Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Two Guitars - One Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markw51, Mar 30, 2010.

1. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Whats the best way to mix two guitars into one amp?

2. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    For playing simultaneously, or alternating between two guitars and keeping them both plugged in?

3. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Simultaneously.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. alexpigment

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    I would assume you could use something like this:

[​IMG]

Then again, I have a feeling the amp police will be all over this and tell me about overloading current etc. When I was a kid, I wired up everything from parts I had lying around and it worked and nothing burned down. Bottom line, I think this will work.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have one of the Morley boxes but I use it in the reverse direction.....I play a Taylor T-5 through an elctric amp or an acoustic amp or both amps. (A/B/Y)

The Morley box is bulletproof no matter what direction you run the signal. Nice tool.

7. Separate channels? Am I missing something?

8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    Yes, that box, or another like it, will do the trick. I use one with two different guitars at all of our rehearsals. (although not simultaneously - there's only one of me!)

9. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Sackville
    I use a Radial Bigshot ABY

10. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I have an A/B box at the front of my pedal board to switch between guitars. I can turn A on, B on, or leave both of them on or off, (it's not an A/B/Y switch). I've tried both guitars "on" and both signals are very, very weak.

I'm not sure that Morley box is doing anything different than what I had done. Right?

11. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2008
    New York
    Hey, those are some pretty nice guitars... huh, wonder what amps for, interes-OH DEAR GOD!!! NOO!!!!!!!!!

(had to make a reference to that disqusting video that the title reminded me of...

I think that A-B box would be the best bet though.

12. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    The best way is to get another amp.

Seriously, any attempt to run 2 guitars simultaneously into 1 amp is going to be a compromise, somewhere. People have done it, for sure; I personally have done it. I personally have run an acoustic guitar and a vocal mic into a Fender tube guitar amp... it got me through the gig, and worked reasonably well.

But with any combination, you're definitely giving up the ability to optimize the guitar/amp sound.

13. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    So it would work for impromptu drunk karaoke with guitar? :D

M

14. alexpigment

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    Haha :)

Anyway, yes, two amps are ideal of course, but I figured that wasn't an option otherwise the op wouldn't be asking a question here.

15. alexpigment

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    I would assume this is because A is 100% A, B is 100% B, and Y is 50% A and 50% B. Right?

16. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    Always wondered why these boxes are called A/B/Y and not A/B/C ? :confused:

17. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    "C" would imply a third input. I've always assumed the "Y" is symbolic of both signals meeting and going through, but I could be wrong...

- Scott

18. alexpigment

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    This is what I always assumed it was for too, but it's possible we're wrong together.

19. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Way back when we used to plug everything into anything .mikes ,bass,guitars etc ..Amps were a premium buy and hard to get and heavy to get on a bus , so anything went.Sometimes if a guy could barely play but had a decent amp ,he was in .

20. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

Jun 28, 2006
    Aurora,Colorado
    That's why old Fender amps had two sets of inputs and two sets of controls.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.