Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Underwound humbucker?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by southwoodgtars, Dec 31, 2011.

1. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2011
    north carolina
    I recently decided to build myself an Underwound humbucker for one of my teles that has a humbucker in the bridge position. My thoughts were if I Underwound it would be brighter and give me a more tele like sound. It seemed to do just that. My question is has anyone else had any experience with Underwound humbuckers? Oh. I guess I should give the specs on the pickup. I used alnico 2 mag. With 42 gauge plane enamel wire wound to 5.45k. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    A "vintage" humbucker is about 8k i.e. each coil about 4k e,g, PAF-type.

3. Warem

Warem Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2011
    Norway
    I did tried an underwound neck pickup in a Les Paul. That sounded very fine.
    In my thread here:http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/305785-homebuild-thinline.html you can se my attempt to this.
    I will give the pickup possibillities for two (actually 3) different outputs.
    I also belive an overwounded humbucker wired in parallell will sound more like a single coil pick up.

4. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2011
    north carolina
    That's a really cool concept! Thanks for the info! I've never tried anything quite like that before. When I have the time I might give it a try.

5. Warem

Warem Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2011
    Norway
    Thank you, and you are welkome. It was a lot easier with the single coil than with the humbucker. Thats due to the space.
    Looking very much forward to hear what you think about it when you have tested it.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Every so often an old Bartolni comes up on ebay for much less than they are worth.Bartolini wasn't a "recreate a 1953 1/2 x-caster " winder. He went for hi-fi. His pickups sound clear and have a strong output,.An unsung p/up hero.Don't be afraid if its ceramic, it won't sound like a chineese slave-labor wind.

7. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Mar 19, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    The JohnnyBuckers are about 6.8k in the neck and they play super clean almost like a single coil

8. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2003
    CA.
    wayyyyyyy....cool....
    hey... also?
    maybe try out this?'''
    test 50k to 100k pots, like the old manufactures used to do with 4k pickups????
    and .1 tone cap loads..???

PhatBoy likes this.
  9. D.Allen

Mar 19, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Don as usual that's a great suggestion!

10. madzub

madzub TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2008
    tofino
    try alnico slugs.

11. captcoolaid

captcoolaid TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Pearl Ms.
    Off set the coils. Old PAFs were off set and some of the brightest were 7.87k so slug was wound to3.6 or so and the screw side which is closer to the saddles would be around 4.1k also try an A3 in it or an A4. That will also help with getting a bit more sparkle from it. Hey David how you doin

12. D.Allen

Mar 19, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Hey doin good man. I like your thought on magnets too I used a A4's in my P51's and am looking at a set with A3's. Just getting ready for NAMM if you are there stop by and say hello.

13. captcoolaid

captcoolaid TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Pearl Ms.
    Not this year. I got some things on the fryer that are taking all my time. When i get back to Cali sometime this next year I will hit you up and stop by. I may be back in redwood city in June or July.

14. Gretev1

Gretev1 TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Switzerland
    Wildwoodguitars.com have been producing underwound humbucker and even p90's since about 2011. They put them in all of their Wildwood Spec Les Pauls/SG/ES Guitars. They have a mellower tone than Burstbucker and Custom Buckers and the biggest difference to my ears is that they yield what I would describe as a "Spongey" tone.

15. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Germany, Bavaria
    Folks, the question is about a A2 humbucker in a tele neck with 250k volume pots. it clearly needs a massive underwound to gel with a single coil in the bridge. A 8k humbucker A2 with a 250k in the neck is mud city at best.
    Look at Zhangbucker pickups has some nice offerings for tele neck buckers.

BTW necro post alert!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.