Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Uncovered Neck Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bruxist, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Are any manufacturers' uncovered neck pickups made to actually fit the neck pickup route on the pickguard?

Most I have seen just use the standard bobbin without the cover which leaves alot of room between the pickup and the guard.

Mostly just curious about this.

Thanks!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Okay...I’ll bite.
    If you change the bobbin, you change the pickup. It will sound different compared to a ‘tele’ pickup. If you really want to have less of an opening around that bare pickup, you could see if someone like Chandler would custom build a pickguard with an appropriately smaller opening.

TeleTown, nojazzhere and Bruxist like this.

3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    It would only sound different if the coil itself changed. Having wider bobbin plates won't have any sonic effect and it would be bizarre if it did.

Bill Lawrence's Keystones *may* fit since the uncovered version was designed to be used uncovered, but it's been a long time since I looked at one. If you just want exposed poles, they do one with a black cover that looks pretty slick.

Bruxist likes this.

4. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I believe Q pickups makes one, they can be found on eBay and Reverb.

Bruxist likes this.

5. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    As long as the wire, magnet, and number of turns was the same the difference would be slight....but...a wider pickup senses a larger portion of the string and things are different.

Bruxist likes this.

6. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Milano, Italy

7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Thanks for replying, Wally.

Part of the reason I was asking is that some of them, like the Bill Lawrence T1 (not a Wilde pickup) appear that they do. Of course, some of the rail pickups also look like they do.

Wally likes this.

8. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Yeh, Bruxit, I was trying to stay with the pickup you have...thinking that the gap was the only problem you have with the pickup. If you don’t particularly care for the pickup, then all sorts of options are open. Personally, I don’t worry about that small gap....don’t even notice it when or if ever I have seen such a thing....and I am sure that I have seen such a thing.

Bruxist likes this.

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    As long as it is not big enough to drop a pick down... :)

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I have an uncovered Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy in my American Standard and I never really noticed how it fit. I guess I'm distracted because it is among the finest-sounding Tele neck pickups I've ever heard.

antennahead likes this.

11. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    any fender dimensioned strat pickup, sans cover, will fit into a tele pickguard rout and for the most part the body rout as well. it's larger bobbin can be wound close enuf to uncovered tele neck spex.

SPUDCASTER and musicalmartin like this.

12. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area

13. rich815

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area

14. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Milano, Italy
    A penny for your thoughts?

15. rich815

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Mistaken duplicate post I cleared.

16. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    T.v. Jones makes one. Theres a used one on ebay...(not mine)

17. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I ordered one of these covers from Philadelphia Luthier Supply. Pull the old cover off, put this one on, get a much better tone and fill that gap. Less than $10! IMG_9204.JPG

DavidP, Bruxist and CFFF like this.

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I put one of those on a partscaster I built for my wife's cousin a few years ago. The pickup was a Fender MIM Alnico.

lineboat likes this.

19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    And best of all it prevents the nasty habit of the first string occasionally catching under the top bobbin plate. I had a GFS Fatbody uncovered neck pickup in one guitar, and I was very happy with its sound, especially for the extremely reasonable cost even when mailed to the UK. But that string-catch was a killer, so I took the pickup out. I more recently bought one of these covers to go on it, only to find that it didn’t work any more. Oh, well...

lineboat, CFFF and Bruxist like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.