Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweed Twin vs. Tweed Bassman Blues/Southern Rock

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homelife88, Feb 22, 2013.

Better Blues amp

Poll closed Mar 4, 2013.
  1. Fender 57 Twin RI

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Fender Bassman RI

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Hey guys, I know this is probably one of the biggest and most covered questions one any guitar forum, but I just want to get some opinions and facts for myself. A lot of the info I've read seems to be conflicting as far as clean headroom is concerned.

I'm in the market for my first "big" amp. I've had several smaller Fender SF and modern tube amps, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on my dream amp. I've been obsessed with tweed tone since I picked up a guitar, and I want to be able to pick up a new (to me) amp ASAP!

The band I play in does covers from the Stones, Clapton, Cream, The Allmans, as well as some modern country stuff. I don't use a ton of effects, but I want something that pairs well w/ what I have. My Pedaltrains signal is Crybaby, Xotic Comp, Boss SD-1, Klon KTR, Xotic EP Booster, Rotovibe, Boss DD-7. Most of the places I play I can mic the amp and volume is no biggie, but at practice levels, I need to play over a loud drummer, bass, and one other guitar and stay relatively clean.

Here are my questions:

I know that EC and Keef both play twins live, so what's the headroom like in the twin compared to the Bassman?

In the Bassman, do you lose a lot of bottom end with the 10s compared to 12s?

Since a lot of my music is very touch sensitive, which amp would respond better to my change in picking attack?

Any other points that anyone can add would be great!

Thanks for your help, guys!

2. Mahalo

Mahalo Former Member

Jul 3, 2005
    ubique
    I have a 57 TT and it hangs fine with a loud band. I've played Bassmans and they're great too but different. TT is barky, punchy, woody, lots of fun.

My advice re headroom: run your amp hot and use guitar volume to dial in dirt. Only took me about 25 years to work that out.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

3. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You really need to play them to see which you like better. Tweeds are great, and I think all do well for blues to classic rock. As far as headroom, I believe Keef actually plays a high powered tweed twin which has 80 watts, so that would be cleaner at louder levels than the Bassman or low powered twin you're asking about. I don't think bass should be much of a problem with the Bassman as it was originally intended to be a bass amp. Lots of people are also big fans of the Bandmaster which is 3x10, but a little lower wattage.

4. sacrificetravis

sacrificetravis Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    perryville, md
    In my experience you don't lose anything from going with 4x10s vs 2x12. I love both amps but I own a bassman. As far as touch sensitivity goes they both have it in spades. I run both volumes on my baseman at around 5-6 and use pick attack and volume knob on guitar to dial in a "clean" sound. But I like my clean with some hair.

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I had an older Bassman Ri for several years and loved it but as soon as I plugged into a 57 Twin RI I knew that I just had to have it - and believe me, I really didn't want to part with the extra cash if I didn't have to! I spent several days with both amps side by side trying to get the same tones out of the Bassman that I was getting from the Twin but it just wouldn't happen. They just had different sonic signatures and no amount of fiddling with the settings or adding pedals could get the Bassman to be a Twin!

There was something just that little bit more special about the Twin that won me over.

I think it might be the 12in speakers that give it a deeper richer tone than the Bassman with its 10's.

I often play the Twin at home at quite low volumes and it can still give out those slightly gritty tweed tones if I dig into the strings - even without any OD pedal to assist. And it will easily do clean (maybe not Blackface cleans but still clean) tones at higher volumes.

The Bassman can go clean and loud as well. Either amp will serve you well as they are both great.

You'll really have to try both amps side by side to decide for yourself but if you can afford it I'd seriously go for the 57 Twin.

6. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Thanks for the comments. I realize I really need to play them side by side to make a real decision, I just wanted to get some outside opinions from those with experience with them. I think I really want a twin, but I like the price of the BM a little better. I Just needed to justify spending the extra cash :)

7. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 2, 2007
    Four Corners USA
    Bassman and LPTT are quite a bit different animals, but to me they're about the same output. Can't see why either wouldn't be good to gig with, but if headroom is the key a high power Twin might be the gov'nor. If you look at the schematic it's basically a 5F6-A Bassman with 4 power tubes and 2x12" speakers.

8. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    That's the key for a really soulful attack. That's exactly why I want a higher wattage amp, dial it in with my volume and use one of my few pedals for a little extra dirt if needed. Some nights you just feel a little more gritty than others...

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2007
    Bluesland, Texas
    I had a couple of Bassbreakers, Bassman w/ 2- 12s in it.
    One of the best amps I ever heard or played through.

Preferred it to both the Twin and standard Bassman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2011
    USA
    BJ,

The Bassbreaker is nice, I have tried one before and it's classic.
    A real sleeper for modern amps, most people don't know about them.

This is the first time I have seen the Tweed installed backwards on a Fender
    Amp from the factory. The top piece is installed in the wrong direction, the rest of the amp is correct. Looking at an analog clock with the hands on 10 and 4 , this is the correct angle the Tweed should be installed. With the Hand on the 8 and 2 like the top of the Bassbreaker is backwards. They must have some new Rookies working at Fender.

I would say you can't go wrong with either amp, the Bassman is more popular and less expensive than the LPTT. I would say look for the 5F6A Bassman.

I really like the tone of my 4x12 Bassman 5F6A, the speakers are nice and broken-in now and it's my favorite amp to play. The Pro 5E5A is a close 2nd. for home studio playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

warrent likes this.

11. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Singapore
    Never fails to leave my jaw hanging...

That thing is a serious work of art!

12. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    I had to vote for the Bassman, since that is the one with which I am experienced, but must admit I've never played tyhrough a tweed Twin.

13. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

The "double-twin-bassman" :cool:

14. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    AKA the Backbreaker :twisted:

really, how heavy are they with 4x12" ?

15. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN

I've been looking at Bassbreakers for quite some time as well. They don't turn up very often.

16. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    My vote is for the Fender 57 Twin RI.

17. homelife88

homelife88 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Has anyone ever experimented with different speakers in the twin? I have always wondered what it would sound like to run one AlNiCo stock type speaker and one Greenback or similar ceramic mag.

18. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2011
    USA

Well you guys,
    I weighted the Maple Bassman 4x12 tonight and it's 82.60 lbs.
    or 37.46 Kg. It's about the weight of a Marshall slant 4x12 cab.

It's not heavy, it pretty much stays in the big music room and that's it.

I have a custom road case for it and wheel it on the base dolly.

19. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    Wow, these two amps are so completely different. Not to mentioned VASTLY different price points! While they're both tweed covered, that's about where the similarities end. The '57 Twin RI is a hand wired amp and comes with Weber designed speakers (built by Eminence). I believe they may also be using Mercury Magnetics transformers in it. At any rate, they're priced North of $2000.

The Bassman RI is a production line model. Used they can be had for around $800 in good condition. I own a Bassman LTD and I play a TON of Stones (I'm in a tribute band). The stock reissue Jensen speakers are TERRIBLE in this amp. The Jensens are decent in some amps, but they're just the wrong voice for this one. Turn them up and they sound harsh. Driven tone is not a pleasing one. I replaced my speakers with a pair of Weber 10A125's in the top and a pair of Weber 10F150's in the bottom. DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT! I get that powerful, crisp punch that Keith Richards is known for. Low end is excellent. The Bassmans are also biased very cold from the factory. I adjusted mine and it's also a big improvement in tone.

Anyway, these are two completely different animals. If price were no option, then I'd get the Twin just because it's very nice and will hold value better over time.

20. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    The older Bassman RI's had Eminence speakers in them and not the Jensens that are in the newer LTD's. The Eminence speakers are considered to be better for some reason.

I have to admit that the newer LTD's didn't sound as good to my ears when I compared them to my older RI but that could have been for any number of reasons - tubes, biasing, speakers, who knows.........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.