Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"two volumes, no tone pot, no switch" wiring needed

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by appar111, Sep 28, 2017.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    Hoping folks here have a wiring diagram that I can use for my tele that has the following:

• two volumes (one for bridge pickup, one for neck pickup)
    • no tone pot (second volume pot in place of tone pot)
    • no switch - I'm looking for something that negates the need for a switch of any kind, and will allow me to separately control each pickup's volume
    When both pickup volumes are up all the way, it should sound just like a regular tele in the middle position.

Does such a wiring diagram exist? If so, can someone post it here? I'd imagine it'll have two lead wires and two ground wires going from their respective volume pots to the output jack?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    It would be a Jazz bass wiring, with no tone control, and with Tele pickups.

[​IMG]

3. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    Cool! I'm definitely not used to seeing the lead wire from a pickup go to the middle lug!

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's the price you gotta pay to get pickups that function without a switch. If wired the other way, turning down one pickup will mute the whole guitar.

5. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    So with this wiring each pickup will still function independently?

thanks for posting this! I just found your other post on this in a search, and by the time I bumped that one, you posted here-- thanks man!

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois

7. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    That's not going to work. You've got to get something connected to the wipers if you want the volume controls to do anything.

Edit: Disregard, I missed the white wires in the drawing above.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

8. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    The signal lead (white wire) of each pickup goes to the wiper of each volume pot. It's standard jazz bass wiring which is just two pickups in parallel.

9. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    You're right... I missed the white wires in the drawing.

This scheme does help minimize interaction between the volume controls. You may find that the pickups sound pretty bright. You can tame them a bit if you add a small cap to each volume control.

2 Single coil 2 vol no switch no tone.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.