Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Twanger Backing Track Challenge 163 - Triplets Jam

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by bgmacaw, Oct 12, 2018.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I thought I'd take a shot at creating a backing track this week. Hope that's OK, don't want to step on any toes...

This one is a little bit of slow blues in 9/8 time (ie 3/4 with triplets).

2. montemerrick

montemerrick Tele-Meister

nice I'd Rather Go Blind feel...

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice track! I agree with Monty

4. montemerrick

still haven't got my recording rig out of the bag yet... so still just me an acoustic and my phone... kind of lame i know... nice backer, though!

NWinther, Mellencaster, JCL50 and 4 others like this.
  5. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    One man's "Rather Go Blind" is another man's "Tennessee Whiskey" I suppose. :)

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Blind Whiskey?

They are pretty close.

MrClint likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Here's my take. Once again, "Mossy" (Mosrite JR style kit build) on the neck mini-humbucker. This time I used my Tom's Line G-Fuzz and 90's DOD 250 Overdrive along with my SansAmp and Mosky Spring Reverb.

NWinther, Mellencaster, JCL50 and 3 others like this.
  8. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    My '66 Tele & Strymon Lex. I cheated and looped the G major out of the sequence ....

NWinther, Mellencaster, JCL50 and 4 others like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Good take. When I was putting the track together I did it with and without that G. I decided to leave the Bm/G in since that should help differentiate it, algorithmically speaking, from similar songs mentioned in this thread.

10. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    @bgmacaw By the way, thanks for making and posting the track! It can be hard to find something that's a bit different and that was a good call. I often do them but I've had a busy couple of weeks. I'm happy to do one for next week unless someone has something they are keen to post.

11. CNG232

CNG232 TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Massachusetts
    @bgmacaw great post. I loved playing in 3/4 for a change. Wonderful opportunity to steal a little Chris Stapleton mojo. This is a PRS Swanmp Ash Special. Big fat neck but wonderful tone. The THR10C I am using is going south though. @estreet nice job. Rockin take!

12. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @bgmacaw : thank you for the backing track. Here is my version:

13. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @montemerrick : some nice lines, but some notes didn´t seem to fit very well. By the way, I like how you pluck that guitar in a sensitive way!
    @bgmacaw : guitar sounds like a voice, nice!
    @estreet: lovely sound and playing!
    @CNG232 : fat and warm guitar tone. Must have been a mellow bourbon. Or is it the track that induces little melancholic mood?

montemerrick likes this.
  14. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    OK, I got a few "squealies" in there, hard to avoid them with the Big Hair Harmonics amp sim in Garageband. I've been doing mellow stuff lately, wanted a little bit of grime for a change:

Looking forward to checking out what everyone else came up with.

NWinther, JCL50, Mellencaster and 3 others like this.
  15. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    @montemerrick, had to listen a few times to try and pick up what you were dealing. Then it dawned on me that I can’t tell if you’re having fun or not. Dig the idea of blazing your own trail musically. I too noted some sensitivity in your play as well.

@bgmacaw, thanks for the nice BT! Your take was some pentatonic joy and goodness there. Makes me feel good about things and stuff. Very good listen.

@estreet, I made roadkill outta that G, drove right over it like an ant hill. Great playing as usual from you.

@CNG232, nice! Took me back to when folks wore dead pheasant plumage hanging from their hats. Do they still do that? Prolly. Anyway, that was a good listen.

@udoering , killer stuff right there. You really bring it every time out. That was a good time listen:
    [​IMG]

16. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    Here's mine. 4 guitars used on this one, none of them where armed during the recording.

17. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    @montemerrick some good things.

@bgmacaw Thanks for the track. nice.

@estreet solid playing. I prefer the parts with the leslie set fast. If I want to be picky, Maybe with a little less or a smoother drive, I would have prefered.

@CNG232 sounds ok

@udoering awesome take. nice playing throughout, your signature double stops and "mandolin"picking suit the track perfectly. The sound of the guitar in the 2nd half is killer.

@MrClint interesting sound. That gives your take a little ZZTop-Rough Boy vibe.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    MrClint likes this.
  18. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @JCL50 : very good track! The slide guitar, the creative building up of melodies - chapeau! You always use good (i.e. I like it) guitar sounds. Thank you for your comment; I used the Albert Lee MP90 for this; I really love that guitar, it sings. Amp is Express 50, blues mode, in the second half with a little Blues driver.

@MrClint : your guitar sound as well as the playing style made the track sound a little less "sweet", which I really like. Nice track! Again, thank you for your very positive comment.

19. montemerrick

well not to hog space but your comments above - which i appreciate! - were a nudge to revisit what id done... with that in my mind this time i actually took the time to play along with it one or twice before hitting record.... i think that helped... not that it makes this good.

NWinther, JCL50, CNG232 and 1 other person like this.
  20. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Please, stop to excuse yourself because of your playing abilities! We all started once to learn, and did not stop to learn until now! Yes, this version is better than the first one, and I am glad that you tried it again. If I may, I would like to give you an advice (hope it is helpful):

- first step: play along the bt to find out which chords are used
    - second step: try to find out which scale(s) can be used to play along
    - third step: try to find something like a theme, a hook line etc.; something special. This is not easy. Look also if you can use double stops, arpeggios, octaves, bends, palm muting, pinched harmonics. When you have found a general direction, play it once or twice
    - last step: hit record button

JCL50, bgmacaw and Mellencaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.