tweed bassman ltd vs tweed bandmaster

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thunderbyrd, May 20, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

to those who have experience of these amps, is a tweed bandmaster a whole lot like a bassman, only smaller?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

First preamp stage is the same as it is on a lot of that era Fenders. After that, you get a different phase inverter and lower voltages in the power supply. The tone stack is physically different in the circuit as well. If you're cool with checking out schematics, compare the 5f6a bassman and 5e7 bandmaster to see.

They do sound similarish to me.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The Bandmaster tweed is 26 watts. The LTD is 50 watts. More low end on the LTD, headroom and pushes more air. Less low end and headroom on the BM. That said, a pushed BM is a great sound and actually more manageable. An LTD can blow your head off if required and is good for a large room. I like the LTD and have one. Think of a Super Reverb but less rounded sounding, a bit wrangley actually in the upper transients and you have the LTD. There are no bad amps, just the tone which inspires.

The BM is a bit fuller than a Deluxe and less rounded as well if that helps.

trouserpress, thunderbyrd and mad dog like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I have no first-hand experience with a 5f6-a Bassman, but I've listened to a good number of them. And of course I know what a Marshall sounds like. That said, I don't think of the 5f6-a and the 5e7 in the same terms at all. I'd have to review the circuits to make a direct comparison, but to my ears they are quite different. The 5e7 Bandmaster has an entirely different breakup/harmonic characteristic to me.

Here's a LP through a 59 Bassman

Here's a LP through a 57 Bandmaster reissue (LP starts at 0:38)

thunderbyrd and Axis29 like this.
  5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My bandmaster was a Clark Tyger. My bassman a handbuilt, very fine replica by Sterling. Both amps of the highest quality parts, tricked out with NOS tubes, using the same speakers (30 watt weber 10a125).

Not much the same. A lot less headroom on the Tyger, somewhat different overdrive sound. I liked the same power section much more with the 1x15 tweed pro setup. For some reason, the multi-10 inch thing did not convince me with the Tyger. But it sure does with the bassman.

The bassman clean is more solid, room filling. Very smooth overdrive too. Way more volume. After playing mine for years, I totally get why the bassman is considered one of the great tweed classic amps.

trouserpress and thunderbyrd like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Bassman is punchier and bigger with a different breakup, ime....harder edged. The Bandmaster, along with its stablemates the 5F4 Super and 5E5A Pro break up earlier and ‘sing’ with a smoother break up. the 5E8A low power Twin is much the same amp if you pull one of the rectifiers. One major difference between these amps and the bigger output Bassman is that they use a cathodyne phase inverter while the Bassman uses the long-tail pair PI.

trouserpress and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.