Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tuners/Machine heads?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by devnulljp, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Absolute best locking tuners I've used are Hipshots. You can get a million different button styles, including vintage "bean" shaped. They can be had regularly for around $50-60 a set, are beautifully made, and work fantastically. I don't even consider others any more. I get mine from a place called SportHiTech (also on Ebay and Reverb). No affiliations, just satisfied after something like 7 sets from them. They make up custom sets as well, usually for no extra cost.

2. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

:eek:

3. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I have become a fan of the Graphtech Ratio tuners. I think a lot of people look at them with disdain because in their own opinion, Graphtech is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. I dont look at them like that. I tend to use alternate tunings a lot. The different gear ratios make that easier on the fly.

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    WOW! :eek:
    Upon researching Hipshot and SportHiTech's site, these tuners look quite nice and at a very friendly price. SportHiTech seems adamant about letting you know that they can/will make up any stagger and or knob configuration for seemingly little to no outrageous up-charge! It appears that this applies to locking as well as non-locking types. They don't seem to mention it at SportHiTech, but the Hipshot website shows three different post/string hole heights for the tuners, in 1mm increments from 19 to 21.

I have made several purchases from them through fleabay and all went just as expected. I think I'll try them for my next set of tuners!

Thanks For Sharing Mr. Ripthorn!
    Gene

5. telepraise

telepraise TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    I'm totally spoiled on Gotoh 510s. Dorky looking and pricy as all get out, but smooth, predictable, and at 18:1, you know exactly how much the pitch is going to move when you twist them. The mini's fit on a tele peg head and the bigger-sized 3 + 3s are like butter. Shop the $5,000+ boutique guitar market and you'll see no other machine on a single guitar. Makes tuning a pleasure.

6. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I just bought Kluson made by Tone Pros for $10 from StewMac as a Black Friday sale...not a build but an upgrade for my Predator...

7. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Hey Rip,

Was just going to ask about these. I keep seeing these on higher end custom builds, along with the Hipshot bridge. They look great but I have no experience with them, so your input is greatly appreciated.

I've used a bunch of lower priced tuners and have not been impressed. A cheap set of modern style 3x3 black tuners have already had to be replaced. I used a set of Gotoh's from All Parts as a replacement, so much better.

If someone here wants the tuners I took off, you can have them for the price of shipping to your house! PM for pics...

8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, they are phenomenal tuners. I don't think it's possible to find better tuners for the money. It makes my life easier knowing that I don't have to hem and haw about which tuners to use. Their customer service is incredible as well. I know that may all sound a little fan-boy-ish, but I just like them a ton.

The hipshot hardtail bridge is also a fantastic piece of hardware.

Barncaster and John Nicholas like this.

9. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

11. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I've monkeyed around a lot with Sperzels and had Grovers on a couple guitars, currently my electrics have Sperzel, Schaller and Klusons, the Schallers win. I hate reaming and filling screw holes or I would convert everything to Schaller.

Barncaster and eallen like this.

12. TuffyKohler

TuffyKohler TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Spokanada
    I’ve used hipshots on several builds, I like the open gear look, light weight, low price, and they work great. The seller mentioned ships quickly too.

I did get a set of Ratio tuners from my local shop recently. I was skeptical, even told the guys at the shop they solve a problem that doesn’t exist...
    I’m a convert. I REALLY like them. It’s seems lazy, but having each tuner knob turn the same amount for each string is wonderful. (hard to describe, but this is the ‘problem’ they solved) they aren’t cheap though, but apparently have quite a few options for tuner buttons.

I need to replace the robot tuners on a 2015 Gibson traditional LP... haven’t made the decision yet, keep the classic look, or go for functional improvement...

13. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Schaller Mini M6 (non-locking).

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've never seen Hipshots at a low price. Tell us where you get them. I've avoided them because of price.

15. TuffyKohler

TuffyKohler TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Spokanada
    Low price is compared to some of the Grover’s or Schallers at over $100 a set... I’m talking under $60 shipped, which isn’t low compared to some of the GFS offerings.

I get them from Hipshots amazon store.

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    sporthitech is a great Hipshot dealer and the best price can be had through their fleabay store. They have all the different parts to allow you to custom choose your stagger (three different shaft/height lengths), the buttons you prefer, etc, all without any or much of an up-charge. I've not bought any Hipshots yet, but was impressed by their pricing, as well as the good experiences with other stuff I've gotten from them! Their website is a little wonky and, IMHO, poorly laid out, but...........

http://www.sporthitech.com

Just Sayin'
    Gene

LowThudd likes this.

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    They are my preferred dealer. I've bought several sets from them. They will custom make sets (like stagger, 4x2, or max string size) for no up charge. Button upgrades cost a little extra, but are still totally reasonable.

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I've done three parts guitars since August; all were intended to be budget roadworthy guitars in line with the Fender MIM guitars. I used Fender Standards, Wilkinson Grover-style, and GFS Gotohs on the three. I'd use all three again. All are solid and reliable.

19. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm putting these on my current build.

Wilkinson EZ Lock

I was attracted to the idea of staggered posts so I (might) (maybe) won't need string trees.

20. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    [​IMG] I just added a Bigsby B5 and some Gotoh split post tuners to my tele. Ran some abrasive cord through the nut slots and the saddles, then added nut sauce to all contact points and it's holding tune like a champ.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.