Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweedle Dee Mod

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by SacDAve, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I’m getting ready to redo one of my 5E3’s Just never sounded good. So someone had a post about a 5E3 Crema Wheat That kind of got my interest but not much matter of fact information on the amps mods. Today I was cruising through Rob’s site and the Tweedle Dee caught my eye. I pretty much have everything I need I think the biggest expense will be the GZ34. Original I wanted to put the Amp back to stock, then I asked myself why I have 3 stock ones now, so now the tweedled Dee looks like a good path. Has anyone done the TD and what did you think? Rob has this on his site at the end of the TD mod The downside to these mods is the amp becomes much less a tweed Deluxe andmuch more high strung

Much more high strung what’s that mean? I’m thinking less bottom end and I’m OK with that.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I haven't done it, but if I had three stock ones and one that didn't sound so good, I wouldn't hesitate. More filtering, higher voltages, tighter overall sound and breakup. I bet it'll be awesome.

King Fan likes this.
  3. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    yeah I think i’ll go forward with the Tweedle Dee. I have a minor surgery on the 14th so I will have to take it easy perfect time to get going . I’ll defiantly post the progress as I build, my soldering station is getting dusty so it’s more than ready .

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Dumble designed that mod. KWS uses one..

3:10 for amp dimed solo

Yeah, it's a far cry from Neil Young's 5E3, which sounds like it's going into diabetic ketoacidosis and having a seizure at the same time..

JuneauMike, D'tar and SacDAve like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I have a project amp build scheduled, and I think I will do this tweedle D thing in it.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  6. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    My 5e3 has a fender tone stack with mid control as well. Sounds much better IMO

ecoast likes this.
  7. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    @SacDAve , I thought you have done this already to one of your builds or maybe it was the Edge mods. Funny timing as I was just taking notes on the crema wheat yesterday. Maybe you can build a tweedle wheat!.

It would be pretty "swheat";) if you could record before and after the mods!

King Fan likes this.
  8. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    One I did the edge mod on I really like sounds great. (depending on Mood) The amp I'm redoing is one with all metal film capacitors just sounded horrible. then I did this Mod (pic) just don't care fore it. So now will try the Tweedle Dee. I plan using all carbon Film resistors for the most part. I'm also using SoZo's have them already Pic of amp now

Attached Files:

9. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Question#1: there’s a 2.2nf capacitor connects to pin 6 on V2 then to a 3.3M resistor back to pin7 V2. Any suggestion on what type of Cap to use and voltage rating? Looks like 600V going to be my choice (630V Polypropylene Antique electronics) Other than that suggestion on a GZ34 rectifier tube brand ? not looking for high dollar vintage trying order everything from Antique Electronic Supply. I think I have this right 2.2nf / .0022uf / 2200pf are the same?

Attached Files:

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    What is the Edge mod? Just the nickle tour would be fine, I don't need a lot of detail.

11. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    It's fen
    It's fender new version of the 5E3, Robs has the details on his site.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Then what that amp now is essentially is a BF Princeton with a mid tone adjustment, cathode biased output and no effects, right?

13. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
  14. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Answered in that thread.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.