Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Two position three position switch

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Wrighty, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Still learning how to drive my new AmPro. Sitting here tonight I’ve noticed that there seems to be no change in tone at all between the bridge only pick up and both pickups. Doesn’t matter where the tone control is set. I’m about to raise the neck pick up and lower the bridge to offset some of the treble. Anyone any other ideas, please. I know that the switch is working.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Tap the pickups with a paper clip and switch sel. positions to verify

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Done that, both pickups are live with switchbin neck position. Before I go to my dealer, coukd it be anything to do with the treble bleed feature?

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Both pickups are live with the switch in the neck position?

How are these meant to be wired? Is this the 'standard' Bridge / Bridge + Neck / Neck switching set-up?

If so, both pickups live in the neck position isn't as it should be.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Plug a cable into the guitar and put an ohm meter on the tip and ground ring of the cable. Put guitar knobs on 10 and move the switch to each position. You should see kohms for each pickup that should be different within a small range (example could be: 7kohm for neck, 8kohm for bridge) while the middle neck+bridge position will be about half the kohms (say 3.5kohms) of the two pickups since that switch position puts the pickups in parallel. If not wired right you'll have all sorts of odd results and know you need to rework the wiring.

CFFF likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Well, checked it out, definitely a wire adrift somewhere. Just dropped into the tech at the shop I bought it from, he’ll get back to me tomorrow. Back up Tele in use at tonight’s rehearsal

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Found it! Note to self, check alerts. Problem sorted, Barry wouldn’t disclose exactly what was found but did say it had probably ‘happened’ rather than been ‘built in’ from new. Probably a short or wire come adrift. Anyways, Tele home safe and getting close to the tone I’m after

CFFF and Danjabellza like this.
  8. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.