Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[UK] Pillar drill shopping...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buze, Dec 30, 2014.

1. buze

buze Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Berks & Powys, UK
    As it turns out, I need to drill thru my tele body to mount the ferules at the back. I don't have the pillar drill for that.

I shopped around, and you can pretty easily find entry level pilar drills in the ~50 GBP range, however, NONE of them will tell you the distance between the chuck and the pillar -- ie, the 'reach'!
    Given I need around 13cm to reach the place I want to drill, it's a pretty critical measurement!

So you uk-tele-builders, what do you use? I mean, at an affordable sort of price?

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I have the same dilemma.

I originally bought a dremel and workstation. My thinking was that I could rotate the station so I could place it onto of the body piece. I quickly realised a dremel doesn't have the power or bit capacity and the workstation doesn't have the stability... bit of a waste.

I started looking for pillar drills, unless I wanted to fork out £180 for this drill, which isn't bad value and unless I wanted a large workshop tool taking up more space in my lounge - it wasn't an option.

This is what I opted for Portable Drill Guide - Metric V-DrillGuide by Big Gator: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ATkQ2rSgL.@@AMEPARAM@@51ATkQ2rSgL with a hand drill. With initial tests and using the methods for ferrule drilling described all over this forum I've had pretty accurate results. It's also come in handy with other drilling operations.

I guess it comes down to your budget and space

3. buze

buze Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Berks & Powys, UK
    I have exactly the same problem (space, and budget) -- I mean, if I used that drill press more than 6 times I wouldn't mind the space/money, but well..

So I think I'll go the same way as you did for now.. I need to check Reading Hackspace's pilar drill tho, perhaps it's big enough, and it's 1h away...

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    Booze, I'll let you in on a little secret.....

.......a drill press/pillar drill is not a guarantee of perfect string through hole alignment. If you went all the way through in one go, the bit can and will still wander.

So a drill press is simply not a necessity for building guitars. A drill stand of some sort is very helpful, though for get holes such as fret marker holes exactly where you want one. I was given one of these (unused!), luckily a perfect match for an old B&D mains drill I had:

This is adequate.

I don't have one of the doodads that Mat does, but I do use the common method of drilling the two outer holes all the way through, then the inner 4 half way from the front, all using the bridge to align the holes. Flip body over, align the bridge with the 2 outer holes, drill the other 4 through. Any wonkiness connecting the 4 holes from from to back is hidden away inside the body and away from the dirty, stinking, prying eyes of the General Public

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have, over the years, tried about every inexpensive drill press to become available...

DO NOT waste money on junk... this is probably the least expensive Drill Press aka known as a Pillar Drill across the pond... that is of a reasonable level of quality..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/828557/Rikon-34-Bench-Top-Radial-Drill-Press-Model-30-140.aspx

while there are others built in a similar configuration and a little less expensive, this one has a standard Morse Taper for the chuck .. thus you can pitch the chuck it comes with and replace it with a good quality Jacobs...

Ron Kirn

6. potomac

potomac TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2011
    White Plains/NY

7. buze

buze Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Berks & Powys, UK
    That DOES look pretty handy actually! Much more articulated than a standard pillar drill

8. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    The sub-£100 stuff is actually pretty tiny (3.5-4"). Like a lot of cheap kit in the UK it's all likely to be exactly the same Chinese gear with a different logo stuck on it.
    I bought Fox F12-941 16mm Drill Press 240volt: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gC9b%2BAivL.@@AMEPARAM@@41gC9b%2BAivL some years ago, and although it's a pretty sizable chunk of kit (c. 900mm tall) the 5" throat is still a nadgers too small for string-through holes. That's OK, though, it wasn't a consideration back when I bought it and I can use the big Fobco at work if I need to. The table flexes more than I'd like under heavy load, but for what it is (i.e. cheap) it's smooth, quiet, powerful, and has done me many trouble-free holes for many projects.
    If you're patient you may find something pre-loved, but it's probably going to be pretty pricey and require significant (floor-standing?) space.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.