Tuning to Dial-tone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-evangelist, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Tele-evangelist

Tele-evangelist TDPRI Member

I'm sure most of you use digital tuners but I was wondering for those who don't, who else here in North America tunes their instruments to Dial-tone? About 5 years ago I met a musician who lives in Brazil and was visiting Canada who informed me that everyone he knows down there tunes by picking up the phone and tuning to the A-440 which is the highest and loudest pitch in the chord that makes up the signal. Underneight A-440 you can also find F-350 which I don't use because in our tempered tuning it's 349.23 to be exact. I thought he was kidding until he proved it to me and ever since then that's what I use. As I'm sure you know, A-440 is the frequency of the harmonic on the A string plucked at the 5th fret. Just wondering.

Here's a link for reference:

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/telecom/signaling/dialtone.html

Tim

2. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I had never heard of that before, but my tuner confirms it. A lit right up.

3. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

Danny Gatton, in one of his instructional videos touches on this.... but I'm pretty sure he tunes to the F.... so.... maybe that explains why I can't play any of his licks....

I'm 9.23 cents out of tune... :D

4. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I read about some guys who'd tune to 60Hz, so that any ground loop hum bore some musical relation to everything else.

5. Bob Marlec

Bob Marlec Tele-Meister

Here, in France , you can easily tune your guitar on the phone, it doesn't give a chord but a single note : A440 (I tune the 12th fret's harmonic on the A string).

6. Tele-evangelist

60Hz

If B natural is 61.735Hz, then you're not far off going with 60Hz. It's not a bad idea because it's easier to find hum than it is to find a phone at some venues I've played at.

Tim

7. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

In the Danny Gatton interview from an old issue of Guitar Player magazine I have (I can't remember the year but he's holding a Phantom of the Opera-like mask in front of his face on the cover) he talks about using the dial tone to tune. I thought I had the issue here at my house, but it may be at my parents house...

8. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

And here I though an F-350 was a Ford truck.

9. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting. All this time I thought I needed a tuner and I could have just been tuning to the hum in my amp. Silly me! I'll keep this in mind for future reference. A question though, will it still sound the same in Chinese?

Bob

10. Tele-evangelist

Chinese?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you meant "Can I tune that way in mainland China?", since they use a different AC system based on 50Hz, it would be a different note; more like 1.9 Hz flat of Ab instead of being flat of B natural. Taiwan I see is the same as North America... but then you were probably making a joke, No?

Tim

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've done it many times before when no tuner was around. It's an old trick used by touring musicians in a pinch.

12. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Yes, my sad attempt at a joke

So SOLLY!!!

Bob

13. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

I started tuning to the dial tone in the '60s.One day I picked up the phone to make a call,noticed it sounded musical,checked it.Voila!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.