Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

under 500 bucks what's the best tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by menace, Mar 29, 2013.

1. menace

menace Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2012
    bakersfield, ca
    I'm looking for a good tube amp I got a vox valvetronix and a hohner solid whas next for a broker than broke kid with no money

2. menace

menace Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2012
    bakersfield, ca
    Oh ya I like clean sounds where I can get a lil distortion

3. Nelg

Nelg TDPRI Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Minnesota
    You can get a 70's Fender Champ for $300-400, which is really a great amp unless you need an amp to gig with.

4. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    Check out a Mesa F30. It gets all the sounds you want.

5. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2011
    los angeles
    Or a Dean Markley CD30 -- probably similar in some respects. The DM has the most gorgeous jazz tone, in addition to all tube overdrive sounds. To get it under $500, you'll need to find a sale like I did.

6. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

May 24, 2012
    Kansas City
    I'm rocking a pro Jr right now. Got it used and upgraded the speaker and tubes for way less than five bones.

7. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    How much amp do you need wattage wise? Do you need a combo or do you have a cabinet to plug into? You can get used Fender Bassman heads for $500. You can get all kinds of good amps for under $500.

8. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    You can get a Vox AC15C1 for under $500. Great amp!

9. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2008
    Louisiana, USA
    I see Blues Juniors for sale used for way less than $500. I love mine. That and my Vox Night Train are my favorite tube amps really.

10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Yup, hard to beat a Blues Jr. for the money. You can find 'em used all day long for $300.

11. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

What kind of wattage are you looking for and what are you doing with it?

You can get all sorts of good Tube amps for under $500 if you buy used.

Vox AC15
    Vox AC4
    Fender Blues Deluxe/Blues Jr
    Fender Champ
    Fender Champ 600
    Fender Excelsior
    Egnator Tweaker 15
    Peavy Classic 30
    Traynor makes a 30? watt blues amp that sounds pretty nice. Cant think of the model.

Just depends on the size and what you want to do with it.

12. menace

menace Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2012
    bakersfield, ca
    It'll be for the house and jam fests with my boys gotto get louder than the drums I'm in the process of stealing my pops pro jr but that blues jr sounds so good for the prices ima have to sell off some pedals or my peavey t-15

13. Sune Andersson

Sune Andersson Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Lund, Sweden
    A Fender Excelsior is GREAT if you can get your hands on one...

14. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    I have an AC15C1 that I really like a lot. It'll fit your needs nicely. It has really nice tremolo too if you're interested in that. I'd take that over a Blues Jr. although those Humboldt Blues Jr. with the Cannabis Rex speakers look really nice too.

15. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2010
    North Dakota
    There were two Deluxe Reverb RI's that were listed at $550 a piece here on Craigslist locally. They may have went for $500.

It seems like it's a buyer's market right now.

16. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    You can find a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe if you look around....

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    My usual picks when I have $500 to burn:

I can generally get into a Twin Reverb around here for $500. If I'm lucky I can get into a nice Twin Reverb for $500.

That would be the all time killer more amp for less dough deal especially if we're going by the pound.

Except Super Twins show up every so often around $400. How 'bout 180 tube watts for that money?!

Next pick would be Bassman / Bandmaster / Showman heads. I'd try to get into a SF Bassman for $400 and use the other $100 to buy speakers. I'd be well on my way to a gig worth rig for $500. That's worthy of any gig.

Non- reverb SF Bandmasters get no respect. Fender offered the Bandmaster chassis in a 4x10" cabinet as the last pre-CBS Concert back in '64. A Bandmaster chassis converted into a 2x10" combo is a pretty powerful tool.

Non- Fenders:

I can still get into late Traynor YBA-1s under $500. That's the late version with aluminum trim and small transformers. The late ones aren't a balls to the wall Poor Man's Marshall like the early ones. Then again the early ones make 50 watt Marshalls seem wimpy by comparison. See the pattern here? More amp costs less money!

The all time screaming bargain: The old Traynor Guitar Mate. The models are YGM-1 through YGM-4. The YGM-1 is super cool. It's like a stripped down Deluxe Reverb with EL84s. If you find a seller who hasn't gotten the memo you can buy these around $500.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    You could buy a new or used Blue Jr.

Blues Junior.
    It will keep up with a sane drummer, nice reverb, nice edgy cleans.

Watch craigslist.

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    I like the Fender Excelsior very much. Put in new tubes and you have a good thing going for about 350.

20. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    Peavey classic 50 or 30.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.