Tuning Machine Heads

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by MZ506, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MZ506

MZ506 TDPRI Member

Hello all,

I’d like to upgrade the tuning machines on my MIM Tele Standard (2005). I’m looking for 1) high ratio (18:1 or 19:1), 2) non-locking, 3) left handed. Of course, I’d like them to fit my headstock.

I was looking at these Klusons:

https://www.wdmusic.com/kluson-6-in...y-diecast-series-tuning-machines-details.html

Someone at WD Music said these were a better fit:

https://www.wdmusic.com/kluson-6-in...n-series-h-mount-tuning-machines-details.html

And someone ELSE recommended an All Parts brand.

My question: will either of the above Klusons fit my Tele? Would both? Would one set fit better than another? Does anyone have experience with All Parts stuff (it’s significantly cheaper...)

(The tuners currently on my Tele are the standard Ping style with “Fender” written on the back. I’ve attached a pic which will hopefully work...)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

3. MZ506

MZ506 TDPRI Member

Those look great, but it seems like they don’t make them left-handed :(

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I do not recommend Klusons. They're OK and the quality is somewhat better, but in my experience they are inferior to Gotoh, by far, and Schaller, by far, and to a lesser degree, to Grovers. (I can't speak to other brands.) I think Gotoh and Schaller nail it, and the others do not. The rest are OK, if OK is sufficient. I have two very, very expensive guitars that came with Gotoh 510s for a reason.

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I got the Fender Classic tuners from Darren Riley's for a good price. (No relation to Darren ;))

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. MZ506

MZ506 TDPRI Member

Ok! That’s great advice! I’ll start looking at some Gotohs.

As for combatibility, is there some kind of online resource? When I go to Canadian Tire to get wiper blades for my car, there’s an interface where you enter all the info about your car and it tells you which blades are compatible—that seems like a tall order, but is there something like a chart somewhere??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.