Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweed cabinet build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dunehunter, Apr 19, 2018.

1. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister Double Platinum Supporter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, here's what happened to me on the 5th. Puppy #3 Front.jpg
    She's an 11 1/2 mo. old English Springer Spaniel; bred for hunting. Pheasants--fair warning!

Needless to say, I have not been in my shop now for several days. :(:)

JustABluesGuy, magic smoke and Axis29 like this.
  2. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    And, no, I won't be using my cut-out disks as "frisbees" for her.

Axis29 likes this.
  3. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So while my new pup was in her crate, thought I'd take the opportunity to install speaker studs. Not much to show here, but this is that baffle that I had to redo after my mix up.
    26 Speaker screws installed.jpg

Speaker was placed on the studs just to see how it looked (I like it!) All my holes have been drilled and studs
    have all been screwed in place. My 5F1 baffle was made out of the thinner (like 1/32" less than the baltic plywood) Home Depot plywood and didn't hold up well to the drilling of my holes. So taking a page out of @Axis29 book (John, right?) I'm going to use the "Minwax wood hardener" on those screws. The rest will get a medium viscosity cyanoacrylate.

I went back and forth about whether to install the screws before or after painting but since I want a decent bond for the super glue, I'm installing the screws and THEN painting. I'll protect the threads on the backside from over-spray.

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Looks great Brian!

And yeah, it is John!

dunehunter likes this.
  5. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Thanks John!

Axis29 likes this.
  6. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, you didn't really think I was going to let a bad baffle stand just to save a few minutes, did you?

26 New 5F1 Baffle.jpg

The baffle on the right is the old one, the one on the left, is the replacement (with speaker studs installed). No amount of "product" was going to save the nasty stud holes on that original baffle. I don't know if this is clearly visible (I know it's there), but the upper right stud hole has broken out most of that plywood on the original baffle. I was kidding myself thinking I could make this work. So the baffle on the left is constructed like all the others: Baltic birch baffle with Home Depot birch stiffeners. That Home Depot plywood is okay for stuff like drawer bottoms (or stiffeners) where no screws are needed but its construction is simply 3 plys--two thin veneers of birch sandwiching a layer of very soft Balsam fir (?).

Axis29 likes this.
  7. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Now, I'll go back and hit each of the stud screws a squirt of medium viscosity super glue, sand, and prepare for paint.

8. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Provided the new puppy will let me...

Axis29 likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Beautiful, dunehunter! What a doll! (We had an event here on the weekend called 'pets in the park'. Hundreds of dogs and breeds, really a great experience. Oh, and six, very nervous, wide-eyed cats! :eek: )

This has been a wonderful thread. You and Axis have really taught me a lot, even if I have to enjoy the construction vicariously! It has been really enjoyable!

Attached Files:

dunehunter and Axis29 like this.
  10. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Cool! Glad you've been enjoying reading this as much as I think @Axis29 and I have had fun producing our respective blogs. It's been a gas so far.

I like the idea of nervous, wide-eyed cats LOL

Axis29 likes this.
  11. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    BTW, should have said she's an 11 1/2 WEEK old Springer Spaniel...she's still very much the puppy!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  12. symbiotic

symbiotic TDPRI Member

I'm actually curious about the speaker studs. I've never actually taken a speaker out of a cabinet & seen the studs - what holds them in place & resists turning when tightening the nuts? Are they really just glued? In my mind I imagine something like a T-nut on the speaker side, and thread locker. Is reality simpler than that?

dunehunter likes this.
  13. vince67

vince67 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    UK
    Your finger joints look better than mine.
    They don't sell dado blades in Europe, so I have to do like 3mm thin tooths.

dunehunter likes this.
  14. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So the speaker studs have a two-thread system; the 1/4" just beneath the phillips head has a coarse "wood" thread and the remaining stud has a machine or close thread (for the Keps nuts). You drive them into the plywood of the baffle (1/4") and the stud sticks out behind for mounting the speaker.

Does it actually "need" an adhesive? Probably not but I'm adding some extra insurance against the stud wiggling around with the vibration of the speaker and enlarging the hole in the plywood.

This is the mounting hardware that, I believe, Fender used originally; now, a lot of guys are opting for a different arrangement (I have the picture of the stud and associated hardware in my brain but can't think of the name off the top of my head). But you install a nut into the front of the baffle (with teeth that grab the plywood), then screw your speakers to the baffle with a machine screw/washer from the back that screws into that keeper nut.

15. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Well, thanks!
    They didn't turn out too bad; my only issue was tear-out which I just couldn't get to stop. I think it might have been a combination of the species of pine (primary) and possibly some runout on my tablesaw arbor (secondary). Just hard to keep the snipe to a minimum. Here, @Axis29 using the I-box did a much better job, I think with respect to tear-out.
    3mm (<1/8") is tough--pretty small. If you get them right, they'd be a super strong joint, though.

16. symbiotic

symbiotic TDPRI Member

A hanger bolt?

http://www.rockler.com/steel-hanger-bolts-steel-hanger-bolts

17. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So here's a little more detail in the response. Pics worth a thousand words, right?
    Here's the stud. Note that it has the description that I offered before.

26 Speaker stud.jpg

Here's the hole in the baffle front that it inserts into; I chamfered the hole slightly so the head will recess more flat to the baffle.

26 chamfered speaker stud hole.jpg

Here's the stud with the top and phillips head exposed (kind of...a little dark with that black screw against the light background).

26 Speaker stud installed with top quarter inch exposed.jpg

And adding a little super glue to the exposed wood thread:

26 Applying Medium Visc Super glue to wood thread.jpg
    I have pretty high confidence that I'll never have to rebuild these baffles; hence, the super glue "insurance".

Here's the nut-type I was trying to describe in a previous posting:

26 Alternative capture nut.jpg
    These tend to run a little big but a lot of guys seem to prefer this manner of attaching their speakers. Obviously, with this, you drill your hole in the baffle board the same size as the OD of the center threaded tube, insert, and pound home so that the "cleats" set.

18. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
  19. symbiotic

symbiotic TDPRI Member

Thanks for the patient explanation, Dunehunter. It's totally obvious now, though I've never seen that type of bolt/screw used for anything else before. Found them at AES now, too.

The nut you pictured is exactly what I meant by "T-nut" and they're also known as "blind nuts". That, with a regular machine bolt, is just what I imagined as an alternative to the studs.

Good luck with the final stages. Nice work!

20. dunehunter

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    You're welcome. I like AES and have used them alot; they've been prompt and shipping is mostly reasonable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.