Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Two Jay Turser strats for $300...should i buy??

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by G-A-Nator, Mar 24, 2012.

1. G-A-Nator

G-A-Nator TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Hey guys! I found a great deal on two Jay Turser strat style axes that have been hot rodded and they look sweet. The guy sellin em lives across the country from me so i cant test em but hes sellin them both for $300. Should i even bother?

2. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    No, put the 300.00 towards something better...

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    The Jay Turser's I've played have been pretty good for the money. I have read the older ones aren't as good. $150 each used doesn't seem like a steal. When you say hot rodded?....better pickup?.....trem?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. trailboss

trailboss Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2009
    Southeastern IL
    Local GC was selling overstock Tursers recently for $89 each. They were in the Used section and carried no warranty, but were fresh out of the box. I picked up a 51 reissue P bass as a modding platform. The birdseye maple neck alone is worth near $250. Anyhoo, Tursers are generally pretty nice for the money, but the resale value is almost non existent. Worth the $$ is VERY subjective obviously. I'd probably pass if I couldn't physically touch 'em and check 'em out. Unless they have $300 of add-on parts, etc.

6. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2010
    ohio
    One of my main axes is a Turser strat with GFS '60's repro overwound pickups. I got the guitar for $75 including shipping, the p'ups for $60 and did the work myself. the result = a vintagey sounding guitar that I love playing, for $135. Only if your guy upgraded the p'ups, bridge, tuning keys, and strap locks on at least one of those would I say $300 for 2 is a good deal, even though the neck is awesome IMO.

7. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2006
    In The Basement
    +1

You only get what you pay for. You should be able to find a nice MIM Std Strat for that money. Also, if you ever decide to sell, the Fender will sell quicker and for more money.

Good luck in your search.

8. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Mar 19, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Find a MIM 08-2010 and you will have a much nicer guitar. The MIM from 08 to now have very nice necks and later you can change the pups out.
    2nd though even a CV 50' or 60's Squier is better in my opinion. I do not like the pups in the 60's at all but the CV 50's pups are pretty decent.

9. G-A-Nator

G-A-Nator TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2012
    How much would be a fair price?

10. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

jay tursers worth about $50 imho not $150

11. G-A-Nator

G-A-Nator TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Lol i was actually askin bout used mim strats. The prices vary quite a bit from wat i see

12. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    $175-375.00, high side should be mint. 175.00 won;t be pretty, to say the least.

Don't pay more for upgraded unless it is exactly what you would have done, exactly. IMO

Make sure the truss is viable, lots of newbee wrenchers trash it on one of several ways tinkering...

13. G-A-Nator

G-A-Nator TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Thats good advice...thanks!

14. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Another vote for a used MIM. I got mine for $275, and it's a really sweet player. Way better than any Jay Turser I've ever seen.

15. G-A-Nator

G-A-Nator TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Well i think im gonna pass on the jts. Im actully looking at laguna now haha

16. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

id only buy that stuff if its an amazing deal....like $75 or less

an old MIM is the best bang for buck tele..hand down

i always wind up re-selling those off brands...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.