Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tuners/Machine heads?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by devnulljp, Nov 24, 2017.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2008
    Canada
    So what tuners are you guys using on your builds?
    I've only ever really had standard Klusons, but I fancy trying some locking tuners.
    What's good? The Allparts ones any good?

2. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I like Gotoh a lot, personally. Solid, smooth, never had an issue.

Tootle, Barncaster and gitold like this.

3. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

Schaller locking. Like a work of art at a price to match but worth it.

jazzman1021 and viccortes285 like this.

4. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2008
    Canada
    Had a heart attack -- the stewmac page makes it look like they're 100 each.
    The Schallers only seem to come in 10mm peg hole size -- my neck has 11/32" holes.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    eallen likes this.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I like Gotoh, TonePros(same thing). Nice tuners.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Funny, I was just looking up prices on tuners. For vintage I like Gotoh. For modern I like the Grover mini Rotomatics. I've also used the GFS vintage ones and they work just fine. Pricing can be an issue for us in Canada due to exchange so if it's more of a budget build for a friend I'll get the GFS ones and I've never had a problem with them.

Tootle and Tonetele like this.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If you like the vintage look of your Kulsons, but want to try lockers, you could try the locking version of the Gotoh vintage.
    Like this:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=302521436709
    Kluson makes a vintage locker too but they work differently than the Gotohs and not quite as elegant, IMO. They look like they work the same but they don't. Either will probably be a direct replacement for your current vintage tuners as well, with no extra work.
    The balance will stay the same too. I agree with eallen above that the Schaller are lovely but they do weigh quite a bit. They have also gone up in price a lot! I just took a look online and wow. It's been less than two years since I bought my last set and they were routinely available for around $70 a set then.

Cheers,
    Rex

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Gotoh makes great stuff at reasonable prices. Schallers might be better, they certainly cost more. I just found a set of Schallers used on reverb to put on my PRS SE, otherwise I would have gone with one of the Gotoh lockers.
    Honestly, all the major brands locking tuners are pretty good. I've had fine luck with Planet Waves string-cutting ones, but found the string cutting feature gimmicky and annoying, fine with Gotohs, one guitar has Sperzels which are also fine.

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I like Planet Waves self trimming locking tuners when I am not using split post Kluson or Gotoh.

20140425_115721.jpg

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I like Gotoh and you can get them in a Vintage slot head style.

P.S. The drill hole size is 25/64 " (9.2 mm), I have that unusual drill bit for just this job. The bushes are 10mm. hence the 10mm. hole size to match the bushes.

13. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

Lol, shop online for Schallers and I find them for $80 or under. I never buy the "Fender Schallers", or anything else Fender for that matter, since it is a toss up of who made them. The Fender ones made by Ping of same design are decent but not quit Schaller. IMHO.

For vintage locking I agree with others on Gotoh. The only two I use unless asked to do otherwise.

Just ream your holes up a hair for the Schallers. The Gotohs I have gotten usually include bushing for either 9 or 10 mm.

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Another vote here for Grovers.

15. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Grover mini (Gibson new-takeoffs) for the cheapo eBay kit I did and Ping (Fender new-takeoffs) for two Tele builds.

I've not spent more than $40 for "decent" tuners. Call me cheap. I like it.

16. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I have to.look at my Simpson voltmeter...... I'm thinking your peghead logo might match it?

17. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

18. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I totally agree!:cool: Only downside is that they are 3 tall and 3 short, but would be much more effective at avoiding string trees if they had 4 shorts or even all short! I've used several/many sets and love them. On the other hand, for a guitar that desired different mounting, I tried a set of genuine Schallers that looked nearly the same and found the quality a bit less the the F-logo units. A couple were a little stiff and glitchy and the stagger is created by where the holes are drilled, instead of the height of the posts. I would not, however, bother with locking on a fixed bridge guitar, they typically get standard vintage style, if a Fender type guitar and Grover Roto-matic on Gibsons.
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

rich815 likes this.

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Keep your eyes open on eBay. I just bought a set of New/open box Gotoh SG381 Gold with pearloid buttons for $35 shipped.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.