Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Two Teles. What Pickups for Most Versatility?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Greenbuttskunk, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Greenbuttskunk

Greenbuttskunk NEW MEMBER!

Mar 31, 2011
    VA
    I'm a bit shocked that I've never posted before, but here it is, my first post. I used to read posts religiously here, but surprisingly, never posted.

At any rate, I have a CV50 I picked up in 2008 or 09. I'm primarily an acoustic player. My tele has gotten most of its play at night, unplugged, as a means to play without waking up the kids. However, I love plugging it in and playing loud when everyone's out of the house.

Now my question-To make a long story short, I'm about to start building a tele. I came into a wonderful body for way too cheap.

I love the classic tele twang and honky tonk. I also love a lot of classic rock etc.

I'm trying to figure out what combination of pickups I could put in both teles to give me the most versatility.

My initial thought is to put a set of Nocaster pickups with a 4-way switch in the new build. Since the CV is routed for a humbucker, maybe throw a humbucker in that one and something a little hotter than the Nocaster bridge in the CV.

What combination of pickups would you choose to give you the most versatility in two teles?

2. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    Most versatility is going to be different from person to person depending on what they do. That being said, the 4 way switch mod to any two standard telecaster pickups opens up a world of versatility. It gives you any standard tele sound and gives a nice 'buckerish sound too. Maybe a Twisted Tele neck pickup to give a strat neck sound with the Broadcaster bridge and a 4 way. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

3. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Try the new V-Mods. IMO the best sounding Fender pups available. Maybe go to a big box store and play an Am Pro 2017 to see if you like them.

4. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida

5. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Hmmm well since the Telecaster, in its' basic form, has for years and years been THE GUITAR that possibly was used more than any other guitar ( except for possibly the Strat) in all the recorded music that is the basis on which we base everything else I'd say a straight ahead good set of standard Tele pickups.

Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.