Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Typical La Cabronita Wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JustPlay, Aug 13, 2017.

1. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Hi all:

I'm currently building a tele, and plan to set it up "La Cabronita" style. Initally I was thinking of just using a bass pickup only (and still might), but now I'm also considering using two humbuckers. Can someone explain / post a diagram of a wiring diagram for the "one knob - one switch" setup I have seen on many of them?

Thanks in advance!
    Will

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    yep - thats the typical "hot rod" cabronita wiring 1 vol, 3 way, thats it! :cool:

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    I am contemplating putting a Cabronita together, and I am grateful for this wiring diagram, but I am puzzled that this arrangement is to be used. I aim to use TV Jones classics and wonder why there isn't a tone knob? Not needed?

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    No tone knob gives a punchier and hairier overall tone, Fender's No Load tone pot does the same, pulls the tone pot out of the circuit which gives hotter output. My TBX control on my PRS does the same thing.

My Setzer Hotrod has a switch and volume and a pretty warm tone. It's the way Setzer has his many stage guitars set. Given many people never touch it..... Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat was the same. IMG_20170810_094018.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 3:58 AM
    BorderRadio and Lefty Addams like this.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I think that the Fender pickups aren't as bright as the Gretsch or TV Jones models and that is the reason Fender just used a volume pot only wiring.
    Most Tele guys are used to a bright sounding guitar and usually consider HB's muddy sounding(especially in the neck position) anyway.:twisted:

Lefty Addams likes this.

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    TV Jones designed the Fidelitron pickups. They're very close to the HS Filter'trons on post-FMIC Gretsches. The only difference most people see is the Gretsch has a flange mount on the bridge pickup - they even measure almost identical DCR, Henries and Gauss. The covers swap. The pickup screws on the Cabronita are a rounder head and longer and a different material. I had one intending to use it, before I just changed the magnets in my '97 MIJ pickups - which also measured up almost the same. A/B tests put the LaCab pickup to be very close to the stock FMIC Gretsch and TV Jones Classics in every way.

I am going back to a 250kohm pot, the pickups are very bright. Whenever you hear a guitar and are not quite sure if it's a Tele bridge, it's often a Gretsch. They have few winds on the bobbins, in series only 3.9 kohms.

They use double thickness magnets - I stacked a pair of PAF sized in each of mine - to get output which is still low compared to Gibby hummers which usually measure at~ 8kohm for PAFs

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?288912-Review-Fender-Fideli-tron-vs-TV-Classics

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 5:44 AM

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The original 2 pickup La Cabronita Especial was fitted with an S1 vol control which introduced some different tones.

Diagram
    La_Cabronita_Especial_wiring.jpg

Lefty Addams likes this.

9. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

This is getting interesting! I really appreciate the information.... Now I just have to figure out which way I want to go with it!

BTW - what do you all think of these pickups: GFS KP-Memphis Alnico 2 ?

Thanks!
    Will

10. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Hey Will didn't mean to bust into your thread mate!

But as you say, it is getting interesting isn't it lol

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Many people like them. They are standard sized HB's made to emulate Filtertrons. They also have a Mini-bucker sized Liverpool and Nashville type.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I knew TV Jones made the pickups for Fender, but TVJ's own pickups sound a little brighter than the Fender one for some reason. Guess that was done to able to offer a different pickup for swapping.;)

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've done some experimentation with TV Jones Classics, Gretsch Filtertrons, and even TV Jones T-Armonds, and built in push-pull switches to cut extra volume and the tone pots. The difference is negligible to my ears on clean tones. The biggest change I notice is with semi-clean and dirt, but not nearly as dramatic as I might of hoped. When I was using a Cab, I added a 500k pot, but I then missed the tone knob. I don't plan on revisiting my Gretsches with the push-pull, but I won't be doing it again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.