Under what circumstances would you *not* leave a tip at a restaurant?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 17, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Because I’m considering it right now, due to basically being ignored and having to ask twice for everything... and even after double checking with me, my order still came out wrong (I just ordered off the menu).

My dad leaves a tip no matter what. He could curse at him, and he’d still leave a tip... “They’re probably just having a bad day.”

I’ve got more of my mother in me I guess.

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Those sound like the perfect reason not to. Their bad day isn’t your problem, it’s theirs. It is never ok to reward bad behavior. I can only think of 2 times in my whole life that I have never tipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrontPU, 8barlouie, LocoTex and 6 others like this.
  3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Don't decide yet unless you are walking out. Get the manager, see how the place handles it, then decide. Kitchen could have screwed it up, right?

bcorig, FrontPU, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Cultural difference
    We don't leave tips here
    It was dealt with in a law decades ago

Flyboy, gungrog, colnago and 10 others like this.
  5. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I'd have to be in the situation to judge, but having worked in the restaurant biz it's rare I don't tip. It's only if the waiter basically gives me the finger (figuratively, of course).

6. TheGoodTexan

It’s against the law to tip in Denmark?

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The tip is included in the bill, so you wouldn't give them extra money on top of that.

Antmax and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

We were at a Bob Evans Restaurant several years ago and the waitress showed up making apologies and trying to tell my wife and I how rough her day had been, this was followed by shoddy service, messed up order and general disgust by her for her life situation. So she got no tip.
    If she was professional, and did the suck it up buttercup, your job is to serve our meal, be polite and courteous you would have gotten our standard twenty percent or more.

9. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You could decide the management doesn't know how to hire competent waitstaff and stop frequenting the place - but the conundrum may be that you otherwise like the establishment and this is just a bad apple. In that circumstance, I'd tip them anyway but then say something to the manager on duty on the way out. If negative customer comments accumulate that waiter won't last long.

10. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I'm with your dad. It's hard to know who called in sick, what kitchen equipment might be out of order, and who are trying to take orders while dealing with a family crisis at home. In the serving industry, it's easy for the best waiter to get stuck with all three and come off as not trying/caring. So I always tip the first time. I also tip the second time it happens at the same restaurant, but often I don't go back to give them a third chance.

11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I leave a tip always...just a sign of a gentleman. I worked as a waiter for Red Lobster back in college and there could be a ton of reasons why you are experiencing weak service...most will not be the fault of the wait staff. They may also just be having a terrible day and although that is not your problem, how would you feal not leaving a tip because that employee just lost their Mother and was just trying to keep it together today.

Seriously, a gentleman with any class will always leave a tip. Wait staff get paid very little and rely on tips to pay the bills, you got fed and didn't have to do the dishes, isn't that worth something?

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I do not tip people just for breathing .

13. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

You'll be plenty happy when everything is robotized and messy humanity doesn't get in the way of your meal.

14. TheGoodTexan

Got it.

I got my food and still had no utensils. I asked twice for utensils... and finally got up and found some myself. About 5 minutes later the server came back and asked if I needed anything else, as she sat the bill on the table.

I’m by myself... not with a group or even another person. At a place that I come about once a week... almost always by myself. Never come on a Sunday afternoon though.

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

That sort of service would probably get 10 percent of the pre-tax amount from me. I normally tip 20–25, but occasionally 15 when they do their jobs so-so.

Someone would have to be straight-up and deliberately mean/rude right to my face for no tip at all. Just screwing up or the restaurant being poorly run wouldn't do it.

I have, in the past, left a penny sawed in half for abysmal and deliberately rude service. It was quite the coincidence; for some reason, my friend just happened to have it on him that day. So that's what we left. But we tipped the busboy two or three bucks.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always tip. Sometimes I don't pay the check...:)

I have had so few bad waiter experiences in my life that I don't stiff em'. I usually don't even complain if they get my order wrong or cooked wrong because usually the reason I'm dining out is for the conversation and the atmosphere. I hate it when I ruin my meal by being a dick...:D

17. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I always leave something and the thing that firmed that up for me was this: We had the worst waiter ever but it was clear that he just sucked and nothing was malicious. I left him like $3 and we’re leaving and he comes running out. I left my card. He brought it, if I had left zero what would the chance be? Not sure but likely less.

18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I always tip. My wife and both my daughters have been waitresses. In fact, for okay service I tip 25 or 30%, for great service I tip 40%. If the service is bad, I'll talk to the manager after I pay. If the manager gives me some kind of gift card, etc., I thank them and come back for another try. If the manager blows me off, I say thanks, but I won't be back. And I keep my word.

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You all tip for bad service? That's...weird.

20. boop

boop Tele-Meister

I generally tip on principle unless something goes horribly wrong. Sure I may not leave 20% if service is really bad. Waitstaff often make well below minimum wage.

sonicsmitty, dan1952, Mase and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.