Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tweed Cabinet Build for Me Now

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Axis29, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    * Note - Sorry, forgot to add my note about what I should have done to the bottom panel....

The thing I learned about the back panels regards curves and round overs. Rounding over the curves makes stretching the tweed across it a heck of a lot easier. What I SHOULD have done was put a round over in the cutout area of the bottom pane, but left the flat, horizontal ears alone. I THINK this is the way Fender did it back in the day. Although, I still haven't found anyone with a back panel I can look at or get these details from.

Making another lower back panel is easy and quick though... So, if I find these details later, I'll just pop out a new one.

2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Your work, and the documenting of it, is amazing, Axis29! This thread has been wonderful and really eye-opening as to the quality of the work you do! And to read that you work with Gaye Adegbalola makes it even better (I'm a fan). Thanks for this thread!

telemnemonics and Axis29 like this.

3. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    That's very kind of you!

Playing with Gaye is a huge treat! It has been a serious learning experience (as has this thread! LOL)

telemnemonics likes this.

4. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    High-tech solutions are always my favorite LOL

Axis29 likes this.

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    It has become clear to me that I don’t visit the Shock Brothers forum nearly enough. I missed this awesome thread!

I am more than mildly amused to see Axis take a beat up old HPTT chassis that was butchered up and transformer it into one of the most desirable Fender amps in the world.

Congrats @Axis29 well done. Very well done. You own a ‘59 HPTT! Damn fine. I know you love how it sounds. Now it looks as great as it sounds!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    telemnemonics and Axis29 like this.

6. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Just reading through the thread now. Great stuff. Sorry if you're past this point, but re the discussion about how Fender routed the back panel tube cutouts, look at 2:35. Looks like a pin router? But you can see the cut, so I'm not sure what it is...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018

8. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yup, and it looks like the template has a lip all the way around which holds the panel in position. Makes perfect sense. Lucky for me, the one piece I didn't have to reproduce was the upper back panel with the vent holes.

I still am looking for an example or two of lower back panels... If anybody out there can show me if there's a round over on the cut out, or not, I'd appreciate it.

dunehunter likes this.

9. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    This video - and the others in the series - has some good pictures of an original cab. Looking at the one he restored, do you think it could be a large-radius cove bit? It's "rounded over" but it doesn't really look like a "round over" if that makes sense. To me, anyway.

10. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Well, I used my 1/2" round over bit and it came out perfect on the outside of the cabinet. I mean it looks 100% accurate!

I think the round overs on the vent holes are also 1/2". When I compared my bit tot he back panel I have, it was the same profile... Just sunk down in. The video that @moosie shared earlier shows them using a template and a pin router. This gives them the ability to use that same 1/2" round over profile... But, they don't have to worry about a bearing or bearing surface riding on that thin wood.

But, it looks like that lower back panel doesn't have a radius in the cut out area.... So, maybe I got lucky?

dunehunter and jsnwhite619 like this.

11. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Is that a template or just a frame to hold the panel for a better grip? I swear it looks like he's free handing that thing.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I think it's what I think of as an upside down pin router. Or 'overarm router'?

Bit is on top, stationary. Table raises up into the bit. The table has the pin. The template is the same size as the back panel, plus width of the lip. The panel is slapped into the template frame - no need to fix it with clamps or tape. The hole in the template is laid over the pin, and the table is raised into the bit. Is it some kind of shaper bit that both cuts and rounds over? Looks extremely efficient, whatever it is. If the roundover is done in this step, it makes sense that it's only rounded on the one side, and flat on the other. Which is what the ones I've seen seem to be.

Or am I missing something? Possibly a few things?

telemnemonics and jsnwhite619 like this.

13. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I think Moosie has it. The frame, or 'tray', is also a template with the holes the size of the vent holes.... They probably had a template for every cabinet size that needed vents. The template runs around the pin and the bit mirrors the action of the pin. Pretty cool actually. Makes me want to build a pin router! LOL

14. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    @dunehunter asked about my back panels... I guess I never posted a pic of them tweeded, shellacked and installed.

So, here y'all go:

[​IMG]

You can also see the new neo speakers I've installed... another 7+ pound savings on the amp! (and surprisingly good tone to boot!)

Anyway, I think that pretty much does it for me.... next cabinet will be for my Bassman Reissue, I think. I will drop one hint, though. I decided when I go to pick wood for that cabinet, I will purposely find not only the straight board, but the lightest one I can find in the stack as well. Gonna do everything I can to make that a super lightweight amp as well!

telemnemonics, moosie and schmee like this.

15. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    No. 2 and Radiata pine seem to be the lightest I've found. This Georiga pine I've found has a beautiful oil finish, but is heavy as a bag of hammers! That '59 cab is 7 1/2 - 8 pounds. The same sized cab I'm building with GA pine is 14 1/2 lbs without a baffle or rear panel!

telemnemonics likes this.

16. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    14 1/2 lbs? Ouch!

dunehunter and jsnwhite619 like this.

17. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I don't think it will be getting a 12" speaker!

Axis29 likes this.

18. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    So, I'm not sure why my notifications got turned off; there's lot's of good stuff here that I missed because I was NOT getting notifications. Go figure...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018 at 5:23 PM

19. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Yeah, I'm going to have to do these on my builds (the upper tube coolers); guess I'll have to get my router functional. I'll need all the help I can get stretching the tweed.

20. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Larkspur, CO
    Man oh man, John; that looks fantastic!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.