Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Twanger Backing Track Challenge 158

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I'll post this one just to get things started :)

NWinther, CNG232, bgmacaw and 5 others like this.
  2. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    Here's mine. No amp used on this one, just 2 Bias fx presets. It's a bit tricky to play on this track o_O, I don't know exactly what I've done here, so free wrong notes included:oops:.

bgmacaw, NWinther, tvvoodoo and 4 others like this.
  3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah! You did well though. I like it.

4. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    No idea beyond the opening phrase. I faded out early it wasn't worthy, not that what remains is either.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Here's mine. I broke out my Danelectro Baritone '63 for this track. I stumbled around a bit and lost my way in places since this kind of song isn't something I do often. I also couldn't get anything to really work over the 25 second intro so I just let it run through it before I started.

6. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Cool! I'd love to have a Baritone guitar.

7. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
  8. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Our young grand children are staying over and finally a sleep. It was my only chance to record late this evening .

I forgot about YouTube

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    awasson, bgmacaw, NWinther and 7 others like this.
  9. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    @Mjark Nice tone. Good playing and you leave space to breath, I like that.

@bgmacaw nice guitar, the sound is too clean to my taste

@knh555 nice range of tones (except the one with flanger, personal taste), solid playing and following the backing track very well. a little funny remark, the part between 2:45 - 3:00 or so reminded me of the airwolf series theme :).

@Mellencaster I love your tone on chord playing. Nice bluesy playing. And the delay setting, which I would consider too present in most cases, suits the track very well.

knh555 and Mellencaster like this.
  10. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    This is my effort. It´s a one shot with one overdub. Not free from warts, but I like it.

NWinther, JCL50, tooloud and 3 others like this.
  11. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @JCL50 : lovely disharmonic opening; guitar sound is not to my personal taste, but fits well to the track. Nice lines played, I think your scale choice serves the spirit of the track very well.
    @Mjark : I like your opening riff and what you play afterwards; indeed, a very nice melody with hints of jazz and fusion. Really good, man!
    @bgmacaw : well, I like the guitar sound and what you played. The chord progression on this is crazy. I think, you managed to fing a good way through it.
    @knh555 : great opening, lets me think of some King Crimson songs. Love 1:04ff!! Your additional rythm guitar brings in a jump in energy / aggressiveness. Lovely riffs from 2:39; good work!
    @Mellencaster : a beautiful dark atmoshere; could be the sountrack of "The Strain". Love it!

knh555 and Mellencaster like this.
  12. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    All did well on this one and not easily played track to do.

@JCL50 The opener was a challenge but the disharmonic lines fits nicely . Your tone was fine but it lacking some of your usual creamy sound . Nice lines played and am I hearing octaves but anyways it sounds sweet.I also liked the tension build up.
    @Mjark Nice thick tone ,I would say it's an LP but I'm sure I could easily be wrong in assuming by your picture.Your playing always milks those lovely notes for a sweet melody .Very tastefully played Mark.
    @bgmacaw I always enjoy clean tones with a soft touch and you've managed that well.Ethereal vibe and floaty lines is quite nice.
    @knh555 The opener was very sweet. The rhythm playing added intensity with the lead work,nice mixture of both .The lines played on the modulation section fit so nicely .Nice!
    @udoering Another very nice opener and with the chorus effect ( I think ) added a sweet sonic tone . .Lovely lines on the modulation sections and well played.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    knh555 likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Since you said that, I decided to do another one that's a little different with more overdrive along with a little flanger fun plus some vintage sci-fi art work. Also got to work in the infamous Mosky Golden Horse overdrive.

NWinther, CNG232, JCL50 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Good use of double stops moving with the changes.

15. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I like it, you had a little more delay than I did but it sits well in this instance. Love the big chords to start.

Mellencaster likes this.
  16. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Me too! Nice open lines throughout.

17. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Great idea over the introduction.

18. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Nope, Telecaster!

19. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Ha! I should've known better .What brand of pickups are you using in your tele , Mark ?

20. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    @udoering very well played. nice intro. There is something that bothers me a little in your sound, a sort of very fast echo or a short slapback. but still a very good track.

@bgmacaw
    I much prefer this one, the intro is really cool, the sound is bold and suits the backing track much better imho, the retro sci-fi slide show is fun. so in a word, why I prefer this one, the answer is... 42 ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    bgmacaw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.