Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

two amplifiers into one speaker cabinet...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Okay....

generally, both amps would not be being played through at the same time, BUT, they would both be on...

Could you be wired to the same speaker cabinet from two different amps without causing harm to the amplifiers or speakers?
  2. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I wonder if you could just do it with an A-B box?? But the amp wants a load on it, so it's probably not something that's easy to do
  3. can't use AB box for this application... has to be mechanically wired and not switched.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. repeat... this has to be hard wired NO SWITCHERS

sorry... it won't work in this application.
  6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't think it's a good idea without having a switch that takes one amp off the speaker and onto a dummy load while switching the other head onto the speakers.

The OTs of your two heads will be connected to each other and tha'ts probably bad

There are stereo amps that send 2 power amp outputs to each speaker inside the same cab though.. ..
  7. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    Do you already have the cab in question? Could you just get a stereo 2x12/2x10/4x12 etc. and connect one head to each 'speaker' in the cab?
  8. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2006
    Central TX
    2X12 cab, each amp uses just one speaker, doh, marshman beat me to it...
  9. okay, I'll provide more information---> I need a generally idiot proof way to provide sound reinforcement in a meeting room.

the room has a fairly complex sound system (requiring a sound man) but, generally, the room is for much more 'general meeting' type activities. The room has a nice projector, connected to it is an Apple TV... a really nice feature of the apple tv is that you can 'beam' your video and audio to it without a a cable!

It is fantastic. You can use a computer or an iphone or ipad to 'beam' your screen to the projector (this room seats 400 people)....

The apple tv has optical audio out and I'd like to hook it to the speaker system for every day use.. use a simple but statically set amplifier with optical in and connect to the speakers that are used by the 'fancier' sound system for big meetings.

I'd like to NOT have to use a switcher as it is a point of failure for users and I want to not have people having trouble needlessly... so, if they are both statically and mechanically connected to the speakers... the systems will work like a champ.

My fallbacks are: 1) make sure the main system is off and wire them together with instructions to NOT run both at the same time 2) switcher (ugh) 3) separate system...

My goal is that the volume be managed by the device providing the input and leave it on all the time.
  10. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 17, 2012
    No matter how you do it, the two amps MUST be electronically isolated from each other at all times.
  12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Out West
    I do this! 2 amp heads into 1 cabinet. I have a Radial Headbone switcher. Works great. I run a 1964 Bandmaster and a 18W TMB Ceriatone, Marshall type amp into a Marshall 1960A JCM900 cab. Sounds great. Here is my setup on the right in this photo:

13. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    What does the sound system "for big meetings" use as a head unit?
    Is there anyway to route the Apple TV to the the same input for that system?
  14. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Wouldn't the "sound man" know the answer?

If not, he might be overpaid

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI
  15. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas

I am not sure all these tube amp concerns are applicable to solid state amp systems. I doubt any modern presentation sound equipment is tube based and that is where all the concerns for protecting the output tranny eminate.
    I would take the question to a mobile audio specialty shop. They deal with solid state powered audio gear daily.
  16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I used the Headbone switcher with a Ceritone OTS and DRRI, both into a 12" Tone Tubby. Worked great.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.