Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Unexpected NAD

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by death-to-yancey, Jun 16, 2018.

1. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Its the classic "I wasn't expecting to leave with anything, but I just couldn't leave it behind" type of story. Went to go see the guys at the shop I go to in the next town just to hang out and play around when the owner being this thing out for me to see and play around on. It's in almost new condition and sounds so good. The cleans are very warm and sparkly and the reverb is pretty powerful. It kinda has that old Champ vibe when you get the little speaker working hard. It gets pretty nasty (in a good way) when you crank it. It's one of those amps I can see how some might not like the sound at all but others really dig. I'm in the "I dig it" camp. They called it the Super Champ, but they should've named it the Super Cool ammirite?? I'll see myself out.

But in all seriousness it really is a cool little amp and sounds great at low volume which is perfect for my apartment living situation. 20180616_213657.jpeg 20180616_213615.jpeg

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do a search. There are quite a few Super Champ enthusiasts around here. Plenty of tips and tweaks.

That thing looks great. What speaker is in it?

death-to-yancey likes this.

3. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm surprised at just how clean it really is. There's literally not a single blemish on the tolex which boggles my mind considering it's from 1983. The speaker is the stock "Fender Special Design". It may get replaced at some point but by what I have no idea yet. It seems from a very brief search online that some speakers will not fit in these cabinets so I will have to do some deep digging for info before I make any decisions. The amp is all stock except the 12AT7 time was replaced with a 12AX7 at some point. All other tubes are stock.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    There is a Super Champ owners club here with much insight and info. Fwiw, the moniker is a bit misleading. This amp is a hot-rodded Princeton Reverb circuit without the tremolo.
    Congrats.....one of my favorite amps. BF Reverb cleans, midrange tweed sounds, and superb hit gain. The stock speakers are not, imho, of any use in the amp....or any other amp, ime. The upgrade option was the EVI/Force. Great in the amp. At the time of production, the $100 for the upgrade EVI was one third of the price of the amp, which cost $295 in 1982 and went to $325 by the end of the production in 1986.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Those Rivera amps look better and better with time. Great size, power, and feature set.

death-to-yancey and Wally like this.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Weber Blue Pup was in mine. Glorious!

Congrats on a spectacular NAD!

The myriad world class tones in that little Rivera era box will absolutely blow your mind!!

death-to-yancey and Wally like this.

7. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks everybody, I'll definitely stop by the owners club! It's a great sounding amp, I played around on it for a few hours last night. One little problem is I think the 6c10 tube needs to be replaced possibly. I get a strange "whooshing" sound behind certain notes (mostly A notes) but only with the reverb turned up. Pretty painful experience looking at prices online for that tube lol

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

8. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    V2, 12AT7, is the reverb driver tube. You might look at that before ordering a 6C10. The third triode in the 6C10 is the reverb return stage. YEs, these 6C10's are not going to get less expensive. You might as well decide now whether or not you are going to want to keep the amp. IF so, imho, you need to have some backup even if the 6C10 in the amp is good. Fwiw, there are other 12-ppin Compactrons that are similar. The 6C10 has 3 x 12AX7 triodes. There is one that has one 12AU7 triode. Some things can accommodate the other versions of the 12 pin compactron tube. Bendyha has given us a plan for building an adapter that plugs into that 12 pin socket while holding 2 x 12AX7's to take the place of a 6C10.
    I use a 12AU7 for the reverb driver. IT does weaken the reverb a bit, but it also sweetens up the overdrive since that reverb driver tube is what is 'appropriated' for the Lead mode gain stage.

9. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Thank you so much for all the info Wally! It's a little foreign to me but I think I make sense of it lol. One thing I did do is switch the the v1 and 2 tubes but that didn't help obviously. I do plan on buying at least one full set maybe 2 to have as backup. I definitely plan on keeping the amp, it covers too many classic Fender tones in one box to let it go. So you are using a 12AU7 where the 6c10 is? I don't use the reverb cranked anyway so if it only weakens it a little I'd be fine with that.

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    D to Y, V2 is the reverb driver....12AT7 on the chart....second from the right as you look at the back of the amp. A 12AU7 there lessens the reverb and decreases the gain in the Lead mode. There is still plenty of gain--and reverb--for my purposes.....singing, creaming high harmonics if wanted, surf reverb if wanted....what I want when I want it, ime.

11. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Ah ok, reading your response again I see where you said you're using that for the driver and not in place of the 6c10 sorry about that. I'm really loving it, your right it can get really creamy. Sounds great with my Strat, but my Les Paul Traditional with Pearly Gates makes some glorious thick tones at lower volume. Not sure yet how it will handle it a little higher yet.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.