Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Twanger Backing Track Challenge 159 Surf!

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by estreet, Sep 14, 2018.

1. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Original backing track for TDPRI members. Get that Jaguar out from under the bed - set the reverb on stun. Very generic backing in Am.
    chords are Am/G/F/G then it changes to F/G/C/Am (x3) F/E

beagle, NWinther, navigate40 and 7 others like this.
  2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
  3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Oh my! I don't think I've ever done a surf track! It should be fun and thanks Carl.

4. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I guess I'm first . The picture represents my thoughts on doing this one.:)

CNG232, NWinther, JCL50 and 6 others like this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
  6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    This is one genre I've never really explored. I do have a Surf Green Strat though.

7. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    Love me some surf music! Thanks for sharing another awesome backing track.

I dedicate my track to my late Father-in-law who was like a real Father to me and who we lost too soon. The guy did things the right way, worked his tail off in the military and for the state of California, and retired in his early 50's. He then moved to Hawaii and lived the rest of his life in a condo 60 feet from the surf.

8. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    If I ever played surf music, then it was here. This time I used the Mesa Express again, clean mode.

9. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @Mellencaster : lovely sound, nice melodic playing with a hint of blues. Sounds like you play this kind of music every day. No wonder, living at the seaside ;)!

@fendrguitplayr : beautiful clean sound, playing suites the track well!

@Mjark : the Strat seems to know what color it is and finds it´s way through the track very well. Skilled use of vibrato lever!

@MrClint : Alas, your guitar is a little too much in the background; it deserves to get more prominent. I liked your words about your father-in-law.

fendrguitplayr and Mellencaster like this.
  10. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    Here's mine. with my 1990 Strat plus.

11. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    @estreet thanks once again for the backing track.

@Mellencaster nice surf playing, good sound. A nice one.

@fendrguitplayr nice sound with the good sounding reverb.

@Mjark nice guitar, nice sound, nice playing

@MrClint cool playing, i like the stereo effect with the two guitars playing in unisson or different parts at other times.

@udoering that sounds good.

12. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    I learn a lot just listening to you guys. Thanks for the likes and for sharing your performances!

@estreet your backing tracks make my week. I appreciate you taking the time to post these.

@Mellencaster nice snappy playing and excellent feel for the surf vibe. Truly solid ending.

@fendrguitplayr cool tone, reverb, sustain and some nice riffs in there too.

@Mjark reverb off the charts, and great phrasing.

@udoering you had a sort of surfy Spanish flare to your tone and phrasing. Really unique. Totally dug it. I played two tracks on mine, each panned hard left or right — so if you aren’t getting both channels, the sound would be very faint. I don’t know how to get my tracks as loud as yours without pegging to red in my DAW. I have to turn the volume down on your clips compared everyone else. You are truly the master of the mix.

@JCL50 nice job! I can see Frankie and Annette twisting on the sand to that track.

13. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Ehehe...not sure what I did...but smeared away it is ;) But it was good fun! And you can hear my wife at the end....can't you play tommorow?? :D

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Here's mine. I went with 3 different sounds.

The first part, about 45 seconds, is some open Am slide (Gm capoed 2nd fret) on my STL-50's neck P90 along with my Ammoon OptiComp, Tech21 Sansamp GT2 and Mosky Spring Reverb. I tried to get something to work on my C6 tuned lap steel but I couldn't get my playing where I wanted it.

The second part is my "Mossy" Fretwire kit guitar on the bridge Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup. The pedals here are a Tomsline G-Fuzz, Tech21 Sansamp GT2 and Mosky Spring Reverb.

The third and final part is also the "Mossy", this time on the stock neck mini-humbucker. The effects are a Mosky Golden Horse, Tech21 Sansamp GT2, Rowin Trelicopter Tremolo and the Mosky Spring reverb.

15. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    @fendrguitplayr Some really sweet lines and lovely clean tone with a nice reverb

@Mjark That's some cool drippy reverb going on there ,that track sounds like something that could be in your wheel house especially the use of the tremolo .Nicely done . I was at the music store today and they had a Fender surf green classic 60s Strat like yours ,very impressive in person and a sweet looking guitar.
    @MrClint Very nice story about your father in law .Classic surf tone , both guitars supported each well and nice surfy lines too.Nice!
    @udoering Lovely tone Ullrich. Nicely played all through especially when the second jumped in and a latin flare indeed . Very good!

@JCL50 Very nice surfy tone . I think you've capture the 60s essence on this one .Nicely played.

@NWinther Sounds so modern but still with a sweet surf vibe . Well played take Niels sounds very good. Good luck with the Mrs ;)

@bgmacaw Very nice clean tone bg . Very cool with the sllde and mix of guitar takes .Nicely done.

fendrguitplayr, NWinther and udoering like this.
  16. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @JCL50 : a good track indeed. I dig that you composed your theme and the change of sounds.

@NWinther : very nice, Niels! Not the playing style and sound to be exspected, but a typical "NWinther".

@bgmacaw : like Mike said!

NWinther likes this.
  17. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    @NWinther the reverb and tremolo arm use are here. Imhp, your playing is a little too complicated to really sound surf, at the same time, you keep your playing style and sound so why not?

@bgmacaw Nice tone. Cool playing. The slide show is a good idea I think I'm going to copy.

Just a question, i've been playing a little with my video software and I think I'll also switch to Youtube for the future twanger challenges. Here's a little test (same audio). your thoughts?

fendrguitplayr and Mellencaster like this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    @Mellencaster Very nice playing with a cool bite to your tone.
    @Mjark Another cool take with some creative lines and nice tone.
    @MrClint Both guitar tracks worked well for this surf jam.
    @udoering Nice rip from the get go with great tone.
    @bgmacaw Lots going on here, very creative.
    @JCL50 Nice playing and tone.

On a side note, two of the jammers from Massachusetts lived in an area where the massive gas explosions
    were last Friday and sending positive vibes out that they are okay. (Merrimack Valley)

Mellencaster likes this.
  19. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    To me there seem to be no substantial differences in sound; if you want to use Youtube instead, then go for it.

JCL50 likes this.
  20. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Devastating! My thoughts with the community.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.