Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

under 500 bucks what's the best tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by menace, Mar 29, 2013.

1. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    i would say that at least once a year on my local CL, somebody is selling a twin for $300-400. seems like a lot of people put the amps into shoddy plywood head cabinets to trim some weight off them. they look like crap... but $300 for the sound of a twin is a steal, no matter how ugly it is!

2. menace

menace Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2012
    bakersfield, ca
    Shoot thanks for all the info my valvetonix took a dump today now I really got to get an amp ima start the hunt

3. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2004
    Canada
    Under a grand? Gotta be the Peavey Classic 30. No comparison in my book. Or a Peavey Bandit. HAHA. Really

4. Warren Pederson

Mar 16, 2004
    Canada
    Almost every time at our blues jams when we can get our amps really workin' there'll be some hotshot come with his "boutique" amp and all he does is stare at my Classic 30 and say "what the f^&* is that thing" it sounds freakin' incredible! I have the spiky logo thing removed, so they don't know right off what it is. I've had a blues Junior and a Pro junior. The Classic 30 is light years above them.

5. Warren Pederson

Mar 16, 2004
    Canada
    My Peavey Classic 30 is stock, no mods.

6. ErikW

ErikW Tele-Meister

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    +1 Fender Excelsior. Great right out of the box; you can upgrade the tubes and speaker if you want and STILL have a very cheap, very good tube amp.

7. Warren Pederson

Mar 16, 2004
    Canada
    +1 on the Excelsior. I took one home for a try our about 6 months ago. I have to pick one of those up. Old school tube sound

8. menace

menace Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2012
    bakersfield, ca
    I still got the pro jr too but I let my pops keep it at his house cuz I don't wanna take his only amp

9. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

A Pro Jr will have trouble keeping up with a drummer unless you mic it (or only want it cranked). I have a Vox AC15C1, a Blues Jr, and an Excelsior, all of which have been mentioned several times on this thread for good reason. All of them are loud enough for a jam with a drummer.

10. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Sweden
    Bugera V22 or V55

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Which valvetronix do you have? My AD50VT has survived some idiot spilling a beer into it, dried it out the next day and it was fine. But the two valvetronix "+" series amps I've owned both died within a week, and before that they hissed horribly, those + series valvetronix should be called the - series

For what you're looking for , I'd say take a look for a used Traynor YCV40 or maybe a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

12. LXARudy

LXARudy Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicago/ Champaign
    Buy a vht special 6 and a ts808 or ocd. It's like an awesome sounding two channel amp.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    In the end, I'd consider a Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Deluxe, or an old Ampeg Gemini or Rocket. Any of those three will be good workingman type amp, meaning they deliver nice cleans, and you can grind out good dirt without effects. Vary your sound through switching a channel and/or guitar volume knob. Good for studio or playing out, good condition used under $500.

14. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

I personally would recommend a Blues Jr III way before I'd recommend a Bugera.

I have a V22 Bugera and it is "okay" buy probably is an example of you get what you pay for. I moved it out of my line up and replaced it with my Vox AC15c1 that sounds significantly better, to my ear.

I like the Blues Jr III a lot. It seems like the Mexican made Fender products are consistently very excellent and easily repaired.

The Hot Rod Deluxe III is an improved version of the old HRDx, but is over your price point. It also is a kick a$$ amp. Forty watts.

I would say to put your priorities first. Things like dependability, repairability, sound, adjustability.

I like the Blues Jr III in that price range. It has the reputation of being well built, repairable, and has a beautiful clean tone. You can always get a great overdrive sound with a real good overdrive pedal, but you can't get a great clean sound unless the amp produces that itself.

Good luck and look around real well before you buy. Buying used seems like it is often buying someone else's problems. Why didn't they keep it to begin with if it is so great. I would never sell a great amp. This is just my viewpoint.

15. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I believe it`s Ampeg GVT52-212. I have just ordered one from Thomann, Germany. Okay, it costs 3455 Swedish Krona, that makes about 525 US Dollars, but it`s close enough what thread header says.
    It will arrive around Wednesday in next week, i will post a NAD! post soon after.:p

Short specs: 50W, 3 x 12AX7 & 2 x 6L6CG tubes, 2 x Celestion Seventy-Eighty 12" speakers, 25/50W switch, Baxandall tone circuit and foot pedal for ch select & boost.:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

16. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

It's 899 US, for this specific model at two of the big internet places I checked here in the US.

17. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Too bad it`s so expensive in the U.S.

Wonder how much shipping it to America would cost? It is indeed much cheaper at Thomann.;)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ampeg_gvt52212.htm

18. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Why are you looking for a tube amp? Are you wanting a particular sound? If so, what is it, and how do you know a tube amp is the best way to get it? If you can't answer these, you're setting yourself up for some awful "advice". If you went to a shop and bought something from a salesman based on your questions, and it just plain sucked the shine off a mirror, you could take it back, get your money back, complain, and maybe even cost the weasel his job. Ain't no way to get anyone fired here for telling you something that ends up costing you more than it's worth.

I grew up building tube amps. I'd built three of them before solid state amps came on the market. We were overjoyed at the flexibility we could get. WHY do you want to use 50 year old technology when there's lots better to be had? A certain sound? Can you get that sound and many more by not restricting yourself to a certain circuit?

If it's just to own one for the sake of owning one, you don't want an amplifier, you want a trophy you can brag about. Until you can answer my first questions to your *own* satisfaction, you don't know enough about your questions to judge ANY answers. Including this one. Educate yourself. Experience things. Learn. Decide. Then come back here and tell people your honest, hard earned opinion, because there's too many cheap, narrowly defined opinions masquerading as knowledge.

19. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Aug 1, 2012
    TOC,NM
    Mahaffay Lanilei 3350!! .......Its the size of a lunchbox,6 1/2'' speaker. 50w of tube. Sounds like a 412 combo. I don't know how he does it, but damn does it sound amazing

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.