Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

U-bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by TigerG, Dec 29, 2016.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm sorry--I hate when people say that thing sounds like an upright. I have to think you don't play the upright or listen to it very often.

I'm not great player, but here I am playing my upright on a home recorded track. I don't think it sounds like a rubber string Uke bass.

Does it?

I mean there's a good use for that kind of sound I guess and yes easy to carry but to my ears it sounds tubby and indistinct and piezo-ish. I have tried one at my local music store and I put it down pretty quickly. Bless you if you can make it work

Edit fixed link

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Love mine, but then I'm a guitarist, or should I say I primarily own guitars;
    IMGP7096 (Small).JPG

Mbechmann likes this.

3. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    :) I am one of those who loves uke basses. And yes, I am also one that says that it sounds like an upright. You are however right, it does not sound EXACTLY like an upright. But it also doesnt sound anywhere near an electric bass. Since those are the only 2 types to compare to, its a lot closer to an upright :) Especially if you plug in an upright - using a piezo :)

To me, the size is a big advantage. But not just that. Its a LOT easier to play because you dont have to stretch your shoulder half a mile to the left :) Basically its like playing solo's on a Tele all day long :)

By the way, did you take the time to set it up with the right amp when you tried it in the store? Just like any other instrument you plug in, the right amp means a LOT :)

bettyseldest and maxvintage like this.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

I can't remember what I plugged it into.

I agree it's a distinctive tone, but to my ears its no more like an upright than a washtub bass is. I've schlepped my big upright to a ton of gigs and yes it's inconvenient and somewhat fragile and hard to amplify and record well but it's got such a great tone and feel. I hate to see it diminished by comparison!:)

I probably sound all cranky--I don't mean to come off that way. If the uke bass works in your context musically then all is good

5. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Hehe when have a musician NOT been slightly cranky :) Its all good. But look at it this way. Its not that an upright doesnt do a great job. Its that an upright is not possible to all jobs. Fx if you travel. I lived in Dublin for 4 years and I needed to bring a bass + a guitar home. It wasnt possible to bring more than 1 guitar as extra luggage, so if I was gonna bring both home, I needed a uke bass. Would I use an upright to all gigs - no. Would I use a uke bass to all gigs - No. Its about bringing the right tool for that job :)

As for the sound. You should give it a better chance. Play with amp settings. Also pick up an electric uke bass. Trust me on this. You are in for a surprise :)

6. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    The Gorge
    I have a solid body and a mahogany hollow. Love 'em both. They take some getting used to and intonation up the neck is iffy... but that isn't really their point... great acoustic thump. Sound like an up right with a monster mute... none of the delicacy but a bunch or the punch. Can you say All About the Bass ? Fills the top jar ever a time..

7. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    That video in #6 is sick. What players. I'm selling all my gear because what's the point.

8. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    Just bought myself the Harley Benton (Thomann) copy of the ubass - about 1/4 the cost of a Kala so I the "worth a punt" range.

What a fun little beast it is... yes it's got quirks: the strings are sticky, and it needs some fettling to stop strings sticking in the nut. outside that the intonation is ok, it plays nicely and it's great to sit on the sofa and noodle with - something that can't be said of a full scale bass.... IMG_0480.JPG

Mbechmann likes this.

9. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I found a used one last year and couldn't resist.
    image.jpeg

10. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    Here I am with my Kala U-bass. It has a little of the flavour of an upright, but I don't think it would fool anyone on a recording.

[​IMG]

11. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    The Gorge
    Been playing both the solid and hollow bodies for years. I’m about to cut the hollow body loose to a local bud. Love the tonality but I never take it to gigs anymore. The solid body gets me as it has a synthy quality to it that I find real useful in my cover band.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool tools.
    My friend Wyatt has one and I used it on a recording for him.
    Impressive.
    Very “doghouse” sounding, IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.