Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Turn Signal Socket Wiring

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I've been replacing all of the lenses and lights on a '93 F-150 that a bought a over six months ago, headlights, corners, turn signals, tails ... everything. It was in bad shape and I wanted to be able to drive it at night, safely above all, but also without getting pulled over and harassed.

Up front, I even replaced the sockets for all of the bulbs. The turn signals are a 3157 dual filament bulb with a S547 socket. For some stupid reason, the aftermarket socket pigtails have no indication of which wires are which. There are three black wires, how stupid is that?

[​IMG]

So, I got out my meter and checked them, and then installed the turn signal socket on the right side. I assumed that the other socket would be exactly the same, so I wired it up the same way. Then I've got no left turn signal with the headlights on, and on the dash the left turn signal indicator lit up when I turned on the headlights. Okay, seems like a ground problem. I wired up a new ground connection for the left side, after which the fuse blows. At this point, I know something is very wrong. As it turns out, the order of the wiring coming out of the other socket was completely different, not reversed, but completely random. :mad:

william tele, 2blue2 and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    What a pita
    If all the sockets are toast makes me think flood recovery, probably just old.

When ya get done with that could ya wire it up with a trailer light plug too?

just kidding

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    A few years ago, we were working on a model A truck.
    The repop light sockets that were available at the time, were mostly disappointing as a whole.

4. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    The electrical contacts were okay, but the gaskets/seals to keep debris and moisture out were old and worn out. I also broke some of the sockets on the left side.

The nuts were frozen on the turn lamp assembly and so the studs started backing of the plastic. I had the same thing happen on the right side. This time I got so mad I just ripped the whole thing off with the bezel. Then I cut slots in the studs with a Dremel for a screwdriver, and I hosed down the nuts with PB B'laster. It was a fun time.
    None of the aftermarket stuff is very good, but now that I've finished it, it's a huge improvement over how it was originally.

5. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Here's how it looked originally....

[​IMG]

And now... I need a new bumper ... lol

IMG_20181211_170632.jpg IMG_20181211_170623.jpg IMG_20181211_170612.jpg IMG_20181211_170553.jpg

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Pretty nice truck! Heck, I'd spend a couple hours and just sand that bumper and rattle can it black...

7. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I've thought about that, at least until after Christmas. I don't need to be spending money on a bumper right now. Although, I don't know about black, maybe a rattle can metallic grey.

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.