Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweed cabinet build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dunehunter, Apr 19, 2018.

1. stringsthings

stringsthings TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Indiana US
    This is an excellent thread! I've just started to build my first amp: 5F1.
    Seeing how the cab goes together is super helpful!

dunehunter likes this.

2. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Thanks! I'm taking a short break while I wait for staples and somewhat cooler weather. Just a quick note to you, I made a mistake early on with the size of the fascia boards; somewhere around page 3, I think, I started over. Enjoy!

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Excellent work on that Bassman baffle Dunehunter!

One thing I would suggest... instead if going straight in with the router, grab a jig saw and cut out the bulk. Leaving about 1/4" to an 1/8" makes using the router safer and much more pleasant!

Funny how having some reference makes the whole project so much easier!

dunehunter likes this.

4. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA

5. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    But if I did that, I wouldn't have any wooden frisbees to throw to my new puppy! LOL.

Seriously, though, good idea and one I shall do in the future, along with these other router thoughts: 1) Get my router table set up--finally and 2) get a decent cordless laminate trimmer.

BTW, just bought myself a new jigsaw too. But haven't even had it out of the case yet (except for cursory inspection, of course)

6. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Shame on you! LOL

Seriously, much of your trepidation about the router may end up being alleviated by taking smaller bites! And, if you get good with the jigsaw, you will still have frisbees, just slightly smaller ones! LOL

dunehunter likes this.

7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    I've used my speaker cutouts as templates on log halves to layout bowl blanks for woodturning.

Axis29 and dunehunter like this.

8. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Must be a thousand other uses...

9. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, not sure why, exactly, but I seem to be obsessing a little bit with the back panels; I only have pictures to go on and this is one case where I don't think @Axis29 can help me out with the various measurements. I know they don't have to be perfect, but I'd like to preserve as close a "feel" as possible.

10. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    In the meantime, my staples showed up and, barring any weirdness, I should be able to post some pix of baffles before too long...

Axis29 likes this.

11. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, I had to measure existing pictures I printed out from the Internet and try to scale them appropriately... One thing to keep in mind, The guys at Fender seem to have picked nice, even or easily measured sizes (i.e. 7 1/2" or 5 1/2"). So, don't go crazy picking weird things like 5 13/64"! LOL

They also seem to have tried to cut a lot of things the same size, and not make things too complicated. I'd wager a lot of the smaller amp back panels are the same size, top to bottom, and the same with a bunch of the bigger amps. But, that's just a guess on my part. Aren't chassis sizes kinda consistent?

dunehunter likes this.

12. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So here's the path I've been going down.
    First, like you, I've been trying to get measurements off of various pictures. I have two, maybe three "knowns": the total height of the back opening, the width of the panel, and (possibly) the distance from the top of the top panel to the tube windows (the same as the width of the chassis which I am taking as 4 1/8".

But...

Parallax is a problem. No one takes pictures of their amps with the idea that it will be used for measurement :(. I have been squirreling around with numbers now for a couple of days--adjusting and adjusting again, ad nauseam.

And, as you suggested, I've also assumed that Fender used whole numbers (or at least reasonable fractional numbers like 7 1/2" or 8 1/4") rather than the weird 11/64"-type numbers.

And, lastly, like you said, it is likely that Fender used templates to make some of this stuff and it would be practical to make a Vibrolux panel just like a Deluxe panel just like a Harvard panel, etc. Cutouts for tube coolers would be the same size and just vary by width of the panel with the slack being taken up by the far edges (center line mirror image); I would think a single template would do the trick for most of their amps (except the big ones)

That's actually what got me started on this path--the idea of creating just a few templates and knocking these out on the router table. Can you believe it? I'm actually looking for more uses for the router now. :cool:

Perhaps I have a fever...LOL

Well, back to baffles, for now.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Axis29 likes this.

13. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Here's a question you CAN answer for me @Axis29 ... is the height of one of the old, original Fender chassis 4 1/8"? Like the ones you can get today?

14. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yup, my Twin's is 4 1/8" tall and the vent holes are 4 1/8" from the top of the back panel as well.

I was in a discussion with a bud of mine last night, who's had a few vintage tweeds... He was recalling that the top of the bottom panel has a bevel on it. So, now, I'll be doing some research too! Here, I thought I was done with the woodworking part of my cabinet build.

dunehunter likes this.

15. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, just came up from the shop. I have all but one baffle done with stiffeners all in place. Here is the process:

This is the baffle and stiffeners for one of my 5E3s. Note that the baffle screw holes are already in place.

26 5E3 Baffle and stiffener bundle.jpg

My first task is to test fit all the stiffener pieces again, just to make sure.

26 Test fit all 4 pieces.jpg

Then, using my new silicon glue tray (a recommendation from @Axis29 --they didn't have the one I wanted but they did have this one...) and cheapo roller that I bought a while back for just this purpose, I applied glue to one side of the stiffener in a uniform fashion.

26 Silicon Glue tray and roller.jpg

Here's the glue spread on one of the baffle stiffeners in a nice, uniform layer; this process wastes some glue but then, so do most gluing processes in the home shop. I like the uniformity of the application.

26 Thin layer of glue on stiffener.jpg
    Next, I put the freshly glued baffle stiffener in place and tack it down with a 1/2" crown x 3/8" staple. I follow this up down it's length with staples.

26 Base piece in place and held with staple.jpg
    I then follow up with the right side. Glue and staples, as before, then move on to each successive side.

26 first side glued and in place.jpg
    I had drilled all my baffle screw holes before and now they're covered with the stiffeners. So, I drill out the holes...

26 Drilling out the baffle holes.jpg
    then use one of the baffle screws as a mini-rasp to open up the holes. If I'd used a waste backing board behind the holes, I would have had a cleaner final hole...

26 Clearing baffle screw holes.jpg

And if you thought this process would be without hand tools, well...
    I had to trim up some extra length in the stiffeners and my block plane filled the bill perfectly.

26 Trimming up baffle_stiffener sides.jpg

And here, is the final baffle, ready for...

26 Finished baffle.jpg

Oh oh...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Axis29 likes this.

16. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    You may have spotted my problem, but then again, maybe not. It's not entirely obvious.

I've got the baffle board facing the wrong direction. That last picture shows how it would look from the front. It may work, but probably not--the speaker offset is on exactly the wrong side. Would it clear the power and output transformers not to mention the power tubes and rectifier? I doubt it.

So, oops. The good news is that when I tried to take it apart to redo it correctly, I found that the glue and staples hold those stiffeners like grim death. It's essentially permanent. Nice to know it all holds together well. The other good news is that this is the only case that this happened. All the rest went just fine and came out right.

I went ahead and put this mistake in to serve as a note of caution regarding mirror images/backs v. fronts, etc. It can go wrong with little notice until it's too late. The process is essentially a good one. Just mind your "p"s and "q"s.

I'll put this right before the day is out and be ready for speaker screws and baffle painting tomorrow.

Axis29 likes this.

17. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Had to wait to glue the replacement up; wanted to see how hardened glue in the new silicon tray cleaned up.
    Answer: Great. Now, I need to dump the old roller and get a silicone roller LOL.

So this morning, I glued and stapled the new baffle: here it is side by side with the mistake:
    26 corrected 5E3 baffle.jpg

mistake on the left, corrected on the right. On to speaker screws and painting!

Axis29 likes this.

18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    you know...
    if you made your own chassis and wired everything backward you could use that baffle mistake. Call it a left handed deluxe and you might have something valuable!!

Axis29 and dunehunter like this.

19. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    LOL. Thanks, I needed that!

20. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    But now that I think about it...

Axis29 and Preacher like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.