ubuyguitars 5E3 project

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Apr 18, 2019.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Right at the beginning of the year, someone started a thread asking what was on everyone’s build list for 2019. I mentioned this one so now I have to do it.

Chassis and PT from ubuyguitars several years ago, most of the other bits and pieces from Hoffman.

Using Hoffman’s layout, I downsized the board just a little bit (measure twice, cut once...I keep getting that backwards). I like how it fits in the chassis better this size anyway.

I didn’t have the patience to stand at the drill press and bore all those holes so I used the CNC.
    A2C43F9B-6BF7-4FC4-B694-30799120DC7C.jpeg

I used the trick of using painters tape and superglue to hold the circuit board to a fixture plate. 3-1/2 minutes to drill 46 holes (+ about an hour of programming.
    F5B15092-8455-4B9C-A6FB-BDFA8106396F.jpeg

I didn’t want to risk breaking the board prying it off the fixture plate so I heated up the aluminum plate with a small torch and the it popped right off

5A4C2375-8A78-4718-B9A1-9496333F0D49.jpeg

I got all the turrets assigned to their permanent homes. Next I will seat and flare the backside. Going to do that part old-school...I have a jig I made to do those steps in my manual mill using the quill as a press.

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looking forward to watching someone actually complete something from ubuy. Mine is still in boxes because sloth.

jimytheassassin and esbrian like this.
  3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I built one with the ubuy chassis I had to do some modifications to the chassis, Fuse hole, rotated V1 & V2, reamed out pot holes, I did not use the marshal style pilot light (I did have one) For the most the chassis is really nice. One thing I really like is the labeling on face plate for the standby switch.

Attached Files:

jimytheassassin and Bill Moore like this.
  4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

You'll be a step further ahead on your build if you give away the sloth and get a cat instead. ;)

CoyotesGator likes this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I also built a 5E3, you can find it in the amp building section. "After much trepidation 5E3 build"

The only issues I had with the chassis was the switches I had do not match up to the supplied face plate. I am going to build a new face plate so that is not really a problem. I also made my own board and hand wired it.
    I actually had it apart on my desk the other night trying to run down a hmmmmm, which I think is on the volume pots....

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The current mouser is every bit sloth like as I. We have an understanding.

CoyotesGator likes this.
  7. RollingBender

Quick question...all the modern 5E3 schematics show an artificial center tap on the heaters, my PT has a “real” center tap. Do I just connect this to the star ground and I’m done?

CoyotesGator likes this.
  8. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Holic

Yes.

9. RollingBender

It’s alive! Stuck it in the 5E3 cab I built a few years ago when I first bought the chassis and transformers. Never mind the wood repair in the control panel cut out (measure once, cut twice).
    DDB33492-BDB6-4A84-B755-8402C4A8FEB9.jpeg
    It was about 2 hours past bed time last night and I was SOOO close and wanted to see if it would come to life so I wired the inputs to V1 with non-shielded wire (weren’t the originals this way?). Glad it fired up right away...troubleshooting would be a bear with all the black lead wire.
    906E305D-57E4-4ADB-9A87-122351DBC8B1.jpeg
    The wire was salvaged from an organ donor. It is cloth push-back wire...great stuff to work with.

jimytheassassin and awasson like this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Out of interest, is there an advantage to the Hoffman layout over the regular 5e3 version?

11. RollingBender

I did the Hoffman layout because it is fairly close to RobRob’s optimized layout but with Hoffman’s I could click one button for all the small parts and I could easily import his layout for CNC programming for drilling the board. If it weren’t for that, I would have just used RobRob’s layout.

Both layouts put the big filter caps (and other bits and pieces) where they are needed in the circuit rather than bunched up like they typically are. Should lower the noise floor a bit.

12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Amp looks great. Those chassis are pretty nice if I recall they were $14.99 then they might of dropped from that. I still have 6 chassis. I really haven't seen any other great deals on u-buy since the VHT buyout.

jimytheassassin, ecoast and muscmp like this.
  13. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Very nice job - great work! Congratulations on it firing up the first time!

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I still hit the site every so often but haven't seen anything of interest since the buyout.

My 5E3 is working well, I am still tweaking and rewiring items every so often but really love the amp.

I have the other chassis they sold as well that I am going to do a British 16 watter with. Wished I had bought about a dozen at that price.

15. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I'm still working on my 5E3 with the ubuyguitars chassis. I broke the face plate though (I have a thread on here.)

16. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i bought a chassis and board from them too. board didn't fit so i had to drill extra holes to make it fit. finished the amp and it works great but a little noisier than i'd really like. need to get back into it when i get the time to check the grounding.

amp1.jpg

jimytheassassin likes this.
  17. RollingBender

The more different amps I build, the more I’m learning about tonal characteristics and amplifier evolution.

With the 5E3, I’m hearing where the roots of many more modern amps come from but I’m also learning more about my own personal tastes. I have to admit, for most of the style of music I play (and its a pretty broad range of eras and genres), I prefer a much brighter/tighter sound. That said, it’s a barrel of fun and also a bit inspiring to play through something so sensitive to playing technique.

Maybe I’ll try a mod or two to see if I can form some sort of intimate relationship with it.

muswell_hillbilly likes this.
  18. RollingBender

I did some testing with RobRob’s 3-way negative feedback mod...now I’m beginning to have stronger feelings for this amp.

Now that I’m getting to know the amp a bit better, could I put a different value bypass cap on V2, pin 3 where the negative feedback mod gets inserted which would allow the amp to do that 5E3 thing but just tame it down a bit?

muscmp likes this.
  19. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did a negative feedback switch, and a switched adjustable bias supply on mine. Gives the option of the 50's tone or something more like the 60's!

jimytheassassin likes this.
  20. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

... I bought 26 of those chassis and a half a dozen populated boards!

SacDAve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.