Tweed amp with firm(est) bass + rich breakup w/ rich depth/harmonics?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoscoeElegante, May 12, 2019.

1. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Bassman. You wont lose that much volume with a 20 watt option, and pushing the amp harder will increase flub potential.

IMO, the real answer would be a custom amp based on a tweed circuit. The tweeds are notoriously over coupled and under filtered, and lack grid stoppers. These all contribute to 'flub.'
    Increase mains and screen filtering on the power tubes. Reduce coupling cap, and cathode bypass cap values, to adjust the bass cutoff from ~3hz, to a more reasonable ~40hz. Add grid stopper resistors to the power tubes. This will give you tweed minus the flub. It's also essentially what Dumble did when tweaking the Tweedle Deluxe. Amp should also take pedals above unity gain a lot better.

King Fan, Wally and RoscoeElegante like this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think this one is a 5D5.
    It does what you're talking about.
    The 15 is way beamy for gigging un-mic'ed, though.
    Fender Pro.jpg

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm sort of stuck on 5E5A right now - 15" beamy or not. I stand in front of it 75% of the time while performing. I do lose it quickly when moving peripherally, but I still like the portability, the firm low end, the volume it gets to where it wants to be and I can jumper channels to boot. It's all I need for now, and probably forever as I'm taking less and less work every year. However - I'm still planning on making a big box Tremolux soon.

King Fan and RoscoeElegante like this.
  4. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Another vote for the Pro. I own a ´58. 28 watts, very managable although loud. Begins to distort pass 5 on the volume Knob. I have heard people saying that they are too « boomy » that the sound is not well spread around. I don’t know where these guys come from. I have played mine at outdoors festivals unmicked and it rocks!!!

5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

The 5E5A pro is a great choice. For lower wattage, my vote goes to the Lil Dawg Dlux. Mine is 1x15. Looks like a pro, but isn't. The Dlux has bigger xformers, can run 6L6. I much prefer 6v6. So this amp is allegedly 14 watts, but has the loud of higher wattage. With a Legend 151 ceramic speaker, stays solid on the low end. For low watt tweed with clarity, this is the best I've heard.

6. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Swart STR or AST

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.