Tweed Blues DeVille 410 Reissue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JayFreddy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Can anyone tell more more about these?

There are a couple of demos on Youtube, but nothing too inspiring.

I plugged it in and was very happy with the clean channel and reverb, but the overdrive tones were grainy, in part due to the stock alnico speakers.

I've got a line on a used one for a fair price, but it's still not a Deluxe Reverb, so I'm kind of hoping you'll talk me out of it!

Curiously, it also has a 60th Anniversary medallion... Wasn't that back in 2006? What years were these made?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Blues-DeVille-410-Reissue-Guitar-Amp-1273888002764.gc
    [​IMG]

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

It is a lot louder than a DR. Those are LOUD amps.

3. JayFreddy

I used to own a HR Deville 410. That was a loud amp...

I liked how it sounded, but several guys I know who also had them kept having to bring theirs into the shop for repairs.

I never had any problems with mine, but I figured it was only a matter of time, so I sold mine off before it could quit on me.

From what I've seen, these Blues Deville RI amps have similar architecture to the HR Deville.

I don't really gig anymore, so it would spend most of it's time at my practice space.

I'm looking for reassurance that it's a good amp, or horror stories so I'll know to stay away!

4. robt57

I am no fan of the Hod Rod Series in total myself. I know folks use them and gig with them. The one I kept is a Tweed Classic 50 Peavey with a Blue and G12H30 and only two power tubes, 1968 Mullards. No Hot Rod amp I ever heard sounds like this C50. [and visa versa I guess] Seems like after 2002-4 all these PCB amps lost a lot of durability.
    But if you need a loud amp, and the pics look as if it has seen little use. If the price is good, how wrong can you go really?

But even a 112 Hot Rod Deluxe [20 less watts IIRC] a working friend in Nashville when I was there got rid of it as it just was to loud. I helped him swap out speaker after speaker trying to tame it. His looked like it had a few 100,000 mile compared to those pics.

The other thing is did you google the spec/weight? Tanks. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Tele-beeb and JayFreddy like this.
  5. JayFreddy

Great minds thinking alike... LOL

I also own a Tweed Classic 50 410. She needs fresh EL84's, I should probably get those taken care of instead of buying a new amp. I upgraded the reverb tank on the C50 a few years back as well. The stock tank is only 2 springs, a 3 spring tank will get you much closer to Fender territory.

On my HR Deville, I only used the clean channel, and for dirt used a Tubescreamer and a Dynacomp.

I greatly preferred the 410 Deville to the 212. I figure, if you're going with a 212, just get a Twin.

Thank you... You've talked me out of it! LOL ;)

6. robt57

Googling sez it weighs 50 lb. That's not bad at all! I guess those 10" 1028 Alnico being under 3 lbs each make for a decent weight. My Peavey C50 with the 212s is like 63 lb. I hate picking it up.

waymore and JayFreddy like this.
  7. robt57

How is your internal fan holding up. Mine still spins/cools but is noisy like it is telling me it will go bye bye bye at some point.

What speakers are in your 410?

8. JayFreddy

Replaced the fan once. So far so good.

My C50 has the Eminence Legends rebranded as "Blue Marvel", which used to be Peavey's OEM label for anything that wasn't manufactured in house. The 115 is also a rebranded ceramic Eminence.

They sound fine to me. I think the ceramic speakers get a bad rep compared to alnicos here on a Fender friendly forum, but for overdrive tones, the ceramic speakers can tame a lot of high end harshness from the amp.

9. robt57

Agree, but the alnicos sure do not sound worse and lighten the amp 6 lbs or more. But your back is probably younger than mine.

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. JayFreddy

My doctor has forbidden from from lifting anything over 25 lbs. I still do, but I don't carry that weight, I just lever it onto a dolly... And then usually suffer for it later. Another good reason not to get this amp! LOL

11. JayFreddy

Still curious, was the 60th Anniversary medallion put on everything Fender made in 2006? Or is this something else?

12. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I had one for a short time back in 2007. Somebody aged and lacquered it. Sounded harsh and stiff to me but man it looked like a vintage amp. Kind of wish I had back on looks alone. I agree with others that it was very loud!

JayFreddy likes this.
  13. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I know a bunch of people who were using those back in the mid 90s through mid 2000s.

Seems like everybody I know is using smaller amps now. But the Deville is a good amp for everything from blues to alternative rock.

I've got a 1X12 Blues Deluxe that I had modded for harp, so that it breaks up at lower volume and feeds back less.

RE-reading your post, it sounds like you think maybe you really want a Deluxe Reverb. If that's what you want, this ain't it. There is a "Custom" version of the Deluxe Reverb that has 2 channels, one supposedly sounds like the old Deluxe Reverbs, while the other one has more of a tweed sound.

I was looking for a Custom Princeton Reverb earlier this year. Never found one to try out. And eventually bought something else entirely.

Good luck.

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. iluvfender

iluvfender TDPRI Member

I had one, very heavy. I traded it for a Deluxe Limited Edition. Didn't care for the alnico blue speakers and it is a loud amp but couldn't get a natural breakup out of it.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree, if you want a Deluxe Reverb, find a DR. The DeVille ain't it and it ain't gonna sound like one, ever.

The Fender Hot Rod and Blues series have their own thing amongst the Fender tones. They are not quite tweed and nothing like brown or black/silverface circuits. They tend to be workhorses and have been very successful for Fender.

I don't really care for them... But, if it was the backline at a club I was playing, I wouldn't ***** either.

I briefly owned a Blues DeVille 410, one of the first ones. I picked it up on Craigslist for a song with issues, fixed it and made a few bucks. I played it a bit and had some fun with it... It was loud. Too loud for a any gigs I'm getting these days. And, it has an upper mid thing that gives me ear fatigue rather quickly. That reminds me, I have a bunch of Fender amp parts I need to go sell... Thanks! LOL

JayFreddy likes this.
  16. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

These are also brutally heavy, like more than a Twin or a Super Reverb IMO

17. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I had an original Blues Deville 4x10. I did age the tweed and laquer it. It looked great and sounded fantastic. But YES, it is loud!!! I wasn't gigging at the time I had it, so it wasn't very good for bedroom practice. And 50 lbs? no Way!!! It's sooooo much heavier than that! And you're right: It's NOT a DR! If you're looking for that sound, it will NEVER sound like a DR. If that's what you really want, you should just keep saving for it.

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I also owned one of the original 4X10 Blues Devilles back in the early 90's. My biggest issue with it was that the volume went from zero to ear shattering at about 2 on the dial. I had it for quite some time but when the cheap plastic input jack finally broke I traded it for a Twin. Don't know if they've corrected those issues on the newer ones. I would hope so.

19. robt57

I think Fender put that taper POT in on purpose for marketing. Wow, if it is that loud on 2-3....

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^I just wonder if they are still that way. I can't believe that after all the complaints about it that they didn't make a change.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.