Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Twin Reverb at open jam night

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SomeVelvetMorning, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Twin Reverb is fine to take. It's a great amp, and it isn't too large. Many Mesa and Vox combos are similar size. If you were taking a Marshall half-stack, then we'd be having a different conversation.

Jim Dep likes this.

2. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    Tell them only one speaker is hooked up... Your amp is your amp. They shouldn't care.

3. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    When I choose an amp to bring to an open jam, I realize that many players rely on a distorted sound, and would not want to be in a small room where somebody was trying to get that out of a Silverface Twin. When I bring an amp of that type, the Rat is in the signal chain for those who have no "clean chops".

Flat6Driver likes this.

4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I’d have to say most backline setups I see At venues include a twin Reverb. Just offer to share I guess.....

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    If there's room, bring it. Just don't plan on being able to get it near it's sweet spot.

I go to jams fairly often. What irks me is dudes who want to bring their big ass pedalboard, plug it into the supplied backline and then spend 10 min tweaking pedal levels, etc. I have a big board. And a small one. But I've never brought either to any jam ever. Occasionally I'll bring an amp(usually not). I have brought a single boost pedal before. But the 12 stomp board? For the 5 songs you play? C'mon man!

BobbyZ likes this.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    When I read that, I immediately knew whose it was... :lol:

I wish that amp would just "go away". Every time I see it... blew the Twin, you say... Dang it! :lol:

7. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ

Charlie,

We lived in Cheshire county for years, Chesterfield and then Marlow, both just outside of Keene.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    The wifey is from Gilsum.
    You know the place.

9. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I can't imagine anyone having a problem if you keep the volume in line with everyone else.

The polite guy with the Twin is better than the guy with no map who wants to use someone else's.

Jay Jernigan likes this.

10. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    The only time it bothered us was when a guy showed up with a twin- and earplugs!

11. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    So now the Twin has become huge? Lol. To me its a medium sized amp. A big amp is double stack 100W 8x12. Or maybe an old SVT tube head on a single 8x12. Thats big. A Twin? No.

rebelwoclue, Jim Dep, Durtdog and 2 others like this.

12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    sure, one channel is loud and the other is "turn that damn thing down!":confused:

drlucky, Frontman and Ira7 like this.

13. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'd say you're fine - what you don't want to do is be nervous about it and be like "man I wish I had a princeton" just be proud of playing through one of the greatest amps ever. I hauled a bandmaster reverb around with a huge 212 vertical cabinet through my college years because it was my only amp....it was so big maybe that is what kept it from getting stolen.

14. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I believe the Twin Reverb has 4 inputs because they expected that 4 people would be playing through them. Yes, people used to do this. Hell, I've even seen the vocal mics plugged into one.

Jim Dep and t guitar floyd like this.

15. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel TDPRI Member

Times have changed. Before the Hot Rod Deluxe became a gigging guitarist's staple a Twin or Super Reverb were the amps to have. I thought my Silverface VR was a nice home/basement amp when I bought it in the mid eighties.

t guitar floyd and BobbyZ like this.

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I was thinking your loud amp, not that one. :)

bparnell57 likes this.

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Just stand it on its side.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I think my Twin is a great home amp, right now. And a coupla Supers. And a Deluxe.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hell?

I'm 60, and got a new SF 69 Twin for my Bar Mitzvah.

1969! Year of Woodstock!

That was my amp through the early 80s before I sold it (probably for weed), and the Twin was used by TONS of small bands for the vocal mikes.

Crap! We didn't buy and shlep a PA just for the vocalist! And in those days, bands didn't plug into PAs either! Your AMPS had to be loud enough for whatever size venue!

My God, do I feel old.

20. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    See my post above about the 69.

moosie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.