string tension. As I recall there was no kerfing in the body. The top was just glued to the edge of the rims and it just popped off. First indications were the top binding being loose on the horns at it's bottom edge.
    Cheers,
    Woody

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.