Twisted Tele v Texas Specials (tele)?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mojmud, May 23, 2019.

1. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Does anyone have experience of both of these Custom shop tele pickups? Trying to decide which to fit to my CS '52 which currently has Nocasters. I need a little more oomph, particularly in the neck, but don't want to loose the Tele twang or quack. I'd appreciate feedback!

2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

I have Texas Specials, heaps of oomph, not so much twang, don't have much to compare them to though

3. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

I think your current pickups are far superior to either of the one your referring to.

4. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Hi Nocastermike, I guess your name implies a little bias perhaps !

I don't deny the Nocasters are great sounding pups, especially the hand wound ones which I have (thanks Josephina). But like I say, I just need a bit more oomph for the sound I like. The '52is a Masterbuilt Paul Waller, a superb guitar, which is why I bought it , not worrying about the pickups at the time. What I'd really like to get hold of is a set of "Loaded Nocasters" but Fender don't sell them unless attached to a guitar. I emailed Paul to see if he could facilitate, but no response forthcoming.
    I'm trying to get more of a Broadcaster sound but again, Fender don't sell these separately. I've tried Kleins, and Bareknuckle Broadcaster sets, but neither have hit the spot for me.

I won't be parting with the Nocasters, but will lay them aside in case I want to swap back.

nocastermike likes this.
  5. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Reach out to Don Mare. He probably has what you need. Good turnaround times and spectacular pickups. I yanked a set of Josefina signed twisted tele pickups. Hated them. To strat sounding...but very hot and ballsy. I have a Ron Ellis in the neck and a don mare hayride in the bridge now. Pretty unbelievable combination.

mojmud likes this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

How about one of Cavaliers tapped Bridges ? I think "twang" and "oomph" represent two opposing frequency ranges, so having both might be impossible. Tell Rob what you want and he ll make it. I have a 3 output Hydra. Lowest output is twangy, highest is oomphy. In between is , in between.

mojmud likes this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I have texas specials in a James Burton MIM standard. To my ears, plenty of twang - I play in a house band that does everything from bluegrass ('lectrified!) through country to classic rock to almost jazz... covers that territory just fine, playing through a '66 BF Tremolux. Always hard to gauge how much twang is enough, though for someone else. Plus, I use a pedal board to get some of the dirt required for rock stuff.

I also had the twisted tele/broadcaster pair that came standard with a 50's Baja tele. I liked them a lot also, and the Broadcaster bridge had (to my ears anyway) twang to spare. Ended up sending that guitar to a nephew; as it turns out, I prefer vintage size frets over the higher, "stiffer" frets on the baja.

For my two cents, I use the bridge pickup for twang and the neck for the sweet and sparkle. Seems like if you left your nocaster bridge pickup in, you'd still have plenty of twang. If it ain't broke, no need to fix? Maybe you're just looking for a different way to match a neck pickup to your nocaster that can get you some "oomph" when using the both pickups.

Or how about the 4-way switch, where you can get both pickups in series or parallel? Lots of folks like that approach.

Cysquatch, mojmud and Teleterr like this.
  8. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Hi again Nocaster Mike! The problem is cash! I've already laid out significantly for the two sets I've tried, and I don't want to make a mistake this time round,especially since importing USA pickups to the UK involves an extra layout for taxes and postage (+22%). I wasn't sure that Ron Ellis is still in the business, but have heard great things about his pups, same about Don Mare too! We both know that chasing tele tone is a never ending quest, and entirely subjective as well. May be I should just make you an offer for your Josephina Twisteds if you still have them, and then save for the next venture. I have another Masterbuilt which for me has the perfect tone, with a 10.03 HW Customshop Broadcaster bridge, and HW Nocaster 51 neck with 7.3 output. But the trouble is I cant buy a Broadcaster with that output, the ones that come up seem to be about 7.9 in the BRIDGE ! The Bareknuckles i tried had similar out put, but were just way over the top for me. Maybe I should just sell on the Paul Waller 52 and start again!

9. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Hi Teleimetx, If only I could find a Broadcaster with a high out put! See comment to Nocaster Mike. I understand the Broadcaster pups from the Baja are not the same as the Custom Shop ones? Also being a fairly old fashioned soul I cant be bothered with pedals/boards or 4 way switches, I'd have to stop in the middle of a solo to work out which position I want to be in. Pathetic, I know!

10. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

Mmmmh I have heard of Cavalier pups, but will investigate, thanks.

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of the Fender promotional materials describe the Baja Broadcaster pickup as Custom Shop Broadcaster. However, I have seen discussions to the effect that the Baja Broadcaster is wound to the same specs as the Custom Shop version, but not made in the Custom Shop. Other than perhaps some markings on the bottom plate (and price?), not sure many could tell the difference.
    Doesn't sound like a Broadcaster bridge p/u is what you might want, anyway.

12. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a Custom Shop LTD Thinline which has a Nocaster in the bridge and a Twisted Tele in the neck. The guitar has a quartersawn rosewood neck.
    I play chord melody jazz and folk/rock rhythm on this guitar and like a thicker tone than typical. I have it strung with 12's with a wound G.
    Back to the pickups... the combination is GREAT for the kind of music I play. Again, for the music I typically play, the neck or middle position is where I find myself most of the time, rarely playing the bridge only.
    I also have a Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster which has the Nocaster pickups in both positions. It's strung with 10's. I get a VERY different tone out of this Tele.

CS Tele Thinline_003.jpg

13. VillainSean

VillainSean TDPRI Member

I prefer the Twisted teles, the Texas Specials have a very distinct sound that lends its self very well to rock.

14. Buckaroo

Buckaroo TDPRI Member

Buck says:

It is all very subjective. Having said that, I will say that I have had several iterations of these sets (Josefina hand wound Twisted Tele, machine wound Twisted Tele and also Texas Specials) in multiple guitars. I have also used the Don Mare "Stelly" neck pickup.

This is what I hear:

Texas...fatter and stronger (louder). To some ears they may seem a bit "off base" from a traditional Tele sound. SRV Tele sound is a simple way to describe it. Who needs a Tube Screamer with these pickups????

Twisted...
    Much more Tele like than the Texas but with a "very subtle" hint of Strat sound if you are listening for it. This is more evident in the neck pickup than the bridge pickup. If you are not a Strat player you may never notice this at all because it is very subtle indeed...you gotta be listening for the Strat sound to notice it.

Stelly...
    this Don Mare model sounds alot like the Twisted Tele. The main difference is I think Don Mare's Stelly takes the Strat sound even farther than the Twisted Tele. Some may think too far...some may love it forever. Either way it is a great sounding pickup.

I prefer the Josefina hand wound Twisted Tele set. It is a different wind spec than the machine wound set that Fender sells. The Josefina sounds different than the machine wound set and you can really hear the difference; especially in the Bridge.

For more details on this topic check out this thread of mine:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-custom-shop-twisted-tele-pickup-set.916223/

hotrodkid likes this.
  15. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

I have two teles with Nocaster bridge pickups with twisted teles in the neck. I can’t recommend that combo enough.

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Nocaster Thinline with the TT neck. I've never had TXS but heard them.

If you want a big clean neck sound like a stocker but less mud the TT wins, especially combined with its matching Nocaster neck - I understand there's different versions of these, two.

17. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

texas specials in my CS tele, have punch and you can still dial in twang.

18. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Just get a clean boost pedal in front and you will have ALL the OOOMP you may want, and use the HIGH input jack. Your amp is going to have to ' work' a little harder.
    I am using Fender Princeton '65 reissues, VOX AC15's and Swart AST. Works on all of them. My clean boost pedal is a tiny little KATANA set at about 2 O'CLOCK IMG_3768.JPG .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    hotrodkid and rigatele like this.
  19. jj69

jj69 Tele-Meister

How about a Mojo broadcaster bridge pickup from the UK?
    10k 43 awg wire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.