Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweed Twin vs. Tweed Bassman Blues/Southern Rock

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homelife88, Feb 22, 2013.

Better Blues amp

Poll closed Mar 4, 2013.
  1. Fender 57 Twin RI

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Fender Bassman RI

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. wahscoot

wahscoot Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Just a question is the OP referring to the EC Twinolux or the Blues Deluxe? Or some other?

2. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

I have a Victoria 45410, will 4 Celestion Alnico Blue 12" speakers fit in my cabinet

3. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2012
    Midwest
    I have a Victoria 45410, too. The answer is no. He custom built that cab slightly oversized to fit the 12s.

4. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

Hmm I can see 4 Eminence 10" Red Fangs in my future

5. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    :UPDATE: I ended up buying a gently used Twin last night. I paid a little more that I was wanting to, but I still got a pretty good deal, I think. Now it's just the waiting game until it gets here. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    The Twin ri is too high and the Bassman reissue is PCB.

I'd pick the one I wanted and build it or have it built.

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    Congrats. I hope you like

8. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2011
    USA
    After reading this I decided to build a LP Twin for one
    of my best friends. He always asks to borrow mine and
    I know he will love the amp. He is teaching his daughter to
    play and she has some talent like pops. I have little time but I will
    get it done in time for his new home christening.

I ordered a chassis today to build a 5E8A Twin,
    with old stock yellow Astrons. I have Allen Bradley resistors
    Sprague Atoms, old stock push-on pre-amp sockets and shields,
    and Heyboer transformers, 1960 Concert-pull choke, Hoffman cloth wire,
    switchcraft jacks, and I'm going to build it like my original
    with the 1 Meg LIN VoL Pots. wowzer

So little time, so much to do.

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    :eek:

Dang, you guys are good! Can I be your friend too?

And OP, congrats on the Twin! You made the right choice. Enjoy....

10. fenderdfs

fenderdfs Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2011
    Wisconsin
    + 1 for the twin here. However, I'm completely biased. I've never played through a bassman but would love too. I found mine at a guitarcenter. I put the money down as soon as I saw it. It's been gigged hard but man does she sound fantastic. I agree the new prices on these are too high for my blood but the used prices seem very respectable. I picked up mine for $1400. I've seen them on ebay for close to the same.

I think you would have been happy either way. Congrats on the new amp. Pics when you get it would be nice.

11. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    All right, guys I have had my twin for a few days now, and all I can really say is WOW!!! And yet, that doesn't even come close to describing the tone... It's just a tone monster at any volume. I haven't really been able to crank it for very long as I just moved into an apartment, and I don't want to make anyone angry (yet), and I'm kind of afraid of knocking something off the wall :). It takes pedals well just as any good Fender amp should, although I'm not very happy with the way my Klon sounds through it at low volumes. Could that be because of the design of the Klon nurtures to amps on the verge of breakup? My Boss SD-1 does a great job of getting me where I want to be at manageable volumes, and I've also been toying with the idea of pulling one of the recto tubes and trying it out as well. All-in-all, I'm very pleased that I decided to spend the extra cash and spring for the twin.

12. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Well done! You will not be disappointed in the Twin. You might however need to experiment with OD pedals to use with it.

I got a TS9 and Crowther Hotcake when I had my Bassman and I could never really get them to sound as I wanted them to sound with the Twin. That's why I bought a Lovepedal Les Lius in order to get the cranked tweed tone at reasonable volumes - and it works very well.

I recently bought a reissue TS808 and that sounds better than the TS9 to my ears.

In the meantime, enjoy your amp!

13. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2011
    USA

I would not pull any tubes out the amp, the amp is designed for all the tubes to be used together. It would put extra strain on the single rectifier.

If you want earlier breakup in the amp install some 5751 tubes in V1 & V2, and it will be much better than just pulling the one rectifier.

What style of music do you like to play?

14. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    They had a 57 Twin RI at our local GC for about a month, I looked at it several times trying to decide, a Clark Piedmont (59 Bassman clone) came available and I snatched it that instant !
    The Twin was used and 1399, the clark was used and 1550 including shipping.
    To be fair the Clark had the three knob add on Reverb and attenuator installed.
    I have forever loved the sound of four ten inch speakers in an amp !
    I see my vote brought the poll to a dead heat tie this morning, kinda shows that they are pretty close, Most here would take either for their #1 I'm guessing.

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    The Jensen P10R reissues are horrible speakers, to my ears. Plasticy, shrill & stiff, never seem to break in.

Things get even more horrible at high volume

It seems there's a new version, in Fender amps at least, being the P10R-F...I hope they fixed the sound on these.

Do yourselves (& your wallet's) a favour, & try the webers sig10 alnico.

There's a youtube of a tweed bassman 5F6-A Marsh amp with these.

16. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    No

That's not true. It doesn't hurt anything.
    All you do is rebias and run a 5u4 or 5r4.
    You loose some headroom & get some compression.
    I run 12ay7's,KT66's,5r4.

JJ

Attached Files:

17. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2011
    USA

He was talking about pull n play, nothing about a re-bias.

Most of these guys don't own a meter or a bias meter tool.

His amp is all set-up to play, it's probably dialed-in perfect now,
    it's best for him to just play the amp and enjoy it
    instead of experimenting.

If you pull one rectifier tube and not have the proper equipment to
    re-tune the amp it's not a good idea.

Not everyone is an amp tech like yourself.

18. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    This is a really interesting thread, I wish it wasn't so old now. I've been thinking about this for a while now, I really like the high power twins but I don't really need 80 watts. The low power twin doesn't sound as good (to me) as the hp but the 5f6a Bassman is nearly identical except for being half the wattage. I know the chassis of the Bassman and lp twin are the same size so I'm thinking I'm going to build a 5f6a Bassman from a kit and mount it in a low power twin cabinet which would basically be the same as the CS BassBreakers they made and should sound like a half power 5f8a twin which would be the perfect amp to me. (Ok a Kendrick 5f6a 2x12 with real spring reverb would be the "perfect amp" for me but I can't afford to pay out $3,500.00 right now)

19. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Tele-Meister

May 10, 2003
    Rock Hill, SC
    I love Red Fangs, 10 or 12. Did you ever try it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.