Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweed cabinet build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dunehunter, Apr 19, 2018.

1. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister Double Platinum Supporter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    I've replied the wrong message. Oops.

2. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    T-nut. Yeah, that's what it's called. Missed that in your first post.

The reason I'm not using them is that the required baffle hole is pretty big--not a problem with, like, 1/2" plywood but with the quarter inch I'm using, more trouble. So...

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Also, take note that the coarse threads are reverse threads. So, as you tighten the nut, you will not loosen the threads buried in the baffle material.

I also agree that the Baltic Birch Plywood probably doesn't need glue (or wood hardener like I used) but, it was just a little bit of insurance that both @dunehunter and I kinda liked.

dunehunter likes this.
  4. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Maybe I did okay, but @jsnwhite619 wins this round for sure. The ones he cut in his Georgia Pine cabs look wonderful!

dunehunter and jsnwhite619 like this.
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! I'm still oiling and sanding this thing every few days. This was yesterday. The rascal is heavy though -- 15 pounds empty!

1531344557737.jpg

6. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    You are right!; those joints were perfect. If you can finish your cab without a fabric covering and have it look that nice, you've created something special.

jsnwhite619 and Axis29 like this.
  7. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    I love the "chevron" look at the corners with that strong grain giving way to a cool pattern...

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  8. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, been a while since I've been around and I thought I'd start catching folks up on what I've been doing: new puppy. :D

Seriously, my new hound has taken me away from the woodshop and I'm only able to steal away a few minutes at a time here and there to get things done. By the end of today I will have hopefully finished all my baffles--including painting--and will start on cab backs next.

I'll post some pics of the baffles and my progress later on today.

Axis29 likes this.
  9. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Some pix for you:

Finally completed the baffles (painted but not yet with grill cloth).

I started out filling all the various imperfections--in particular, the indentations left by the pneumatic stapler; here is the
    5F6-A baffle filled and sanded:

26 Baffle filled and sanded.jpg

Next, I masked off the threads for my speaker studs so that they didn't get coated with paint:

26 Baffle studs taped for painting.jpg
    Remember, I've basically made the studs permanent with a dab of super glue under each head on the front of the baffle.

Now, here comes the mixup.

I started out with a single can of flat black spray paint from Ace--simple stuff, everybody has seen it. Unfortunately, that can didn't go very far so I only ended up getting 3 of my baffles painted with it.

While things are improving with the new puppy, I hadn't been able to get away to Ace (about 30 minutes from my house). So the situation came up that I was going to be close to Home Depot this last Thursday so I thought, I'll just get my black spray paint there--two cans this time.

Well...

Turns out it's not straightforward getting Flat Black at Home Depot; the only stuff they had required using a primer first. So, I went that route...2 cans of primer, 2 cans of flat black.

Here's a comparison of the results. The baffle on the right just has the black spray paint while the one on the left has primer, sanded and then re-coated with the flat black paint:

26 Baffle side by side comparison.jpg
    Here's a close-up of the 5E3 baffle with just the flat black spray paint:

26 Baffle flat black spray paint only.jpg
    It's not bad, but the paint is uneven and doesn't give a uniform color over my fill-spots.

Here, is a close-up of the Twin baffle. I don't show the fill spots here but will tell you that I get really nice uniformity over the whole baffle. Looks and feels like factory-painted:

26 Baffle painted with primer and flat black.jpg

Was this too much effort for the baffles? Yeah, probably. I just decided that when I'm moldering in the grave, I didn't want anyone taking the amp apart and saying--"geez, this is shoddy work".

My paint job isn't great, but it's not work I'm ashamed of either;)

P.S., if I did it again, I'd certainly two-coat the flat black.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    stringsthings likes this.
  10. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So now, on to back panels and installation of all the assorted pieces of hardware (handle, feet, etc.); I want the screw holes all drilled prior to applying the tweed. I will open up my holes through the tweed with an awl or a gimlet so I don't get the tweed (or grill cloth, for that matter) all wound around a drill bit.

11. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    First, y comment on paint... My original baffle looks like they just sprayed black paint on it... I don't think ti was flat. i think it was just black. Like Rustoleum or maybe it was nitro(oh, now there's a debate we could get started! Is Nitro on your baffle gonna give you the toanz?). But, it looks like maybe it was gloss black, and certainly no primer. You can see all the grain and faults in the plywood they used.

