Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ultimate Modded Epiphone Wildkat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thecakeguru, Jan 30, 2018.

1. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I like the wildkat badge and the headstock. I would keep it :)

2. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Agree - much nicer than the standard Epi Les Paul headstock for example. But once this Kat gets Gretschy-fied it might be cool to go the whole hog and tweak the headstock too. Great thing about cheap guitars is we can fool around with them like this.

thecakeguru likes this.

3. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Gretsch pickup rings came today. Roughly lined up, looks like i'll have to cut away some wood on the neck pickup, and fill in wood on the sides of both cavities. Also will have to figure up a way to english mount these filtertrons. I somehow missed that. Lol. Thinking ill have to drill two extra holes in the pickup rings as well to make these work. I do really like the look of these rings!

Attached Files:

Barncaster and Zepfan like this.

4. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Started routing out the neck cavity, as well as filling in the bridge cavity.

Attached Files:

CFFF likes this.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I would keep the Wildcat headstock shape and badge just to watch people make that look and scratch their heads.:twisted:

LowThudd, thecakeguru and CFFF like this.

6. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    I just may do that :p mess with peoples heads!

Zepfan likes this.

7. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Progress. Filtertrons currently fit now!! :-D

8. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Oh yeah

Attached Files:

9. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Got a graphite nut installed, 2 control holes filled, and some more work on the neck cavity routing. Still need to get some sanding done. Also glued in some wood blocks in the pickup routes to mount the filtertrons to.

Things ive changed in my plans:
    No rear mount
    Keeping the f holes
    Not reshapping the headstock

More progress tomorrow. Paint lined up for next week!

Attached Files:

LowThudd, Barncaster, Zepfan and 2 others like this.

10. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    You are not wasting time with this. I am impressed :)

The fretboard on my Wildkat had large amounts of white filler in the grain. Not very nice. Yours looks better then the one that I did have I think.

Did you need to put some wood under the holes to support the plugs?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    thecakeguru likes this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You could cut some thin strips of wood and glue under the top to cover the F holes, then paint the exposed area Black. That would look like F holes, but take away feedback issues.
    Another way is keep your F holes and cover the bottom and sides of the pickups with foam(like the foam used on microphones). That will stop feedback issues and you get to keep the semi-acoustic tones.

thecakeguru likes this.

12. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    No, i cut the plugs to where they would be snug, therefore just needing to lather them up in glue and push them in :)

The fretboard is nice on this one! No white filler. Will look nicer when my abalone inlays get get here. All the other hardware has showed up and is sitting in my parts bin anxiously awaiting to be assembled.

As far as covering the pickups in foam, they arent going to be floating, so feedback should be an issue imo. I got some wood blocks glued underneath that the pickups will mount to. I figured that would be the easiest way to mount the pickups, plus should help some with the sound of the instrument.

BorderRadio, Zepfan and CFFF like this.

13. GigsbyBoyUK

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    FWIW I have never had a problem with feedback on my Wildkat, and I often have to stand very close to my amp in small venues.

Personally, I would fit it all together and see how it sounds and then make a decision on the F holes. This would also give you a chance to check everything else for fit and function before refinishing.

thecakeguru and Zepfan like this.

14. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I really enjoy the unique tone of my 100 % stock Wildkat,
    but that being said it's
    fun watching someone customize theirs to fit a personal taste.

Thanks for inviting us all along on your adventure.
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    thecakeguru likes this.

15. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    I may have hit a stroke of madness, or genius. I decided that yellow orange neck is going to go, and in place, ill true oil it.

Attached Files:

Zepfan and CFFF like this.

16. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    A good idea. The finish was a little thick on the one that I did have. Is it come off okay?

Me too I did not like the color.

thecakeguru likes this.

17. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    The finish was really thick. And like a dummy I didnt wear a mask, and I think it irritated my lungs, so, no more sanding tonight. Tomorrow, with a mask. smh. Used 100 grit to take it off, and it took a bit of work at that. I'll progressively work up to 600 before hitting it with tru-oil.

CFFF likes this.

18. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Decided to install the graphite saddles on the new gotoh tune o matic I just bought. Not only mangled the bridge, but shoved a screw driver through my hand. If anyone is considering getting a gotoh bridge with the intent of swapping saddles, dont. Its very very difficult to remove saddles as the nuts are loctited on. Evening using a soldering iron to heat them, still managed to strip some screws. Looks like ill buy an gotoh abr1 style instead. :/

19. GigsbyBoyUK

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Ouch! Yeah sometimes those tunomatic saddles are stuck fast.

Go easy on the sanding. It's very easy to make a neck feel a lot slimmer than you'd like, even with just a little sanding.

thecakeguru likes this.

20. thecakeguru

thecakeguru TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2014
    outside atlanta, ga
    Id imagine!! Its a chunky neck anyways so im not scared of that :) just sanding enough till that color comes out then stopping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.