Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Two String Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jerry Lee, May 30, 2018.

1. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    That is so cool. I know I have tins somewhere in the garage that I have saved for a project like this. Fretless baritone would sound very cool too.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Tinjo's/Canjo's have a great sound and I just got curious about one used with a long scale. I'll never try to make my own tuners again. Too much hassle. The Rod piezo is different from the round ones, less noise and the have a smooth sound. Not expensive either, this one was for a 4-string Ukulele and cost around $2.50.

Jerry Lee likes this.

3. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    One of my first builds was a 5 string canjo. Used a Folgers Moutain Grown coffee can. I'll have to dig it up and post a picture. I did put a piezo disc on it. It didn't sound any worse than a real banjo. Lol

Making tuners would be a pain in the backside. Especially when you can buy a cheap set for less than one of those eye bolts cost.

Kriticaster and Zepfan like this.

4. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I got side tracked digging through boxes in the garage trying to find pickup winder parts so I didn't get a lot done today.
    I did get the one thing I wanted to do done though..."ebonize" the fingerboard. By "ebonize" I mean make it black using ebony stain.
    20180703_162640.jpg
    20180703_211427.jpg
    I masked off the edges thinking I could leave them natural oak as a faux binding but I may stain them ebony after I shave down the fingerboard. Right now there is an overhang on each side of the neck.
    20180703_194906.jpg
    It came out nice and black. A little to shiny so I'll give it a few days to completely dry and buff it down with a fine grade Scotch Bright pad.
    20180703_211315.jpg

Zepfan, Barncaster and Kriticaster like this.

5. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I decided the headstock needs to be thicker.
    :cool: 20180706_192230.jpg

6. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    This is why I need a thicker headstock.

I was planning on using some cheap guitar tuners. The peg holes need to be drilled out a bit for bass strings but that is basically what Hofner uses anyway so it does work.

When I was seeing how and where the tuners would fit I noticed that one of the holes was dead center on the face of the headstock.
    20180707_084909.jpg
    Which got me thinking that this does need a scroll headstock.
    20180707_084257.jpg

7. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Yes! We like!!

Jerry Lee likes this.

8. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Needed to cut the fingerboard overhang off before getting stuck into the scroll.
    20180707_111352.jpg
    Used the bandsaw with a home made fence. Worked well. Not too much sanding. Which is good because it is f-ing hot today.
    20180707_111352.jpg

Kriticaster likes this.

9. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I had taken a picture of the final scroll design drawn on the neck and used Big Print to make a scaled cardboard template.
    20180707_133229.jpg
    Then drilled the tuner holes on the drill press with a 1/4" forstner bit. Had to drill them first so they were nice and square and no tearout in the slot.
    20180707_133211.jpg
    Then 3/8" forstner bit for the slot. Had to wait between holes to let the bit cool so it didn't burn the wood too bad. I was going to drill holes along the length of the slot but with the heat it would have taken forever. Used the Otter router table with a guide fence. Needs some cleanup sanding but came out good for a first time slotter.
    20180707_133135.jpg

Kriticaster likes this.

10. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Need to take it for a trip on the spindle sander but glad I decided to go with the scroll. Very stylish.
    I think the tuners peeking through is a nice feature.
    20180707_133448.jpg 20180707_133504.jpg 20180707_133518.jpg

11. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    After a trip to the spindle sander.
    20180707_202350.jpg 20180707_202411.jpg

12. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    That scroll was a great idea! Nicely executed....

Jerry Lee likes this.

13. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    The original article says you can also play it in the crook of your arm.

Edit: I'll be interested to see what you think of how comfortable it is to pkay, either as an upright or like a regular bass.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Jerry Lee and Kriticaster like this.

14. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    It wouldn't be too much of a drama to change the body stlye to suit playing like a regular bass, if starting from scratch.....

Jerry Lee likes this.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Soooooooooooo cool. Jerry Lee, you have to promise me to do part of the demo for this trough a fuzz pedal. Fuzzed out bass is just the balls.

Jerry Lee likes this.

16. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I did a search on this thread so I didn't double post on Morphine. YES! Mark Sandman was amazing and the king of 2 string slide bass as far as I'm concerned. Saw Morphine several times back in the 90's and they were incredible as was Marks' tone. Huge STV tone with that Ampeg scroll bass he had.

Kriticaster and Jerry Lee like this.

17. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I never really got into playing fuzz bass myself until my band played Human Fly by the Cramps at our last gig. That was definitely the balls.

Barncaster and Kriticaster like this.

18. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Drilled for the tuner screws very carefully so as not to pop through into the slot. Nipped about an 1/8" off the screws too just to be safe.
    20180708_122111.jpg
    Also drilled for tuner bushings. Nice detail. Really finishes it up and make it look like it is supposed to be used this way.
    20180708_122127.jpg
    And you can also see a couple of bass strings. An E and an A off of a set of flats I had laying around. Drilled the tuner holes with metric bits stepping it up one mm at a time.
    20180708_122120.jpg

Barncaster and Kriticaster like this.

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

How is that pickup winder coming Jerry Lee?

Jerry Lee likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.