TV is my friend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, May 1, 2019.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

This seems like an easily debatable claim, that "books contain more information than their video representations." Books contain no audio information, no images, no acting, no lighting, no performing... how are you measuring "information" - just words? There are more words in Frank Herbert's Dune than in David Lynch's Dune. There are more words in Carl Sagan's book Pale Blue Dot than there are in Sagan's TV series "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage." Does one contain more information than the other? I would think they are apples and oranges.

I mean think of the reverse - would you really prefer to read a book version of Casablanca if one were available?

2. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I haven't watched terrestrial TV in many a year nor have I watched cable TV in many a year either, The TIVO cable box from that nice chap Sir Richard Branson's company 'Virgin Media' is still unboxed from 4 years ago:eek: We have a media bundle, land line, TV, Broadand package as it was cheaper than just a broadband/landline package o_O

I do watch quite a few youtube videos that I'm interested in but overall I haven't a clue about what's on TV these days.:)

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

You make assumptions that I don’t find all that credible.
    But this isn’t the place to deal with this impasse, and anymore of your condescension is likely to get me banned.
    You can find someone else to pedal your pseudo intellectual BS to.
    I think this is why they make they ignore button.

Bassman8 likes this.
  4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

screenplays are made by cutting whole parts out of books. the Novella, which is a short form novel is the favored basis for a screenplay, because less shortening of the material is needed to transform it into a script. this alone should allow one to figure out that a movie doesn't contain more information than the material it is constructed from.

obviously we have to compare apples to apples.
    lets work with a well known example.

Gone With the wind, is a 3hrs and 58 mins long movie, the script was 183 pages.

Gone With The Wind, the novel was 1037 pages. just by the seat of your pants, which do you think would have more information in it?

scripts are usually double spaced and centered with wide margins for notes so 183 pages of script, if typed as a novel in single spacing with standard margins would probably be 110 pages at best.

that of course would depend on the quality of the writing. most books are better than the movies, but not always so.

first off, there are few things more powerful than "just words".
    Words start wars and marriages, romances and fights, they propel men to great and nefarious deeds, they describe our world and allow us to communicate on this very website. 26 letters that we arrange into a veritable mulititude of words, which excite, confuse, induce laughter and fits of rage. its all just words....

2nd the books contain all the audio,images, lighting, acting and performing, its merely conjured by your imagination and you can muster any actor you like dead or alive to be cast in the role as you imagine it.

there is no magic, the screenwriter doesn't make it up, its there in the words he read and transformed into a script.

a book will make you use your mind, a television show will not,
    a book is an active pursuit, a television show is a passive pursuit.

even if all the information content were equal, I would still prefer the book to the tv, because it engages my vision, rather than asking me to watch someone else's vision.

your mileage may vary...

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Ok, so we’re not really friends. Acquaintances really. Usually a friendly nod in passing. That’s all.

SolidSteak likes this.
  6. SolidSteak

Oh, I see, 1037 pages > 183 pages, so obviously the book contains more information than the film. That makes sense, if you are of the opinion that only words contain information, and the amount of information is what is most important. To that I say ;) :D

boredguy6060 likes this.
  7. SolidSteak

Speaking of TV, I just realized season 2 of Cobra Kai is available on Youtube, which you can sign up for an watch with a 1-month free trial. You can watch Season 2 Episode 1 in its entirety without signing up (that's how they GET you!)

I highly recommend this even just for the hair metal soundtrack alone.

8. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I'm with you on that.

Just finished Breaking Bad and am on to Better Call Saul. Longmire was another excellent show. Always seem to find something when I'm in a rut and need something to take my mind off things. Love it.

9. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

What this world needs is more Jonny Quest!

uriah1 likes this.
  10. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

For those that watch TV, The Rolling Stones documentary "Crossfire Hurricane" is starting on the AXS tv channel right now.

Edit: and Followed by "Havana Moon".

Last edited: May 4, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.