Tweed Champ vs. Blackface/Silverface Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Hey Printer 2. What amp do you have?

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Home built. I have somewhat of a electronic background. Starts in the middle of the page with the schematic, second one is the final. Ignore the other stuff. Just shows I have a scatterbrain mind.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/latest-ideas.406570/page-2

3. Whoa Tele

Thanks man. I will look it up but I don't think I will understand it as I'm tech challenged. I played a tone king gremlin the other day and liked the blackface side but the tweed side didn't have much clean headroom and I like tweed cleans. It was also bigger than i need. We live in a small house and I want a champ sized amp so I can leave it out all the time.

4. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, I've had both over the the years.

Hands-down winner was my SFVC that I installed a push-pull volume pot and some minor circuit mods to bypass the tone stack but still retain the trem circuit. Given the two are similar in basic circuitry beyond the tone stack and tremolo, I had the best of two worlds in one amp! You wouldn't believe how alive it got with the tone stack bypassed, and a tweed Champ with bias vary trem was heavenly!!

Now I 'm getting nostalgic and remorseful about selling it...

King Creole likes this.
  5. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

For me, Princeton, not Champ of any ilk. The 8" is just not happening for me. (I have one, love to diddle on it, but don't really want to play seriously on it.) All those great records with Champs are not being played or heard through a Champ -- they're recorded and mixed and played back via some other device.If we're talking live amp tones only, I'll take the Princeton.

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

As said the two circuits are pretty much the same but the tone control was taken out and the Blackface tonestack was dropped in front of the volume control. To make up for some of the loss of the tonestack the second stage cathode resistor was bypassed with a capacitor. I met the tone control components half way and rather than the tone control being 1M and the treble control being 250k I use a 500k pot. Then it was just adjusting the two capacitor values to get back to the BF curve. I tried to get down to two switch pairs but needed three because if you had the bass control down you could mess up the response of the Tweed side.

Would have been nice if you could use a push-pull switch on the bass control to change from one to the other.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Double yep.
    There's stuff you can do with those tiny amps if you mic them...mics love little speakers, it seems...but, otherwise, they always sound dinky to me.
    I love tweeds and have several, but I wouldn't bother with a Champ unless a real good deal fell on my...even a Princeton 5F2A runs the risk of sounding dinky.

8. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I have a silverface Vibro Champ that's a snarling little beast with the tone stack bypassed. And I love the tremolo. It's a great little amp. I also put an extension speaker jack on it so I can run it through a 2x12 or my '67 Bassman's 2x15.

9. Whoa Tele

That's part of the appeal of the Goodsell to me. It's got a ten inch speaker but a Champ sized cab.

10. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I play my '64 Vibro Champ at home more than my tweed Deluxe clone. Something about the tone, best sounding amp I've ever owned. Add the Flint reverb, and I'm in heaven. Great practice amp.

57481931296__28C7303D-00E5-4D2F-928F-2A433F06ACA8.JPG

11. Dutchman

Dutchman NEW MEMBER!

Well I have a mystery on my hands so I'm not sure. I have a Blackface Champ with an output transformer dated '66, a power transformer date of '67 on a '68 Silverface chassis (according to its stamp). I guess I like them both!

12. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

I used to have a 59 tweed champ about 25 years ago. I traded that for a set of Ping irons. Currently I own a 69 Champ and very happy with it. :D

13. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

It's a tough call. I can say that my 2 favorite amps - that is, two that I own - are an EC Vibro Champ and a Princeton Reverb RI. I play those most of the time. The Vibro Champ was the real surprise. I thought it would be a one-trick pony, and I suppose it is in some ways, but it has surprised me again and again. The hotter the tubes get, the better it sounds, and it has nuances that I hadn't suspected were there.

14. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

For use with pedals, black or silverface all day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.