Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Two single coils in a humbucker space?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by backporchmusic, Mar 11, 2018.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    Does anyone make two single coils, that you can wire up separately, that fit into a standard humbucker space? That you can just slip into a plastic humbucker surround and drop in?

So much potential for this idea...

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    I seem to remember investigating this idea a while ago and finding out that the proximity of the coils does undesirable things. But I'm sure someone here knows more.
    backporchmusic likes this.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    A Seymour Duncan Stag Mag is somewhat close.
    backporchmusic and SweetClyde99 like this.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    That is exactly what the bridge pup(s) on the fender Jeff Beck model were, .a thicker, non humbucking sound.
    I have done similar on a squier CV bass, but the bobbins being triangulated it wont do for a square slot or bucker ring mounting .

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Strat pickups are wider than standard humbuckers (maybe not without the covers). I have converted an HSS into SSS by fitting a Strat bridge pickup inside the humbucker cutout but it needed to be at an angle (which was fine, I could play it like standard or with the Hendrix-reverse-angle).

Robbie Robertson Custom Shop Strat is pretty close, but needs a custom pickguard. There was a Korean/Japanese made Squier model that had two single coils like this for the bridge and no neck pickup.

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    I thought of the Robbie Robertson guitar, but wondered if there were a drop-in solution. I've got a carved top guitar that might not work with a pickguard to hide the routing, so my options are limited.

But I was thinking of a 4 pickup run with inside coils that have on/off switches, and the outer with a three way switch.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Squires will fit, at least in all the routes i ve tried, Squire or MIM bodies. I made 2 into a HB using a AlNiCo bar just like normal or you can get replacement magnets for the poles. BTW they sound fantastic. When made into a HB it actually sounds like a Strat p-up as a HB instead of generic like actual Fender HBs.

8. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    It sounds like you just need a 4 lead humbucker or two.

The stag mag was already mentioned. It’s supposed to be two stratpickups together HB style. It’s not modular but modular is going to take custom work.

I’d be inclined run 4 lead tv Jones with a conversion ring, or in their humbucker sized configuration

9. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    Well, that is exactly what it is...2 single coils (with staggered magnet poles) and 4 wires. You can build one yourself with any 2 single coils. Thing is, the series sound is not really like a humbucker, as it is too thick. The parallel sound is better, and may work in some guitars.

10. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've got a pickup designed by it's builder to sound like a WHRB that does this. Sounds great split. Doesn't sound thick in series. I don't know what magic he's doing.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have two 5-Way Switches operating this very pup scenario. Much more possibilities. BTW my inner pups (RP/RW) are tapped so when you go series, it doesn't go all boom-town. You may want to play with some junk drawer pups to see what I mean because it is severe otherwise. Keeps the mids musical too. PLEASE post the end product!! Very interesting. Happy tweaking!!

12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    Not sure, but the idea isn’t new. Hamer USA had a model of guitar that did that. I think it was the Phantom. In fact, I think it had what looked like a triple coil pickup, but was actually a humbucker and a single coil in the same space.

13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    While it is not exactly what the OP is suggesting, Dean Zelinsky is using paired single coils in his Sidekick pickups.

Here are pics of a loaded guard I bought used locally.

Deanpickups.jpg Deanpickups5.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.