Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

U-bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by TigerG, Dec 29, 2016.

1. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Bassist on the gig (folk-rock-blues) last night used one of these. It sounded pretty mighty despite its tiny stature--think "u" as in "ukelele"--more like an upright than it has any right to.

[​IMG]

Mbechmann likes this.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I first encountered one, in a live setting, 3 summers past...they were a trio & approaching from a distance, I was trying to find the bass source? Pedals, keys...no, this uke sized wonder, with double bass tonality!!

Mbechmann likes this.

3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Now, that's an interesting idea!
    Does anybody have any links to sound clips?

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    They're excellent!

A friend has one, and it's all he ever gigs with - as you say, an almost 'upright' tone from such a small body.

'Tis witchcraft!

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My wife has one. Very believable stand up bass output through an amp. My issue with them is the constant stretching of the strings and retuning all of the time. My wife loves hers, and she is the bass player in the family, but I don't care for it myself, although I must say, I'm not much of a stand up bass tone fan anyway. FWIW.

BTW, there is a good YT vid of a very talented guitar player doing a MJ song with a great bass player on a U-Bass.

6. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Yeah, and for ease of transport they can't be beat. The venue we played last night has a bass amp, so the bassist just had to walk in with this tiny thing.

Here's good video of one in action:

brookdalebill, erratick and Mbechmann like this.

7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Thanks, TigerG, that's quite impressive!

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I goofed around with one for a few minutes, finding the rubbery strings somewhat of a challenge. Regardless, one of the coolest/practical answers to live gigs & tonality!! You're still a stand up guy, inspite of your claims. ;)

Obsessed likes this.

9. Captain Simian

Captain Simian Tele-Holic

Jun 29, 2003
    NM
    I have two, a solid body Kala with roundwound strings and a Gold Tone acoustic fretless with Aquila Thundergut Reds. I really like them both, especially since I can do bigger stretches that I can pull off on 34" or 30" scale basses. I couldn't stand the rubbery feel of the the factory strings and almost got rid of both until I found the Kala roundwound strings and Aquila Thunderguts. Huge improvement on feel.

That being said, the Kala may end up going away. The GT has a 23" scale as opposed to the Kala's 21" scale. The GT sounds tighter than the Kala because of this despite the rounds on the Kala.

[​IMG]

Mbechmann likes this.

10. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    My wife has a Kala U-Bass with the rubbery strings. She loves it except for one thing -- there's no place to anchor your thumb. I've considered having someone install a little piece of wood or something to give her a place to anchor her hand. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I bought her the U-Bass after I saw Albert Lee 2 years ago. His bass player got a tremendous sound from one. I asked him about it after the show, he said he had just had a heart bypass like 2 weeks earlier and that was the only bass he was allowed to play. I called Sweetwater and ordered one the next day!

11. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    Kala makes thumbrests: https://kalabrand.com/collections/u-bass-accessories/thumbrest

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yeah, what do I know. Mrs. Obsessed is the bass player and, I suppose, why I play guitar. She is the one that can keep time, so I really don't belong near a bass anyway.:lol:

Mbechmann likes this.

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I have heard those live and played one. I think they sound really cool, but look somewhat silly, especially if a big husky dude is playing one.

Then again, big dudes play mandolins and ukes, so why should it matter?

14. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    Raul Malo + u bass:

paparoof likes this.

15. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    This guy is testing the suitability of using a fretless model as a double bass substitute when conditions won't facilitate a full size double bass. I think it works very well in this context.

16. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    It does work well. You can simulate a double bass on a fender bass as well, just by palm muting.

17. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    Yep you sure can. My primary instrument is a p bass with five year-old TI Jazz flats and sometimes even a hunk of foam stuffed down by the bridge - that's my thing. But the Ubass still has a very different dimension to it than what I'm doing.

ac15 likes this.

18. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yup, I do palm muting and foam too. Great sound.

19. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    I have a very light weight gibson EB-0 with flat would strings that will get as Bassy as you want it too. The Kala is nice, but like the others, not sure about the rubbery strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.