Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Two parts '54 Precision, One part Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by loopy reed, Feb 25, 2017.

1. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Image1526337455.292001.jpg

Hung it up in the stairwell to my basement, because it may be too humid outside. My test piece was still a little too soft to sand after about an hour and a half.

2. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    I vote yes to making a neck. How hard can it be?

3. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Go for it. Build the neck. Worst that can happen is you make a practice neck first and then make the real one.

loopy reed likes this.

4. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    Beautiful. I may need a moment alone. :D

Barncaster and loopy reed like this.

5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga

6. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    I'm with you on the natural finish. Bursts are usually about as close as I want to get to a natural finish. Too Seventies, denim shirt for my tastes. But man this one looks so good au natural and it fits with the T-Bird vibe.

loopy reed likes this.

7. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I guess there's only one way to find out. As a former Top Gear fan, I do know that the phrase "how hard can it be" usually precedes a massive failure, but that's how you learn right?

No harm in trying it, I suppose. I may make some drawings today just to get familiar.

NOK.jpeg

lol thank you!

I only wear denim shirts so maybe that explains it. I tried hard to convince the future owner to go with something that shows the grain, no luck. I also suggested the Gibson cherry red finish because I thought it would look great with a single ply white guard, but he doesn't really like any Gibson finishes.

8. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    It would look amazing in cherry red.

9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Former? Even the reruns are fantastic. MORE POWER!!!!

10. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Grain filler

Image1526415627.460190.jpg

I already did the back, using an old credit card. Didn’t get any points for doing that, unfortunately.

Also I think it went on a little too thick because it started crackling as it dried. I sanded most of it off and tried a wipe-on approach with the front. It goes on a little thinner this way but it’s at least controllable. This being my first experience with this part, I’m gonna play it safe.

11. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I should clarify - I’m a Clarkson May and Hammond fan. I love the older episodes and really love The Grand Tour.

When they filmed the episode in Nashville I found out way too late and looked into getting tickets. I found out later over a million people requested tickets, and something like a thousand people were allowed in the filming area. Of those thousand, maybe 200 we’re allowed into the tent. I had no chance, but you can at least see the office where I work in the background!

Barncaster and Muzikp like this.

12. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    So far, grain filling has been the most challenging thing about this build. Could be that I haven’t really done it before?

I made a sanding stick with 220 in one side and 320 on the other. I realized it wasn’t exactly level so I spent ALL DAY on it.

Image1526589226.750575.jpg

I have to keep reminding myself it won’t be this ugly for much longer, otherwise it makes me want to stop.

13. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Don't leave too much of the grain filler on the project when applying it. You'll only make more work for yourself. I would sand with any coarser than 320 grit when removing the over fill, and I like to use a stiff foam sanding block to do so. Avoid the edges until the very end. The paper will really bite into them and you'll lose your contours. It's looking great

14. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Thank you that’s great advice! I’ve been trying running it in with my hands, and really applying pressure so there isn’t a lot of it left. Let’s see how this works

15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Next time I do one, I will try a silicon spatula to apply and scrape off

loopy reed likes this.

16. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Image1526590484.562234.jpg

Little bit better

Barncaster likes this.

17. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Same. I already have the next three ideas planned out!

Barncaster likes this.

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

That looks the bees knees. Time to build up finish coats.

Barncaster and loopy reed like this.

19. loopy reed

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    FINALLY got the grain filler sanded mostly flat and realized I was missing something

Image1526934031.229480.jpg

Yep - bridge ground. Glad I caught it now rather than later.

I’m guessing the bridge will go about there, so I used some tape to draw a line for where I want the channel to go.

Image1526934074.899508.jpg

Hogged out with a Forstner. Good enough for us R people.

Image1526934122.610940.jpg

fidopunk likes this.

20. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That babics bridge is a right looker.

loopy reed likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.