Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Two String Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jerry Lee, May 30, 2018.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Flatwounds seem appropriate for an upright inspired instrument :)

Kriticaster and Jerry Lee like this.
  2. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    It certainly wouldn't be hard. It is such a simple design and I am struggling to stay with the original plans. Even with the first body I made for this one before I decided to try and stay as true to the original as possible.
    So many possibilities with the simple fretless neck- longer scale, cigar box bass, various body styles.
    Pretty sure this won't be my last 2 stringer.

Kriticaster likes this.
  3. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Thank you. It did come out nice and much easier than I expected. Sort of borrowed the mininalist scroll design from the Ampeg Baby Bass.

Kriticaster likes this.
  4. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I will probably put some strap buttons on it too.

Kriticaster likes this.
  5. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I prefer flats on all my basses. I went with rounds on the 8 string I am building mostly because they don't make flatwound 8 string sets and I think rounds might be more what an 8 string needs.
    But for this one definitely flats for the tone but also because rounds tear up fretless fingerboards.

Kriticaster likes this.
  6. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Still trying to dig out the parts I have collected over the years. I know I have a HF router speed controller somewhere but damned if I can find it.

7. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA

I found the counter and the speed control foot pedal. The motor at full is too many RPMs for the counter. The first one stripped a gear. The motor only draws .8 amps but the first foot pedal controller failed pretty quickly at full speed. It is a very basic rheostat controller so I may rework the burnt out one with heavier nichrome wire or parallel a power resistor to take some of the load and keep the top speed of the motor at a more resonable rate than 1725 RPM.
    Or I could use a different motor, PWM speed controller and a digital counter. But where's the fun in that? :lol:

Kriticaster likes this.
  8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Harbor Freight sells a router speed controller pretty cheap that should do the job.

papaschtroumpf likes this.
  9. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I know. I have one buried in my garage somewhere. I might have to admit defeat and pick up another one.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    That's the way things go, can't find it when you need it, see it all the time when you don't need it.

11. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Exactly what happened. I got sick of moving it out of my way so I put it someplace safe. So safe I may never find it again.

Zepfan and Kriticaster like this.
  12. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Routed the neck slot. Nice tight fit but only went 1/2" deep so I'll give it another pass and take off another 1/8" or so.
    I also radiused the edges with a 3/8" router bit. Before I routed the neck slot.

20180709_172657.jpg 20180709_174910.jpg 20180710_032135.jpg

13. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    Looking superb, it was the right decision to make the scroll headstock

Jerry Lee likes this.
  14. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Thanks. Glad I did it really ties it all together.

Chordophonic and Kriticaster like this.
  15. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    A little metal fab today. Brass tailpiece.
    20180711_171900.jpg 20180711_171841.jpg 20180711_171758.jpg 20180711_171740.jpg 20180711_171721.jpg

16. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I found some button head 1/4-20 screws today and think they will make nice pole pieces for the pickup. I'll make a steel base plate and stack some suitably sizes fridge magnets or break a Strat pickup ceramic magnet to fit.
    20180711_174447.jpg

Barncaster and Kriticaster like this.
  17. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I see the doorstop :)

You didn't follow the plan exactly for the tail piece!

Nice job, I have no tools or knowledge for working sheet metal so I'm not sure what the tools in the picture is, for bending or cutting?

Kriticaster and Jerry Lee like this.
  18. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    It's a throatless cutter. Beats the heck out of tin snips. Much cleaner cut and it is better at cutting curves too.

The biggest changes from the plan is the round end so that provides a better base for the door stop and holes for the strings instead of slots which is a stronger way to hold the strings. The sides were cut straight for aesthetics and also it is just easier that way.

Another variation that will come later is I am going to sand a flat section at the base so the tailpiece and the doorstop have a nice solid point of attachment. I had been considering it and after trying to put the tailpiece and peg on today it just isn't solid enough with the curved end.

Kriticaster likes this.
  19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Jerry Lee,
    I’ve done this successfully just drilling the bobbins 3/16” and inserting short (0.531”) Jazzmaster A5 rods. Really simple and effective. Your bolt configuration is even simpler. I think a ceramic bar inserted diagonally below so the bolt shafts contact opposite sides of the bar will give you the opposite polarities needed by the two poles. That and connect the bobbin lead ends together with one remaining beginning to ground and the last to hot and you will have a humbucker! The baseplate is a great idea but must be grounded. Put roughly 5000 winds on each bobbin with a judicious delta of your choosing, pot well and you are good to go! Also recommended are 500 meg pots and a .022mF cap. A treble bleed circuit wouldn’t hurt either. PM me if you need specs.
    Rob

20. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Mark Grant posted some pictures on the What's on Your Workbench thread of a Magnatone pickup he is rewinding.
    This might be a good direction to take this pickup. IMG_9104.JPG IMG_9109.JPG

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.