Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Twanger Backing Track Challenge Bonus Track - 7/8 Fusion

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by estreet, Sep 3, 2018.

1. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Here's a track I created today for my own purposes. I find it quite hard to phrase and flow in compound time signatures, so here's a 7/8 track to practice that. It just changes from G minor to A minor and back again so changing key is necessary. I tend to end up with a very 8th note feel when I solo in 7/8 or 5/4 so I'm interested to hear how anyone else who feels like taking it on approaches it (I'm thinking mainly of you @alainvey as you seem to have your Fusion head on at the moment) It's based loosely on an old Soft Machine track I half remember from decades ago and although I'm not a huge fan of such music, time signatures like this do creep into the mainstream now and then (Pink Floyd's 'Money' (although it changes to 4/4 for the solo) and Foo Fighters 'Times Like These' in part) so it's interesting to look at.

Mellencaster likes this.

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Well, well, a real challenge, isn´t it? The only downside is it didn´t come during the weekend where I have time enough :).

3. knh555

knh555 TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    A quick before-work noodle at this one. Noodled for a few minutes before hitting record to get a feel for it but do think this could be a fun exercise to explore arranging the lead and could bear fruit.

If people enjoy this one, I have a backing in 5/4 I did that I'm happy to share after this thread has played out.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

4. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

5. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Well, I'm mighty glad I don't have to play like that all the time :) Interesting exercise though...

6. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    I'm probably going to be too busy to do a Backing Track today ... If someone else has one then that's great - if not, Ill try and do something over the weekend.

7. knh555

knh555 TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts

I'm happy to pull one of mine out, but the Strat-Talk guys have already done it about a year-and-a-half ago. I put it here and if enough people say yes, I'll post. If someone else has something else they'd prefer to post, I'm game.

This one's in 5/4 btw.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

8. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I still have interested doing this one , might try tonight .

9. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Are you interested in this one?

10. MrClint

MrClint TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    That was interesting! Decided to throw in a bunch of stuff here. Went with C mixolydian as well as some A & G pentatonic. Then I started dialing up some amps in Garageband and kind of liked the weird way that the "Crusher" experimental amp broke up and cutoff notes in spots, thus the name of the track:

Mellencaster, udoering and knh555 like this.

11. knh555

knh555 TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I assume you mean without the guitar? It's pretty damn cool as is!

12. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I guess you've made a point .I must be still in husband listening mode :)

knh555 likes this.

13. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Here is my attempt on this. As I had little time (or energy after finishing work) this week, I dealt with it yesterday. I am not very happy with the outcome, but it is as it is.

Mellencaster and estreet like this.

14. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    Thanks for this, @estreet! I'm not that well-practiced with 7s, to be honest, but I spent a little while practising with your track :)

I think it's very difficult not to match the drums when they are as emphatic as they are here. Perhaps a more 'disguised' beat would work for a verse in this kind of track?

I'm not especially good at analysing timing and rhythm, so I don't really count the 7 so much as get a feel for the groove and then become enslaved by it :)

The two breaks I did not take the time to even work out the chord and just played an unpleasant Maj7#5 off the third of the G chord.

I played a bit more after this and started to enjoy using A mixolydian over the A chord, but did not produce a listenable take.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.