Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Two String Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jerry Lee, May 30, 2018.

1. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I found a piece of oak just the right length in the wood pile so the door threshold fingerboard will wait for another project. Went ahead and glued the oak on. Not quite sure how I will finish it. Maybe just clear lacquer but the plans do say to dye it black. I still need to radius the fingerboard so I might stain it ebony after I radius it and then cut and sand it to the neck width to give it some faux binding.
    20180701_161652.jpg

Kriticaster likes this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow. This thing is just sooooo cool.

Jerry Lee likes this.
  3. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2016
    Australia
    Yep, I'm really liking this.

Jerry Lee likes this.
  4. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Not too exciting picture wise but I radiused the fingerboard today. Went with 12" radius because it's the only block I have. Not a dramatic difference but the plans to say to curve the fingerboard slightly. In this case very slightly. 20180702_150247.jpg 20180702_151256.jpg 20180702_151234.jpg In fact barely noticable.

Kriticaster likes this.
  5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Cool Project.

Are you aware of a guy named Stig Pedersen?
    [​IMG]
    He's the bass player for a danish rock band called "D-A-D" which stands for "Disneyland After Dark."
    [​IMG]
    He has some crazy custom basses which all share one common thing: they have two strings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I have seen pictures of the backward bass. Didn't ever notice it only had two strings.

Kriticaster likes this.
  7. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I seriously didn't realize 2 string basses are really a thing. I have just been on the Google and there a lots of 2 stringers out there. I must be weird. I actually play all four strings on my bass. Maybe I'm trying too hard. :D

Kriticaster likes this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Morphine used a 2 string bass.. I think the Presidents of the USA played with a 2 string bass as well....

9. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    Lyon, France
    This project is way too cool :)

Two-stringers are actually a lot of fun to play, and truly usable instruments. I made this little bugger a few months ago:

20120328_000433.jpg

It is only a crude, one-afternoon thing I made specifically for a recording session because I needed fretless sounds, but I found myself playing it a lot more than I thought I would. The body/neck is one piece of walnut I salvaged from work (the curve on top is actually the natural curve from the outside of the tree). I had to fit the controls inside a little piece of mahogany which I screwed to the bottom because there was so little space left once I attached that stupidly oversized Jazzmaster rail pickup to the 'body'.

If your winder proves to be too much of a pain to get running again, just send me a PM and I'll wind you a pickup, free of charge! I really like where this build is going :)

10. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Legend!!

Mark Sandman of Morphine... the song ‘Buena’ changed music for me forever!

If I recall correctly he died of a heart attack onstage, aged around 50...

Sad loss, but he influenced so many people!!

Jerry Lee and DocScotter like this.
  11. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Jerry Lee likes this.
  12. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    And now I want to build myself a 2 string bass!!

Jerry Lee and DocScotter like this.
  13. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Cool project! I think k there is something like that in my future! Love the door stop spike :)

I have always want to try ebonizing oak and I have a piece of red oak that would make a good fingerboard as long as I glue it to something bigger. Maybe a 3 piece skunk stripe style sandwich?

Looking forward to the pickup making as it's the part I have no experience with (I love the idea of a piezzo but that feels like a cop out so I would likely do both?

I might look into scroll style headstock? Why keep things simple :)

Subscribed!

Kriticaster and Jerry Lee like this.
  14. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    That is so cool. It's like Mad Max's bass.
    Thanks for the offer of winding the pickup. This winder is my attempt to make/tribute to Leo's original winder. I have the hall sensors and digital counter to set my lathe up for winding too. So we'll see if I need help.

15. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    Me too! I have a short scale Harley Benton neck doing nothing, I can feel a project coming on!

16. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I thought about ebonizing the fingerboard but it takes at least a week to make the solution and I have some ebony stain. I will probably brew up some ebonizing solution anyway because I have wanted to try it for a while.

It will have a magnetic pickup. Barncaster suggested two sewing machine bobbins with alnico 5 magnets wired humbucker style. Genius.

The piezo is more because I want an acoustic sound and I want to experiment with various piezos, (chips, films, coax) and preamps.

Scroll headstock would be so cool. I am trying to keep this close to the original plans but I am pretty sure there will be one in my future that takes it to another level.

Kriticaster likes this.
  17. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Do it! :)

Kriticaster likes this.
  18. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Same here which is why I mentioned it, plus it's much more "DIY".

Let us know the piezzo selection process was you go through. My only piezzo experience is ripping the sound emitting wafer from a fire alarm or a clip-on tuner and gluing it into a cigar box. Works great but picks up a y tapping or rubbing on the body (which I would use to my advantage for rhythm if I had any skill)

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I built a totally crazy monstrosity last year that is still waiting on a 3-way switch. Hard to even classify it. It's a 5 string 27" scale baritone guitar bass that happens to be fretless and headless. It uses big anchor bolts as tuners. I was going for homemade and it doesn't work great, but it does work. The body is a large cookie tin.
    So I guess it's a headless, fretless, tinjo Bass V.
    It has a rod piezo bridge and a old Japanese large single coil pickup under a dog ear P90 cover in the neck. The piezo works fine. I started off with a 500k volume pot because of the impedance difference, but I'm going to try a 250k because the rod piezo is a little different.
    Here's a couple pics without the neck pickup. I'll probably finish this thing next month. That's a good name for it - "The Thing".

Attached Files:

Jerry Lee likes this.
  20. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I have about that much experience with piezos too. That's why I want to experiment. To dig deeper. Also why I want to test preamp circuits.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.