Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ugly cars you find oddly appealing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steve Ouimette, Aug 3, 2017.

1. If only the Pacer's doors were lighter. Was a great commuter car in the city with the wide-open visibility.

2. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Since I'm an Elvis fan, I love the Stutz Bearcat & Blackhawk vehicles. The 1973 Stutz below has been restored to the way it was when Elvis purchased the car. I don't know if the first Stutz that he purchased directly from Jules Myers (a 1971 model that was wrecked that is below the first picture) is still on display, though. The car below, of course, was the car that he was seen driving through the gates of Graceland mansion in the very early morning hours of August 16, 1977 after a visit to his dentist, Lester Hoffman:

8461179-Elvis--Favorite-Car---A-1973-Stutz-Blackhawk-0.jpg Elvis_Presley_Automobile_Museum_Memphis_TN_2013-03-24_018_1971_Stutz_Blackhawk.jpg

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    When I was a kid, I thought Volkswagen Things were kind of cool. I recently watched the video below and reversed my opinion.

4. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    El Camino all the way.

Zipslack and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    What's wrong with that? That's a gorgeous car

Preacher likes this.

6. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    That's the car I drove in high school and most of college. I had a poop brown one with a dented body and a blue one. Great gas mileage and, all things considered, a good car. After I replaced the B210 with a Hyundai, I appreciated its (relative) power.

I watched some B210s recently and was reminded out hideous and spartan the interior was.

7. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I'm sorry. Poverty sucks.

rz350 likes this.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn't mean these various Silverados are especially ugly - they're not. I was just citing it as an example, chosen at random.

I like the new Corvette. I don't have one because:

a) I'm not reconciled with GM at this time;

b) They're too confounded common - I see so many of them; and

c) I'd have to have the pedals modified - my legs are too short - the interior of a Corvette is for longer legged and big people.

++

++

Meanwhile, Skully is what you would call......a glutton for punishment.

9. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Mine was also poop brown.

Skully likes this.

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    My Precious!

IMG_1925.JPG
    ...when I finally got matching wires on the rear pair, she really came together...you can do instant wheel standers, too!!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Telecasterless likes this.

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    As the gli package and they look pretty good

CharlieO likes this.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Those 70s Datsuns were far better than anything built in the US at the time. His current ride, however...

savofenno and ndeli55 like this.

13. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    My current ride is a black Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker. Mid-life what?

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. At least it isn't a Corvette. I had my mid- life crises in my 20s and bought British sportscars.

Skully likes this.

15. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    The Aztek had a lot of interesting features, which are detailed in this video.

16. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    A friend of mine rented one once. It was hands-down the worst car I ever drove.

17. boris bubbanov

I liked the original "Maxima" thingies (810s) with the in line six and rear wheel drive. But the B210 was always hanging on by a thread and I got mighty tired of repairing them for girlfriends who were trying to save money. We always used my car instead, I hated those so. But, same thing with Chevettes, fair enough.

18. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    My grandparents had a Chevette. My B210 was a muscle car in comparison.

19. boris bubbanov

My brother ordered a black '80 Pacer. The heat gain was bad enough, we always let him have any available covered space and some of the rest of us tended to end up parked in the sun. No idea how the Parchment interior withstood that kind of abuse but the interior looked great when he sold it after about 12 years to a fellow architect. Car made little sense in Louisiana, but worked pretty well in SoCal near the water.

Most don't know, but the Driver's side door was 5 inches smaller than the Passenger side door and so often we used only the Driver's side door. If the vehicle was on a distinct slant towards the curb, the passenger door could get away from you and get torn up. It had to weigh 18 pounds more than the Driver door and that was sometimes 18 pounds too much.

Again, the door fit was still perfect the last time I saw that car in about 1996. Try that on a GM 2 door car - the doors would sag like nobody's business.

20. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Agreed. I know some find them ugly. Can't see it myself.

ndeli55 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.