Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jerry Lee, May 30, 2018.
I love this! Great work.
Hold on Jerry Lee. What you are looking at there is a very old and difficult method of pickup winding. I’ve seen some 50s Framus pups wound this way. The winder is set up to wind a stand-alone coil. When done, the big loose doughnut of magnet wire is the very carefully taped into resembling a skinny, floppy doughnut but dimensioned for the magnet array and housing. I don’t recommend this method for the novice but give it a go if you crave a challenge.
Oh no. I wouldn't even think about trying to wind a stand alone coil. I could save time just throwing my spool of coil wire away.
I was more interested on the wooden surround for the pickup.
Maybe one day for the challenge but after lots of practice.
I’m relieved that I completely misunderstood your intentions. Yes, the wood enclosure is cool if you have the room for it.
Also, you said the “C” word.....
Since I have this block of rosewood I figured I could make the nut and bridge out of it.
I cut small pieces on the scroll saw and the shaped them mostly on the spindle sander.
I had some thin rosewood too so I decided to make control plates out of it.
Cut a 1" strip.
Drilled some holes.
That piece is the vol/tone plate and the output jack plate. Safer to drill first then cut and shape.
Then off to the drill press for some 7/8" holes.
One for the output
Three for the volume and tone. I cleaned this up with a chisel and some sandpaper. 1/4" hole connects the controls and the output.
Some spare 500k mini pots and dome knobs.
Maybe not done with it but the bridge seems rather wide at the point where the strings will make contact. Isn't it better to have an edge?
It does have an edge. The front edge.
Same as a nut doesn't have to come to a point. The top of my bridge is actually not as wide as the bridge on my upright bass. Big strings need big support. If I sanded it to a sharp edge there would not be much wood to laterally support the strings and the slot would still be wider anyway.
Looking very nice!
How are you going to finish the body??
I'm thinking about Bulls Eye Amber Shellac like this pine Tele. (Google image not mine)
Will give it a nice stand up bass finish.
How is the pickup coming?
Funny you should ask.
I'm reworking/tuning up the winder and have decided to go with a wood pick up cover. Still working out the details but put together a rough cover.
Maple scrap 7/8" forstner bit for the holes.
Thinking about allen head screws instead of button head. Probably will be adjustable.
And in keeping with the cover plates I laminated a rosewood face on the cover.
The cover will look awesome! The change in screw head style will alter the magnetic field, possibly impacting tone. A little experimentation might be in order before you settle the design and lock everything in. My $.02.
This is a great thread.
Simultaneously reminds me of the devo 2x4 bass and the Bogdon bass.
Erno Zwaan was a pick fan of allen head screws in his Animal Magnetism for Musicians.
The whole thing is an experiment so nothing is locked in at this point if ever. It will be interesting to try different designs based on the sewing machine bobbin coils.
Thanks I know the LeBaye 2x4 but the Bogdon is a new one. Very interesting.
For the attention of @Jerry Lee
We do hereby formally request a progress report!
Calling Jerry Lee, come in Jerry Lee, over.