I used flat black paint (from Home Depot, I'm sure) but mine didn't say anything about needing primer... I think I grabbed the cheapest flat black I could find (thinking a little like Leo!). When i was done I was thinking flat was the incorrect choice.

I was really afraid of snagging the tweed... having had a few carpets run on me whilst installing cable... But, with the shellac on it, I think it was nice and stiff and the drill bits just cut right through cleanly. I didn't have to drill a lotta holes, and I did sue the awl where I could. But, the one or two I forgot about and just ran screws in or a drill bit through, I had no problems whatsoever.

dunehunter likes this.
  12. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    LOL!

13. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    I certainly hadn't intended to use primer but sure liked the result. Looked all over for just simple Flat Black too! I was pretty sure the whole venture was overkill from what Fender did but, hey, what the hay.

And I'm pretty sure this will also give me mondo tone!:lol:

Axis29 likes this.
  14. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Any updates? Love this thread.

15. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    I've come to a momentary (almost 2 month) standstill while I deal 24/7 with my puppy. Hoping next week I can get back to work.
    Thanks for your comment!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  16. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, here is some stuff I got done over the last ... month? Sheesh! Time flies when you're raising a puppy!
    Basically, what I've done is to drill all my holes and install all the hardware. Didn't need to install but wanted to see how it looks, so there's that...

First, the feet.
    27 Feet attached.jpg

Then, the chassis machine screws...

27 Chassis installed.jpg

And finally, the handle... 27 Handle hardware installed.jpg
    So there it is. Next, I take all the hardware back off again (sigh) and get out my favorite tool: THE ROUTER! That statement requires a /sarc tag, for those that are still following. ;)

Chunkocaster, Urshurak776 and Axis29 like this.
  17. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, as most of you know (the two of you that might still be watching this thread ;)), I've been pretty preoccupied with other issues.

However...

Today, I found the time to partly work through an aspect that I'd been putting off: the back panels. As you know, other than the 5F1, the panels require tube cooling ports (beveled) on the top back panels and an access cut on the lower back panel.

After screwing around with a jig saw (best I've ever owned, but still...) I decided a reusable template was the way to go. So I started the process with the lower back panel access cutouts making them out of 3/4" MDF. This stuff is heavy, machines well and should last a long time.

Here is the template that I used for both the Bassman and Twin cabs:

28 Twin Bassman lower back panel template.jpg
    A few notes on this: 1) the older cabs Fender made used curved access panel corners while the later ones (my Dlx Reverb, for example) use straight line segments that angle down and provide the notch. I tend to like the curves so that's what I'm using here. 2) I'm killing two birds with one stone using this same template for both the 5F6A and the 5F8A. They're pretty close anyway, I'm sure. 3) I roughed out the curves with a jigsaw, then filed them down with a good quality rasp. I'm pretty pleased with the final outcome.

Here's the final cut--using a router and the template as my bearing guide--on, I think the Bassman bottom back panel:

28 Finished Twin bottom back panel.jpg
    Ended up making a nice smooth finish to both lower back panels.

Note the blue tape, stuck together in circles and used to attach my workpiece to the template. Once attached, the whole assembly was clamped to my bench where I took my bottom-guide bearing straight bit to it.

Cut it slick as a whistle.

But this doesn't mean I now love the router...:cool:

I've already made a similar template for the 5E3 cabs and will have the 5F10 template done by day's end. Next, on to the tube cooler cutouts--a template will be very necessary here as those holes will need to be beveled.

Stay tuned.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Axis29 likes this.
  18. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Hey @Axis29...you were going to move out to California. Did you ever get there or did you get drenched in the recent rains in the Carolinas? I know you were in Virginia but that still would've been awful close. Hope all is well with you.

19. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks brother! The move is planned for November... The wife says we'll be doing Thanksgiving there, with the kids and grandkids.

The remnants came through last night and caused a bunch of tornadoes a little south of us, in Richmond. My phone went off with tornado warnings last night as I sat practicing, downstairs. We saw a good bit of rain (which showed me a leak in the addition's roof), but other than that we were thankfully spared.

One of my kids headed down to North Carolina as part of Walmart's efforts to help... We haven't received any real reports as yet. But, I have friends down there who've seen a lot of water!

dunehunter likes this.
  20. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Glad you're safe, John! My brother is up in Maryland, just above the Virginia border and he says looks like they're going to get the tropical storm rain today. Stay dry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.